Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Xbox 360 Pro Being Phased Out Pretty Soon? watch

ReputationRep:
    Xbox 360 Pro Being Phased Out Pretty Soon?

The staple Xbox 360 - the Xbox 360 Pro - looks set to march straight off retail shelves and into the history books, if new console packaging is anything to go by.

First hinted at by Ars Technica's ever-reliable mole in June, then further hinted at by new 360 packshot renders later that month, photos sent to us by GameStop employees earlier this week seem to offer proof that Microsoft will soon go from offering three Xbox 360 consoles to just two.

Source: Xbox-Scene

ReputationRep:
    as has been said many times on other sites : they discontinued the wrong one.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, if this is right i think it's a brilliant decision based on market postioning - meaning there's a a chance of an improved 360 and also £189 Jasper 360 elites...

ReputationRep:
    they should have discontinued the arcade, not having a hard drive in every console has held back games from a technical standpoint to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    they should have discontinued the arcade, not having a hard drive in every console has held back games from a technical standpoint to an extent.
    But with no Arcade, how would people with hard drives, leads etc. buy replacement consoles? By paying even more money? Pft I say!

The elite should be the one gone and just sell the big hard drive on its own. It's not like Microsoft are shy on making us pay 5 times the price for hard drive space just because it's for the Xbox rather than a PC.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good move from Microsoft, because by giving games on demand (so probably 5-8gb per game), they know that 60GB hard drives wont cut it anymore among hardcore gamers, who'll need the elite. At the same time they are not alienating the other customers who bought the arcade and do not have any need for the arcade (say you just bought your console for 1 game or whatever) Like it or hate it, the arcade is probably here to stay until the next xbox.

Sony on the other hand will probably split their PSP fanbase by introducing a hardware revision for their PSP and leave it with almost similar specs and remove the UMD (a failed format I agree) without giving gamers enough incentive to upgrade to the new model (no 2nd analog stick, exhorbitant price, not enough games on the PSN store for PSP right now)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    its a good move for microsoft as they try and win the holiday console wars agains sony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    its a good move for microsoft as they try and win the holiday console wars agains sony
    I don't see what they'd be able to do against, say, a PS3 Slim release + $100 price cut. Dropping the price of the Elite would, at best, be damage limitation.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that once the Pro is phased out they'll release a larger capacity hard drive on its own. I guess it makes more sense to sell the console and then let people buy a larger hard drive if they want to, than to have 3 different build qualities. I don't know why they don't go one step further and just sell one model that you can buy with or without a hard drive. Microsoft probably want to keep the arcade to compete with the Wii.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    I don't see what they'd be able to do against, say, a PS3 Slim release + $100 price cut. Dropping the price of the Elite would, at best, be damage limitation.
    Yeah it very much looks like that as a PS3 slim + price cut would seem very strong but the 360 has the advatange of having already lots on units in homes, its the classic 'ill buy a 360 because my friends have one' i cant really see the PS3 selling more consoles in the UK or USA this year andf if so not enough to change the dynamics of the console war.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is perhaps likely if the rumours for a natal based midrange system or perhaps to have a 3 tier system when natal comes out that would be:

1.) Arcade - £119.99
    2.) Elite - £189.99
    3.) Natal - £249.99

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.