Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    I do it, but in my own way.
    I'm the same. I don't publicise it though.

ReputationRep:
    I do, to the Antony Nolan Trust and Amnesty International, around £10/month. It's nothing really, I'd spend £10 without a second thought really, and I'm not particularly well-off. I also make sod all money off my savings because I bank with Triodos, rather than a high-street bank which could offer me actual interest rates but who does dodgy dealings. I also volunteer.

Not everyone is in the position to be able to donate money, obviously, I don't think money is the only way you can give. I think we should encourage people to volunteer their time more, and to protest more.

I say this time and time again, and I know it sounds like excuses but it makes sense:

Pumping money into poor countries wont help them, it'll give them inflation and it also encourages the emergence of corrupt leaders who want to keep the aid money for themselves at the expense of those who need it. I can't give money to charity unless I know that neither of those things will happen as a result of it.

Secondly, what Africa and other poor areas of the world need, is free and fair trade. They need nations to support them and help them grow by actually accepting their produce rather than forming alliances (e.g. the EU) without them involved, and then putting up huge trade tariffs against them. If we just accepted African produce rather than blocking them out and subsidising European farms; sure some European farmers would lose jobs, but European people would get tax breaks and cheaper agricultural goods - extra money could be reinvested into the economy to give those who lose jobs new ones anyway; and Africans would finally get to sell their produce to Europe and make profits from it, they could reinvest these profits into the agricultural sector or others, and prosper.

Meanwhile in terms of private charity/aid, all I'm willing to do is work that helps their infastructure. I don't want to just give money away, but if I could do something useful like help teach people how to farm for their own food etc, and it's lazyness on my part that I haven't found out which charity is best for that. If anybody knows feel free to tell me, I'm pretty open to the idea of charity work. But the reason I don't have my act together is because I have no job and no income. If I have a stable income I'll give money to charity and that's not an empty promise, I really believe that I will.

ReputationRep:
    £18 a month. It's not much, but it's the best I can do. I sponsor a little girl, she's called Roshni

ReputationRep:
    I don't do things by half measures. If i'm going to donate to a cause, i'm going to want to solve the whole damned problem. £2 a month ain't gone do **** relative to that. Wait till i'm filthy rich then i'll set up a trust or something. In the meantime, the money i don't donate is an investment in me - it'll come back even bigger later on. Believe that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Europe should just leave Africa alone tbh. The West pumping billions of pounds of aid into Africa will ultimately never solve anything.
    Well Europe clearly has a problem leaving anything vaguely interesting alone. However, a lack of European intervention will just leave most of Africa open to India and China as is the case in much of Africa now. Several African nations are incredibly rich minerally, and Chinese companies especially has been known to upturn mountains to get at those metals whilst displacing thousands of native people.

(Original post by dmae)
    This.

And OP don't even try to make me feel bad, my money - my decision =)
    You must live a very deep and fulfilling life indulging yourself hedonistically. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I say this time and time again, and I know it sounds like excuses but it makes sense:

Pumping money into poor countries wont help them, it'll give them inflation and it also encourages the emergence of corrupt leaders who want to keep the aid money for themselves at the expense of those who need it. I can't give money to charity unless I know that neither of those things will happen as a result of it.

Secondly, what Africa and other poor areas of the world need, is free and fair trade. They need nations to support them and help them grow by actually accepting their produce rather than forming alliances (e.g. the EU) without them involved, and then putting up huge trade tariffs against them. If we just accepted African produce rather than blocking them out and subsidising European farms; sure some European farmers would lose jobs, but European people would get tax breaks and cheaper agricultural goods - extra money could be reinvested into the economy to give those who lose jobs new ones anyway; and Africans would finally get to sell their produce to Europe and make profits from it, they could reinvest these profits into the agricultural sector or others, and prosper.

Meanwhile in terms of private charity/aid, all I'm willing to do is work that helps their infastructure. I don't want to just give money away, but if I could do something useful like help teach people how to farm for their own food etc, and it's lazyness on my part that I haven't found out which charity is best for that. If anybody knows feel free to tell me, I'm pretty open to the idea of charity work. But the reason I don't have my act together is because I have no job and no income. If I have a stable income I'll give money to charity and that's not an empty promise, I really believe that I will.
    I think I vaguely mentioned the exact same thing (about not pumping money into Africa) on the previous page somewhere. :yep:

Oh, and by charities, I had charities here in mind - things like Mind, rethink, BHF etc

ReputationRep:
    Am arrogant and self-centred :indiff:

I think I vaguely mentioned the exact same thing (about not pumping money into Africa) on the previous page somewhere. :yep:

Oh, and by charities, I had charities here in mind - things like Mind, rethink, BHF etc
    How do you feel about the free trade issues then? Oh and I also think we should call of African debt (but also stop giving them government aid, only private charity please.)

What do Mind, rethink, BHF do - whats good about them? I know shockingly little about charity. I might volunteer at the night shelter though, that'll be a good deed. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Europe should just leave Africa alone tbh. The West pumping billions of pounds of aid into Africa will ultimately never solve anything.
    I do donate to charity regularly. To be honest, I don't really spend money much I don't really feel the urge to. I do volunteer work too, so I'm helping in my small way.

The West pumping money into Africa does do good. But since Africa are paying the West back so much money due to debt, the overall net profit Africa gains isn't much. Yes corruption does exist, as is always going to be a problem, this could be solved by more vocal and active intervention by the governments, i.e. supporting those in Africa to run/set up their organisations to solve the problems in our country. While I realise that the situation is bad at the moment, as Africa is being provided with better education (due to funding for schools, books etc.), and in turn that encourages democracy. I really do think that better education holds the key to trying to rid corruption. It's not really Africa's fault that they have corruption, it's just those Africans who have used corruption to gain power and money are basically copying, carrying on the methods in which the West used. It's easy to give up on Africa but really for all the damage in which the West inflicted on it, it's problems are understandable. In fact to some extent the West are still exploiting those in third world countries.

It's actually a pity that the West didn't try and develop Africa and invest in them. Look at India and Brazil, they are doing very well. The problem from an economical standpoint it doesn't make as much sense to develop Africa.

ReputationRep:
    I can't afford it.

I can't set up a direct debit as i have no income. So if i did i would just get bank changes building up till i ended up bankrupt.

If i was better off i would consider doing it, especially cancer research as my grandad died of lung cancer.

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel about the free trade issues then? Oh and I also think we should call of African debt (but also stop giving them government aid, only private charity please.)

What do Mind, rethink, BHF do - whats good about them? I know shockingly little about charity. I might volunteer at the night shelter though, that'll be a good deed. :o:
    Mind and rethink are both mental health charities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    I do donate to charity regularly. To be honest, I don't really spend money much I don't really feel the urge to. I do volunteer work too, so I'm helping in my small way.

The West pumping money into Africa does do good. But since Africa are paying the West back so much money due to debt, the overall net profit Africa gains isn't much. Yes corruption does exist, as is always going to be a problem, this could be solved by more vocal and active intervention by the governments, i.e. supporting those in Africa to run/set up their organisations to solve the problems in our country. While I realise that the situation is bad at the moment, as Africa is being provided with better education (due to funding for schools, books etc.), and in turn that encourages democracy. I really do think that better education holds the key to trying to rid corruption. It's not really Africa's fault that they have corruption, it's just those Africans who have used corruption to gain power and money are basically copying, carrying on the methods in which the West used. It's easy to give up on Africa but really for all the damage in which the West inflicted on it, it's problems are understandable. In fact to some extent the West are still exploiting those in third world countries.

It's actually a pity that the West didn't try and develop Africa and invest in them. Look at India and Brazil, they are doing very well. The problem from an economical standpoint it doesn't make as much sense to develop Africa.
    Well, pumping aid into Africa - just look back through history - has solved nothing. It fuels this vicious cycle of greed, of corruption, of total dependency which simply can never be stopped until Africa is allowed to get back on it's own two feet - the point where the natives realise that they simply can't rely on aid and have to co-operate, have to stop the numerous civil feuds and have to learn skills simply to be abe to survive. Then, with time, thing's should get better....

There'd obviously have to be alot of death/starvation to achieve this first....

ReputationRep:
    Er, because I really can't afford to. Some weeks I am left with no money at all and end up living on fruit and crisps, the minute I get money I usually need it for either travel, credit or food

ReputationRep:

Whatever you wrote on free trade sounds great, but I'll be honest and admit I don't know much about it. :o:

Oh, mind and rethink are just a couple of mental health charities over in the UK, and BHF = the British Heart Foundation. Done quite a bit of campaigning for mind and rethink and have been volunteering for years with BHF and Cancer Research ... 'tis quite fun and sociable actually. :yes:

Oh, and this:

Well, pumping aid into Africa - just look back through history - has solved nothing. It fuels this vicious cycle of greed, of corruption, of total dependency which simply can never be stopped until Africa is allowed to get back on it's own two feet - the point where the natives realise that they simply can't rely on aid and have to co-operate, have to stop the numerous civil feuds and have to learn skills simply to be abe to survive. Then, with time, thing's should get better....

There'd obviously have to be alot of death/starvation to achieve this first....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    becuase i can't afford to i am a student who is trying to save for uni. and i fund raise at least once a year for my good cause so thats enough for me

ReputationRep:
    they always wrap the penny in the reciept and it then doesnt fit in the gap!

But seriously though, I suspect people are too lazy to ring up and set up a direct debit etc.

ReputationRep:
    I do?

ReputationRep:
    I am part of the charity committee at school therefore exempt.

ReputationRep:
    Not the 'oh, I have a penny left over from my extra fatty Big Mac and it'd take less effort to stuff it in the coin box rather than in my rapidly expanding fat-folds', but the monthly direct debit transactions that charitites are desperate for to plan ahead and to budget respectively?

Even if it is a couple of pounds a month or whatever, why don't you regularly contribute to charity?

And don't you dare tell me you can't afford to spare a few pence a day biatches. :mad:
    I do give out money to charities especially if there are representing a cause that touches my heart dearly, and also help these in need but only in cash as I don't pass out my bank account details to these street folder holding people sorry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.