Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because I am not earning any money of my own. Once I start earning I will donate. I give my clothes to charity and I once gave food to a homeless old man.

ReputationRep:
    My self-righteous self-important hippie student sense is tingling...

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but our Gov funds charities and foreign aid, not to mention the unemployed. I know this because they take a nice fat £80 a week from my hard earned cash. So I don't need to donate, the government has done it for me..

ReputationRep:
    - i can't afford it.

- is there an absolute reason i should? :confused:

- a human being who is not selfish is not a human being. :yes: nobody is owed anything.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe charities will spend my money in the best way, and don't believe that throwing money at causes is the best way to go about charity.

ReputationRep:
    I used to give to a few charities by direct debit. But then every so often they would call me up and ask me to increase the amount i was giving, that pissed me off so i just cancelled it.

When i'm older and actually have money to give away, i will happily give to charities. Not animal ones though.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't have a regular income but whenever friend's of mine do events to raise money I always give them at least £5 more if I can.

As soon as I have a regular income I will be donating money to charities (Cancer Research & the NSPCC).

To make up for the fact I can't donate money regularly I always try to do sponsored events and whenever I see a person collecting money I put at least £1 in if I have cash more if I can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I give plenty of money to charity in charity shops. Plus, I'm a student, I'm meant to be poor.

Once I start earning, then I will properly.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that I don't? :haughty:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really donate money but i donate loads of books and clothes and other random items to the local charity shop, does that count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    I know. Terrible isn't it. If 1000 people donated £2 you'd have enough for..

an African leaders lovely watch
    More like 10,000 to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I will once I have a stable income.
    This. I used to do one for a few months £8.50 a month to the British Red Cross but I stopped as I'm looking for a permanent job now. I could afford it now I know, but I want to save all the money I can until I'm stable. When I started it I was a bit reluctant - a guy came round to the door and asked for my bank details... I didn't think I'd have to give bank details there and then until I was half way trhough the form. Wasn't too comfortable with that.

ReputationRep:
    I donate to the Neck Clicker Fund. For the cost of your daily coffee, you too can help those who have suffered neck punchings in the past and those who are still deeply affected by it now.

ReputationRep:
    Dosn't the government donate to charity on taxpayers behalf? Thats why i don't donate cash.
    Old clothes and shoes i put in the charity bags we get however.

ReputationRep:
    I don't, because I'm heavily of the opinion that it will make no difference what so ever. That, and I find it hard to give a ****, I have more important things to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Because I am a charity and I have no legs. Why should I donate if I have no legs?

ReputationRep:
    The adverts annoy me and put me off doing it tbh. Also imho, it will make a small difference to a person but not to the population as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    I donate monthly but not by direct debit. I used to, but got calls all the time (especially from the NSPCC, who rang at least once a month :mad:) asking for more money which I found pretty rude and intrusive. So my advice to anyone is give to charity but put your £2 or whatever in a charity money box thing rather than paying by direct debit.
    This. I've donated to various charities in the past direct from my bank and they're now forever sending me letters to ask for more money. It upsets me tbh.

That said I'm forever buying things from charity shops and donating things to charity shops and putting money in the charity box in shops so I do my own small bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    I do it, but in my own way.
    How? I'm curious

I plan to.. once I'm old enough and have a steady income. Except I won't donate in the way the OP stated.. I have my own plans ty.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.