Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't have the ability to care about something that does not directly or indirectly affect me.

ReputationRep:
    I hep those in my local area who need help...the homeless. I think I can re-distribute my limited amound of money more efficiently than a charity with advertising, office space overheads.

ReputationRep:
    Because I would rather spend it on myself? Can you handle my truth? Don't wanna look rough now

ReputationRep:
    Because some of these Charities are deceptive i.e. things like Children In Need and Comic Relief. But I do give to sickle cell charities.

Having said so, maybe I should change my name to charity. That way I can walk around with a big sign saying "Give Money To Charity". The police won't be able to arrest me because I never said that the money would be given to a charity, it will justbe given to me Charity :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Because the guys who harass me in the street wind me up. Also, I've analysed marketing budgets for charities and the money they spend is obscene. I think it could be better used.

Also, when its for donating to countries like Zimbabwe/Africa, I don''t trust the money makes that much of a positive effect due to corrupt regimes and so forth. I'd much rather help UK based projects.

We ALL donate to charity in one way though. When Gordon Brown donates £50m to a developing country do you think he pays for it personally or leaves it to the taxpayer?

Finally, I could do without more money coming out of my debit account. I have Phone, car insurance, TV license, rent, bills and more. its easier just to drop in a collection box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)

And don't you dare tell me you can't afford to spare a few pence a day biatches. :mad:
    I really can't. I'm £400 overdrawn, and will only get more so until uni starts again and I get my loan through.

I plan on donating when I am in a stable, full time Job. Just now I haven't got the consistent disposable income I would need.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't have a job so therefore don't have money to even buy myself food? When I get a job I'll be donating to cancer research though :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I do. £2.50 a month, yeah I know it's not much..
    apparently every little helps! You shouldn't say its not much, as it all does help (imagine cheesy music whilst reading that btw).

People shouldn't be made to feel bad whether they give money to charity or not, as it is our personal choice. Clearly, it would be nice if everyone did give money to charity (especially in form of direct debit- as it helps charitys plan), but no one should be made to feel crap if they don't.

Most people on here won't have a regular income and that is probably why, I think a lot of older people do give money to charities however they probably do not announce it as that is not the reason to give.

ReputationRep:
    Because i have no regular income at the moment? And even if i did, i might not give to charity because i have problems of my own for which i need money.

ReputationRep:
    I don't donate but I try to give time. I help out with Lowland Search Dogs Kent, although I'm not trained I help out with fundraising and awareness. I was also going to join KSAR but I'm going to uni in September so I wouldn't be much help! So I don't donate money because I don't want to, but I'm happy to help out.

ReputationRep:
    My parents had a bad experience with either Oxfam or NSPCC. They were quite happily giving £3 a month or something until one day we received a call from them suggesting that we increase it to £15 a month as £3 wasn't enough. Ever since, my parents haven't given to charity and I don't plan to.
    Although I do pop my spare change in the box if they have one. Anything less than a 50p coin just sits on my side and doesn't get spent.

ReputationRep:
    Because students have other worries.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Because I seriously can't afford it. I have spent many hours volunteering for various charities though. When I can afford to, I will give money.
    Although saying that, I do occasionally put a couple of pounds in a collection if I happen to have it and it's for a cause I'm very interested in.
    Plus I buy a ridiculous amount of books from charity shops :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......)
    How? I'm curious

I plan to.. once I'm old enough and have a steady income. Except I won't donate in the way the OP stated.. I have my own plans ty.

Well once in October it was really chilly so I bought a busker a cup of tea from starbucks aond another time I gave a homeless person £5 because I'd just bought a dress form topshop and felt rather guilty

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell should if the Government is already spending so much ******* money. If they weren't, I guess I would.

ReputationRep:
    I have £10 in my account for the next week. After that I'll have £80. I'm saving it (and a bit more) for fresher's week. I do a lot of charity work, which I do believe outweighs how much I'd donate each month if I could. Apart from the fact that I have a ow income and won't have a job from October, I'm working freelance and saving up for something. If I land a job at uni, I'll donate regularly like I used to, and continue my charity work of course.

More notably, I've seen charity scams and bad spending; I'd rather work it off instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Because I don't have the ability to care about something that does not directly or indirectly affect me.
    This.

I am about to start paying taxes, this is more than enough.

Plus I am lazy and selfish. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I find the adverts really disgusting. Whenever I watch them following around starving children living in squalor I always think 'did they get consent to film these kids'. I wonder if the crew just go to some ghetto in India/Africa and are like 'hi, we want to show how poor you are, can we film you?'.

As for giving to charity, I don't, cos I'm trying to save up. I volunteer instead and try to donate and only buy from charity shops. I don't think I would ever donate to a mainstream charity just cos I don't know where the money is actually going. Instead (when I do have a steady income' I'm going to give money to a school I volunteered at because I know the head teacher and know she would put the money to good use.

I find the people who raise money on the streets really annoying. You'll get like 5 all raising money for the same charity on the same road. Do they paid commision?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To put it simply, I don't care enough.

ReputationRep:
    because i dont earn much. and charities are usually to do with things the government should sort out itself, without the help of people.
    why should i give money to something the government should be doing when they already tax me?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.