Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a junior at what I do at work. In my company I am also the youngest and newest employee which means I am on probation.

A short while after I started, a new starter came (CTO ok so I am not the newest but still VERY new and new enough to be still learning internal procedures) and I was late for a few days. This is 100% my fault and I also made the mistake of not letting my line manager know on a couple (2-3) ocassions. No excuse for that but I did warn him on some ocassions. He told me the CTO is keeping tabs on everybody and as I am a junior on probation (love that) I need to be extra careful.

So since then I've come in on time, but out of politeness if someone is walking towards the door as I am exiting the same door, I would hold it open. We require swipe cards and the other person still swipes in (I only do this for any employee in the company). I sit closest to the door in my office and when the security guy comes with post, he would be able to see me so when he knocks I open the door. If I didn't, I'd look selfish as colleagues would think I am closest but cba to open the door.

Anyway, today the CTO complained about this to my team leader (Who I told via txt I know you're discussing me) and my team leader would no doubt have a talk with me. To make things worse, the CTO can naturally monitor me as his seating position means I am right in front of his line of sight (but my line manager sits on my right and in between the distance of me and the CTO).

My team leader, who I have a good relationship with, simply said the CTO is picking on me as I am young, new and all of those reasons above. Thanks to this, I don't want to work at this company anymore and of course this means I am in the worst possible position if I feel like that because I have to start again with making an impression/probation in any new job and the jobs market is crap due to the damn recession.

What should I do? I'm sure it'll get worse. Funnily enough, my horoscope said something about nice guys finishing last and holding the door open for people but how this could also mean I am remembered in the future (or in this case, for the wrong reasons).

Any ideas how to handle this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What's there to complain about- you being polite? This seems a very odd state of affairs- if I were you I'd stay put, and your team leader, if you're mates with them, will look after you :yy: Keep hold of that job, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Blade-)
    I am a junior at what I do at work. In my company I am also the youngest and newest employee which means I am on probation.

A short while after I started, a new starter came (CTO ok so I am not the newest but still VERY new and new enough to be still learning internal procedures) and I was late for a few days. This is 100% my fault and I also made the mistake of not letting my line manager know on a couple (2-3) ocassions. No excuse for that but I did warn him on some ocassions. He told me the CTO is keeping tabs on everybody and as I am a junior on probation (love that) I need to be extra careful.

So since then I've come in on time, but out of politeness if someone is walking towards the door as I am exiting the same door, I would hold it open. We require swipe cards and the other person still swipes in (I only do this for any employee in the company). I sit closest to the door in my office and when the security guy comes with post, he would be able to see me so when he knocks I open the door. If I didn't, I'd look selfish as colleagues would think I am closest but cba to open the door.

Anyway, today the CTO complained about this to my team leader (Who I told via txt I know you're discussing me) and my team leader would no doubt have a talk with me. To make things worse, the CTO can naturally monitor me as his seating position means I am right in front of his line of sight (but my line manager sits on my right and in between the distance of me and the CTO).

My team leader, who I have a good relationship with, simply said the CTO is picking on me as I am young, new and all of those reasons above. Thanks to this, I don't want to work at this company anymore and of course this means I am in the worst possible position if I feel like that because I have to start again with making an impression/probation in any new job and the jobs market is crap due to the damn recession.

What should I do? I'm sure it'll get worse. Funnily enough, my horoscope said something about nice guys finishing last and holding the door open for people but how this could also mean I am remembered in the future (or in this case, for the wrong reasons).

Any ideas how to handle this?

Thanks
    Doesn't sound like there's much to complain about here really, sorry to sound unsympathetic. You can't just walk into a company and be highly regarded by everyone around you - respect is something to be earned. Stick it out, show that you can add value to the company through being polite and carrying out your job effectively, things will get better!

ReputationRep:
    You're all missing the point.

I am naturally polite. I hold the door open or get up to help someone who wants to go out of the office but has his/her hands full with tea/papers etc.

I have said several times to my own line manager that I don't expect you to trust me even if I do nothing wrong, but I expect to earn it by doing things right. I never expected to walk into this job and be trusted, especially as a junior (always comes down to that, guess that is life).

Last poster - you say add value by being polite, this is exactly what seems to be getting me in the bad books of the CTO. Opening the door for someone in need is a good deed. If I don't, the guy who may be struggling will see me doing nothing (As will anyone else in the office but much further away from me/the door) and that will probably have repercussions too.

I am telling the entire story here. It does sound very odd, yes. But then given the circumstances I am the wrong who has to prove a point.

ReputationRep:
    Stop opening the bloody door then.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a union member? If so, become one - it'll help you out if you need to argue your case.

ReputationRep:
    The CTO obviously has a bad opinion of you because of you being late a few times- which you say was entirely your own fault. And maybe he sees you opening the door as a way of getting out of doing work for a minute.

I'd say try your hardest, arrive on time, do everything that's asked of you and then you can start earning the respect of your superiors and working your way up the company.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.