Turn on thread page Beta

writing the IB Extended Essay in English -in need of some advice watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm writing my Extended Essay, entitled "Language in Lolita - Nabokov's way of seducing the reader". My problem is a matter of style really, while developing the body of my EE, I've been using sub-headings (is that what they are called?), and I was wondering if I could keep them or if I should get rid of them when handing it in. My sub-headings are "the problem of perception", "butterfly symmetry" and "satire is a lesson, parody is a game". They all deal with language, but are slightly differently angled, and I'm having problems making smooth transitions between the three lines of argument (having sub-headings would solve that problem).
    Anyone have any experience with this?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the offical IBO guidelines then? Or know where I can get them? I tried the IBO site, but for some reason you need a password...

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure sub-headings are acceptable. I mean, they encourage writing in chapter format so it would seem strange of them to have any gripes with sub-headings. If you REALLY REALLY need to know I'll dig out my copy of the guidelines, it's just the fact that its presently residing in an unknown location, somewhere in the abyss that is my room that is putting me off at the moment .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Anyone have the offical IBO guidelines then? Or know where I can get them? I tried the IBO site, but for some reason you need a password...
    Have you checked IBO's homepages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    I'm pretty sure sub-headings are acceptable. I mean, they encourage writing in chapter format so it would seem strange of them to have any gripes with sub-headings. If you REALLY REALLY need to know I'll dig out my copy of the guidelines, it's just the fact that its presently residing in an unknown location, somewhere in the abyss that is my room that is putting me off at the moment .
    It's just that one doesn't usually write literary essays with sub-headings... And IBO has so many formal criterias... I found the guidelines on the web (thanks anyways), but it doesn't say specifically. It says "only use sub-headings where appropriate" - so I was guesiing English might be one of the inappropriate subjects to do it in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Have you checked IBO's homepages?
    Read my posts before you answer, will you?

IBO site = IBO homepage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Read my posts before you answer, will you?

IBO site = IBO homepage
    Ooooooooooooooops.....

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.