Turn on thread page Beta

Overtaking on the motorway watch

ReputationRep:
    When I was overtaking on the motorway, I accidentally sped up to over 70mph for a short period of time without noticing. As soon as I noticed I was speeding I slowed right down.

If the police caught me speeding for a short period of time while overtaking would they be forgiving or give a ticket out anyway? Also, is a speeding ticket always accompanied with an endorsement on your license or are there exceptions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterR)
    When I was overtaking on the motorway, I accidentally sped up to over 70mph for a short period of time without noticing. As soon as I noticed I was speeding I slowed right down.

If the police caught me speeding for a short period of time while overtaking would they be forgiving or give a ticket out anyway? Also, is a speeding ticket always accompanied with an endorsement on your license or are there exceptions?
    To be fair, the Rozzers tend not to bother you on the motorways unless you're doing over 80.

ReputationRep:
    unless there are cameras around no one is going to notice you speeding.

Technically it is illegal, even when over taking, or at least that is what my driving instructor told me a few years ago.

But as said above, don't be daft and the police don't bother you. Cameras are unforgiving, but as far as i kno there are none on the Motorway. They do have a bit of leeway, Normally the margin is speed limit + 10% to allow for various instrumental error, just don't push it.

ReputationRep:

Did they actually stop you?

If not, you will not have a ticket unless they were waiting on the side of the road with cameras.

When I use the motorways, i tend to be in a rush, and travel at between 80-95mph because the roads are clear. Just make sure you are checking your mirrors (as you should be anyway).

ReputationRep:
    My driving instructor made me do it in a lesson cause the person I was overtaking started speeding up... I was like "I'm going over 70!" and he said "Carry on... it's fine". It was shocking... anyway sorry for the irrelevant anecdote butyes back to the thread... shouldn't you be checking your mirrors... if theres speed cameras and police cars around you... just dont do it?

ReputationRep:
    The police are never going to catch you on the motorway, just worry about cameras.

ReputationRep:

even though the limit is 70, they tend not to worry so much on any speeds up to 80

id say as well that as its only a short time period that its ok, as long as you dont do speed for the whole journey

ReputationRep:
    Meh, on the right hand lane the cars are doing 80-90 mph, so I wouldn't worry about going a touch over 70.

ReputationRep:
    if they do see ya, just ram your foot down mate

ReputationRep:
    Lol, M1 south to London cars on the right hand lane always doing 85+

ReputationRep:
    My dad regularly drives at 90-95 on the motorway, he's never been caught for speeding because of it. There are no cameras on motorways (with the exception of when there's road works and specific speed limits and stuff) and if you notice a police car slow down to under 80 and they won't care.

ReputationRep:
    I always make a point of doing 100mph atleast once when Im on the M1, never got a ticket..

ReputationRep:

I've been caught doing WAY over 70 but as long as you've got a reasonable reason you can get let off by officers.

However if it's a camera there is very little room for movement.

ReputationRep:
    How do you mean if they caught you? If it was by a mobile camera you would definitely get a ticket doing over 77, however its totally down to the discretion of the officer and they can send you a FPN (fixed penalty notice) for doing just 71 if they want to. If you agree to the FPN you will get a minimum of 3 penalty points and a £60 fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiVji)
    I always make a point of doing 100mph atleast once when Im on the M1, never got a ticket..
    Your a very silly boy. I only go over 100 when necessary...

To take over a **** in an old BMW!

ReputationRep:
    Unmarked police are unlikely to bother you unless you're going 85+. Obviously if you sail passed a marked car at 80, then they'll probably think you're taking the piss and pull you. I tend to stick to 80-85, as even if you get pulled at that speed, you're unlikely to get more than a ticking off and you're certainly not going to be losing your license. In all honesty, I'd be comfortable doing 100+ a lot of the time. But, unless it's empty (like "M6 Toll at 3:00am on a weekday with literally no other cars in sight" empty) then it's really not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    You should bear in mind that your speedometer usually overestimates speed (compare with a sat nav speed) and according to sat nav my speedo overestimates by a whole 10%! so at 77, apparently I'm actually doing 70 on mine. You were probably doing about exactly seventy or just a couple of mph over. If you were doing more than that you'd probably be ****** by a gatso, but they aren't going to be bothered and their visual estimation of speed can't be that accurate without help of equipment. I feel fairly safe doing something in the region of 70-78 on my speedo but I will never go over that (probably mainly because it starts to sound like my car is going to explode).

It's advisable to keep an eye on your speedo especially around police, but I'm sure you would be fine in this situation.

ALSO: I disagree with the above poster. On journeys involving hundreds of miles, I find it really makes a difference to my timing if I maintain a couple of extra mph. I never do actual 80 though, my car says no. :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    The police are never going to catch you on the motorway, just worry about cameras.
    They can! They can stand on the motorway bridges and get you. My mom got two tickets coming back from Scotland on the motorway, managed to get two as she was clocked in two different counties. So now my nan has to watch all the bridges for five hours on the way up there!

ReputationRep:

Its completely up to the officer at the end of the day.

Normally they won't bother you unless you doing 80mph+ or driving dangerously. If its a camera then of course if you are over the 10% freshold then you'll be caught, get a ticket with points and a fine depending on how much over the limit you were.

I've driven past a marked car doing 85mph before in a stream of traffic in the 3rd lane on motorway. They didnt bother to do anything, but there was literally a stream of maybe 15 cars doing the same so they can't stop you all.
    Personally, and people will probably disagree, but I think its safer to drive at the speed of flow of traffic, especially in the overtaking lane (upto 85-90mph) oppose to braking heavily which could cause pile ups.

Personally I don't disagree with people speeding on motorways where it is safe to do so, i.e. when its quiet. Its the people who drive at 40 in a 30, 50 in a 40 etc that need to be caught.

Just my 2p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    They can! They can stand on the motorway bridges and get you. My mom got two tickets coming back from Scotland on the motorway, managed to get two as she was clocked in two different counties. So now my nan has to watch all the bridges for five hours on the way up there!
    Does your nan have telescopic sight? haha... they can get you over 1/2 a mile away with speed guns.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.