The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tbf i don't think they'll care if you go a little over 70
its all the people who do like 90/100 they wanna get
ShiVji
I always make a point of doing 100mph atleast once when Im on the M1, never got a ticket..

Then you are an idiot.

I speed, everyone does. But only if safe. Going out on a journey and saying that you are going to speed excessively is just immature and you will cause an accident one day.
Reply 22
What others have said, really. If the average speed on your stretch of motorway is 80MPH, they aren't going to pull everyone over. If someone out of those was doing 100MPH and overtaking everyone, then they'd go after them.

Obviously though you've got to watch out for cameras!
Reply 23
Myiesha_90
My driving instructor made me do it in a lesson cause the person I was overtaking started speeding up... I was like "I'm going over 70!" and he said "Carry on... it's fine". It was shocking... anyway sorry for the irrelevant anecdote butyes back to the thread... shouldn't you be checking your mirrors... if theres speed cameras and police cars around you... just dont do it?

Why were you on a motorway when learning to drive?
Reply 24
ashley1407

Pass Plus, or it was a wide dual carriageway.
Reply 25
Mad Vlad
To be fair, the Rozzers tend not to bother you on the motorways unless you're doing over 80.

This

Whatever you do, dont undertake someone. They dont like that!
Reply 26
I think if you get caught at 96mph, you get an 18 month ban or something...
This isn't relevant to motorways, but it is to the speeding when overtaking thing:
It's really a complete fallacy that you shouldn't speed when overtaking on a single carriageway. Say that the car in front is doing 50 in a 60 limit, and you want to be doing 60. Overtaking the car at 60 is both more dangerous and far more difficult than doing it at 70, because it will take you twice as long to get past him. Fortunately the chances of you getting caught speeding while overtaking are next to nothing, so you're reasonably safe to ignore that law.
Reply 28
guess you needed some more vtec to kick in
sometimes it's safer/better to speed while overtaking.
Reply 30
I usually do go over the limit of 70 on motorways especially when overtaking. But as long as you don't go over 80 I doubt the police will bother you.
Reply 31
ashley1407

The dual carriage way speed limit is 70. Wasn't on the motorway.
Reply 32
Depending on your car, cruising at 80mph can eat fuel when compared to cruising at 70mph. This is the case in my 1.6 petrol but not in my mum's 2.0 diesel.

The police are not going to bother you unless you are pushing 90mph, it isn't worth their time, if the road conditions are good and the traffic is fair.
Reply 33
Ahh, how much fun it would be to have a normal car :p: My cruising speed is 55-65 (depending on how fast the lorry I'm slipstreaming is). Overtaking is a long and arduous maneuver that involves me waiting for a gap long enough for me to pull out into and accelerate in, the several hours it takes me to get from 60 to 70, waiting for the lorry driver to realise that I can only do a bit faster than him and he decides to race you, beating the lorry driver, and pulling back in listening to the sigh of relief from my poor engine. You can probably see why I prefer to slipstream with my foot barely on the accelerator at 55-60mph :p:
Reply 34
Valjean
You should bear in mind that your speedometer usually overestimates speed (compare with a sat nav speed) and according to sat nav my speedo overestimates by a whole 10%! so at 77, apparently I'm actually doing 70 on mine. You were probably doing about exactly seventy or just a couple of mph over. If you were doing more than that you'd probably be ****** by a gatso, but they aren't going to be bothered and their visual estimation of speed can't be that accurate without help of equipment. I feel fairly safe doing something in the region of 70-78 on my speedo but I will never go over that (probably mainly because it starts to sound like my car is going to explode).

It's advisable to keep an eye on your speedo especially around police, but I'm sure you would be fine in this situation.

ALSO: I disagree with the above poster. On journeys involving hundreds of miles, I find it really makes a difference to my timing if I maintain a couple of extra mph. I never do actual 80 though, my car says no. :rofl2:

Sorry to disappoint you but your speedo is more accurate than a satellite miles above the Earth. They're only accurate to 3m plus the relay time for your position.
Reply 35
Kemik
Sorry to disappoint you but your speedo is more accurate than a satellite miles above the Earth. They're only accurate to 3m plus the relay time for your position.

Speedo is 10% inaccurate. At 70mph, 3m is nothing, and on a motorway your speed will be relatively constant so the relay time isn't a problem.
haz220807
They can! They can stand on the motorway bridges and get you. My mom got two tickets coming back from Scotland on the motorway, managed to get two as she was clocked in two different counties. So now my nan has to watch all the bridges for five hours on the way up there!

Yea this is what they do, they park their car/van just off the bridge so you can't see it from far away then set up their laser on the bridge.
Reply 37
Kemik

I would vote for satellites here. For a speedo to be inaccurate then the needle only needs to be less than a cm out either way to give a massively different reading. Considering a sat-nav is accurate to within 3 meters, 3 meters at 70 miles an hour means zilch.
Reply 38
Its the motorway you're meant to speed.... i don;t go below 70 on the motorway (when i can help it). People liek you cause congestion.
Reply 39
The majority of drivers do over 70 on the motorway, even the police themselves it's just like the norm.
edit: your allowed to do 10% over the speed limit and not get caught by a camera / police car, so on a motorway you can do 77mph without actually speeding because all speedometers on different cars are slightly inaccurate

Ive read online that police only pull you over if you're doing over 80mph.

If you get caught speeding by a speed camera you can either get the opportunity to take no points on your license, but pay about £100 i think to go on a speed awareness course so your insurance isn't affected, or you may just be given 3points £60fine

But if your caught speeding by a police car, you are almost guaranteed to get points and a fine, or if you act dumb enough or come up with an excellent excuse like your passenger is expecting a baby they will let you off

Latest

Trending

Trending