Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    The majority of drivers do over 70 on the motorway, even the police themselves it's just like the norm.
    edit: your allowed to do 10% over the speed limit and not get caught by a camera / police car, so on a motorway you can do 77mph without actually speeding because all speedometers on different cars are slightly inaccurate

Ive read online that police only pull you over if you're doing over 80mph.

If you get caught speeding by a speed camera you can either get the opportunity to take no points on your license, but pay about £100 i think to go on a speed awareness course so your insurance isn't affected, or you may just be given 3points £60fine

But if your caught speeding by a police car, you are almost guaranteed to get points and a fine, or if you act dumb enough or come up with an excellent excuse like your passenger is expecting a baby they will let you off

I did a course like that last weekend. Apparrently there are two types. One ran by the safety camera partnership, who will offer it to you if you are a few mph over the limit when caught by a camera all over the country. The other is if you get caught by the police in the Avon and Somerset area at their discretion. This one costs £60. They said that there is no actual rule for allowing 10%, but they will allow a few mph over the limit to account for discrepancies with different speedometers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Sorry to disappoint you but your speedo is more accurate than a satellite miles above the Earth. They're only accurate to 3m plus the relay time for your position.
    Sorry to disappoint you but you're talking nonsense. My Sat Nav is accurate to within 2mph above 30 and 1mph above 60 in a straight line at constant speed, and my speedometer is about 10% out.

ReputationRep:
    Just a few days ago, I was doing about 80mph on the motorway first lane and a cop overtook me. That in itself tells you what they think of the limit on the motorway.

Just worry about cameras, they are a *****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Ahh, how much fun it would be to have a normal car :p: My cruising speed is 55-65 (depending on how fast the lorry I'm slipstreaming is). Overtaking is a long and arduous maneuver that involves me waiting for a gap long enough for me to pull out into and accelerate in, the several hours it takes me to get from 60 to 70, waiting for the lorry driver to realise that I can only do a bit faster than him and he decides to race you, beating the lorry driver, and pulling back in listening to the sigh of relief from my poor engine. You can probably see why I prefer to slipstream with my foot barely on the accelerator at 55-60mph :p:
    Sounds about right... I tend to not bother overtaking lorries now

I might do with my new longer ratio gearbox fitted though

What do you drive again? I'm sure I've seen you post it on here before...

(Original post by TheJudge)
    Its the motorway you're meant to speed.... i don;t go below 70 on the motorway (when i can help it). People liek you cause congestion.

Actually, congestion is more likely to occur at higher speeds. At higher speeds, you have larger stopping distances, meaning the vehicles have to be spaced further apart. Studies have shown that reducing the speed limit at rush hour actually improves traffic flow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Does your nan have telescopic sight? haha... they can get you over 1/2 a mile away with speed guns.
    Yeah I'm not sure how my mom thinks my nan's going to see them but nevermind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Actually, congestion is more likely to occur at higher speeds. At higher speeds, you have larger stopping distances, meaning the vehicles have to be spaced further apart. Studies have shown that reducing the speed limit at rush hour actually improves traffic flow.
    #

Congestion is caused by people not driving properly. When there is a large volume of traffic along a motorway, you always see the fast lane fill up first, which takes away the ability to overtake. As the majority of cars in the fast lane will not pull into the middle lane, or then into the slow lane, the flow of traffc slows down. If everyone drove correctly on the motorway and treated it like the one driving lane, and two overtaking lanes that it is, you would never have to come to a complete stop.

ReputationRep:

You're assuming we all keep massive distances between the car infront when we speed. I do not.....

The people on the motorway who keep a huge distance between them and the car infront are part of the problem....

I however do not, afterall the likelyhood the car infront is going to stop just doesn;t exist, no one is going to do an emergency stop on the motorway.

ReputationRep:
    You're assuming we all keep massive distances between the car infront when we speed. I do not.....

The people on the motorway who keep a huge distance between them and the car infront are part of the problem....

I however do not, afterall the likelyhood the car infront is going to stop just doesn;t exist, no one is going to do an emergency stop on the motorway.
    I've done an emergency stop on the motorway before, after a Peugeot 206 in the outside lane hit the central barrier and span across 3 lanes of motorway. It can, and does happen. Braking distances are there for a reason.

Also, your assumption is based on people who are speeding not keeping the proper distance from the car in front, and people doing a slower speed keeping a proper distance.
    This doesn't happen in practise. At a slower speed you'll fit more cars in a given space, whether they are being driven the correct distance away from the vehicles in front or not.

Good luck on the day you do have to make a sudden manouvre from speed on a motorway if you don't maintain a sensible gap. You'll need luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    #

Congestion is caused by people not driving properly. When there is a large volume of traffic along a motorway, you always see the fast lane fill up first, which takes away the ability to overtake. As the majority of cars in the fast lane will not pull into the middle lane, or then into the slow lane, the flow of traffc slows down. If everyone drove correctly on the motorway and treated it like the one driving lane, and two overtaking lanes that it is, you would never have to come to a complete stop.
    Whilst I agree with what you're saying, the only reason motorways come to a complete halt for no good reason is actually the people who drive too close for the speed. As soon as the person in front of them brakes a little, they then have to brake. This carries on down the whole chain of cars, and is often exaggerated, meaning one person slowing to 70mph from 75mph can cause huge numbers of cars to slow significantly more behind them.

If drivers used both the correct lanes, and left large enough braking distances that a gap between them and the car in front meant they didn't have to brake as soon as the car in front did, there would be no problems

ReputationRep:
    The worst thing is drivers going at 65-70 in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty, forcing drivers who want to go at 70 or just over into the outside lane, meaning that cars going at 75-80 in the outside lane have to slow down, causing a knot of traffic. As somebody above said, if people stick to the correct lanes then there's no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Sorry to disappoint you but you're talking nonsense. My Sat Nav is accurate to within 2mph above 30 and 1mph above 60 in a straight line at constant speed, and my speedometer is about 10% out.
    By law, speedometers have to show 0-10% more than the actual speed. They are not allowed, at any time, show less than the actual speed.

Tire wear, temperature, etc. have a slight effect on the speedometer's readings. Because the speedometer measures the rotation of the driveshaft, smaller tires will show a higher speed reading.

GPS, in turn, has an accuracy affected by speed. When you're going at a slow speed, the error will be larger than when going at a faster speed.

ReputationRep:
    Not long ago i was in the middle lane doing 85-87mph, just went past a bridge, saw them camera cop jeeps waiting on the top.. I was expecting a fine/points on my license to be delivered through the post.. .. nothing came. When on the M1, i hit 135-140mph everytime pretty much all the way until junction 5 where i turn off. .. .had no problems so far, obviously watch out for the cameras though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    By law, speedometers have to show 0-10% more than the actual speed. They are not allowed, at any time, show less than the actual speed.

Tire wear, temperature, etc. have a slight effect on the speedometer's readings. Because the speedometer measures the rotation of the driveshaft, smaller tires will show a higher speed reading.

GPS, in turn, has an accuracy affected by speed. When you're going at a slow speed, the error will be larger than when going at a faster speed.
    uhh.. yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    The worst thing is drivers going at 65-70 in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty, forcing drivers who want to go at 70 or just over into the outside lane, meaning that cars going at 75-80 in the outside lane have to slow down, causing a knot of traffic. As somebody above said, if people stick to the correct lanes then there's no problem.
    This, even more annoying when they are only 60mph or even less. In my relatively slow classic car when overtaking I always make an effort to move over as soon as I can. It's just the annoying people who sit in the middle lane not paying attention to what they are doing (Not so much in my car but when passenger I get the driver to flash the lights a few times to get them to move over), 3/4 of time they never notice:rolleyes: and we end up having to wait ages to pull out into a crowded fast lane or undertake.

Frankly, I think it is stupid that motorways are not a required part of learning to drive (not tested but just a lesson spent on it) when so many of us spend hours and hours on them.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I agree with what you're saying, the only reason motorways come to a complete halt for no good reason is actually the people who drive too close for the speed. As soon as the person in front of them brakes a little, they then have to brake. This carries on down the whole chain of cars, and is often exaggerated, meaning one person slowing to 70mph from 75mph can cause huge numbers of cars to slow significantly more behind them.

If drivers used both the correct lanes, and left large enough braking distances that a gap between them and the car in front meant they didn't have to brake as soon as the car in front did, there would be no problems
    When people start leaving too small a gap between them and the car and front, it is also a symptom of people not moving out of the overtakin lanes. People arrogantly assume they rule the road and swan along the fast lane, sometimes not even overtaking people in the other lanes. This then causes people who actually want to overtake, to drive closer and closer to them in an attempt to show that they want to get past. The fast lane then fills up with people who want to overtake but cant due to a few idiots, then you have congestion.

Rather than fight the symptoms of a problem, such as tailgating and undertaking. The real problem - idiots who use the overtaking lanes as driving lanes- should be addressed

ReputationRep:
    Speeding on the motorway is generally ignored unless you're doing 90+ or just driving like a muppet.

The real problem on the motorway is people driving too close together, if everyone left enough space you would rarely get moments when everyone slams on the brakes due to some muppet pulling out into another car.

We were following this jag up tp birmingham the other week and it was funny watching him dive in to every tiny space he could find trying to work his way up the traffic. While we just cruised up at a steady 80 and by the time we got to the M42 he was about 3 cars ahead of us. He had ****** off god knows how many drivers just to gain 3 car lengths. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Those cowards giving the middle finger when they overtake cars on the right lane. Gosh....

ReputationRep:

Well you should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insanetothebrain)
    Not long ago i was in the middle lane doing 85-87mph, just went past a bridge, saw them camera cop jeeps waiting on the top.. I was expecting a fine/points on my license to be delivered through the post.. .. nothing came. When on the M1, i hit 135-140mph everytime pretty much all the way until junction 5 where i turn off. .. .had no problems so far, obviously watch out for the cameras though.
    Neg rep me if you like, but you're an idiot and shouldn't be allowed on the roads. You should be banned for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterR)
    Neg rep me if you like, but you're an idiot and shouldn't be allowed on the roads. You should be banned for life.
    I'm going to +rep you because i know you're collecting red gems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.