Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    There are no cameras on motorways
    Apart from M25 when there's one like every frickin' 100 metres!

ReputationRep:
    Speeding tickets in the UK work like this (I believe):

You can only be stopped for it if you're doing (speed limit) + (10% of speed limit) + 3. So to get stopped in a 30 zone you'd have to be doing over 30 + 3 + 3 = 36.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Sorry to disappoint you but you're talking nonsense. My Sat Nav is accurate to within 2mph above 30 and 1mph above 60 in a straight line at constant speed, and my speedometer is about 10% out.
    Sorry to disappoint all of you but no one is gonna give a crap what a satnav says.

People look at their speedo...and the police do the same if they're following you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshDonson)

You can only be stopped for it if you're doing (speed limit) + (10% of speed limit) + 3. So to get stopped in a 30 zone you'd have to be doing over 30 + 3 + 3 = 36.
    This isn't true.

You can be stopped at any speed over the limit...hence it's name - "limit".

Often the police will apply some common sense but they aren't necessarily obliged to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    This isn't true.

You can be stopped at any speed over the limit...hence it's name - "limit".

Often the police will apply some common sense but they aren't necessarily obliged to do so.
    The guy you quoted is right (I think). You can only get a ticket if you're 10% + 2 over the speed limit, although somebody above said it was 3, so I'm now not sure which it is. But there is a threshold to allow for inaccuracies in spedometers and speed cameras. However, the police can stop you whatever speed you're doing if they think it's dangerous, the limit is irrelevant - if they think you doing 32 in a 30 zone is dangerous driving, they can stop you. You can't get a speeding ticket, however.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disappoint all of you but no one is gonna give a crap what a satnav says.

People look at their speedo...and the police do the same if they're following you.
    Absolute drivel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Absolute drivel.
    Go for it then...next time you get hit by a speed trap try the "but my satnav said i was doing 8mph less than my speedo!" effort.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it then...next time you get hit by a speed trap try the "but my satnav said i was doing 8mph less than my speedo!" effort.
    I don't see what's hard to understand. My sat nav gives an accurate speed. Speed cameras measure an accurate speed (they don't look through your window and read your speedometer, in case you still haven't got this into your head). If my sat nav says I'm doing 30 in a 30 limit, the speed camera will measure me doing 30 in a 30 limit, and I won't get a ticket.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshDonson)

There is some rubbish floating around here. Police can stop you at any speed for pretty much any reasons. The ACPO guidelines are (roughly) 10% + 3 for issue of a ticket, but these are GUIDELINES.

Speed enforcement is pretty much a low priority for most forces and there are no quotas for the number of tickets issued for your average officer. Consequently if you are stopped and given a ticket by an officer generally your driving has to be pretty poor.

Police are well aware that speed itself isn't dangerous, as most will be advanced drivers who will be doing 150mph+ on a motorway on response. Misuse of speed is, particularly people who think they can drive, but really really can not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.