Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my email earlier today..I've been put in Battersea Court - Speirs House

ReputationRep:
    I've been put in Manor Park with an ensuite. I'm happy about the ensuite but manor park is about 1 mile off campus so I was also a bit annoyed. But I guess I could use the exercise

ReputationRep:
    I got Stag Hill not too bad at least there's lots of bathrooms lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fraser_Integration)
    I'm in Cathedral Court.

Was a bit annoyed at first because I wanted ensuite, but I'm sure I will live and the extra £20 a week will come in handy Im sure.
    I lived in Cath Court last year, House 4B. It was awesome. The kitchen's tiny but as long as you keep it tidy it's fine. (Which my housemates failed to do and I got a telling off by the cleaner because I was sat in there drinking my morning tea surrounded by junk)

The toilet/shower situation is fine as the cleaner comes every two or three days. Plus you're only sharing one toilet between 3/4 depending on how many boys/girls there are in your flat. Although this one morning I wasn't very happy to really need the loo and find a shopping trolley in my toilet cubicle. How the guy managed to carry a shopping trolley up two flights of stairs, along the corridor and fit it actually in the cubicle I will never know.

And another pearl of wisdom, never try and climb up the wall otherwise you WILL put your foot through the plasterboard...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Cathedral Court.

Was a bit annoyed at first because I wanted ensuite, but I'm sure I will live and the extra £20 a week will come in handy Im sure.
    Im in the same situation, wanted an ensuite but got Cathedral Court

I phoned the uni today, but it seems that all the ensuite places are booked up.

What building have you been given?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medchemist)
    I lived in Cath Court last year, House 4B. It was awesome. The kitchen's tiny but as long as you keep it tidy it's fine. (Which my housemates failed to do and I got a telling off by the cleaner because I was sat in there drinking my morning tea surrounded by junk)

And another pearl of wisdom, never try and climb up the wall otherwise you WILL put your foot through the plasterboard...

Ah thanks for the kind words, sir. I am actually in the same house as that - 4B. I am a fairly neat person so that was my only concern but hopefully I won't be sharing with any Wayne and Waynetta types. I'm going to be 23 when i get there (not that anyone will guess - babyface) so I've been used to living without a mother on hand to tidy up.

Sucks about the kitchen but I rarely get adventurous cooking at the minute anyway. Oh, I got the shopping trolley yarns on the induction day. I look forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BAw331)
    Im in the same situation, wanted an ensuite but got Cathedral Court

I phoned the uni today, but it seems that all the ensuite places are booked up.

What building have you been given?

I'm in 4B. Don't worry about it mate, I'm sure you will get used to it fast. We're not going to be spending much time there really when you think about it. It's easy to think the worst.

ReputationRep:
    What's Stag Hill like? :-)

ReputationRep:
    At my induction I think they said thats the one which is the most lairy/noisy, most parties whatever - which could be a good thing depending on your disposition.

Someone also called it **** Hill,

ReputationRep:
    or was it Shag Hill, i forget.

both terribly witty though!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, way too witty for my hungover mind Was my 18th yesterday (Terrible timing, I know!), didn't get in until 5am :|

ReputationRep:
    nice. I am still working full time up until the 18th September. Uni will be like a holiday for a while!

ReputationRep:
    Been working full time myself with Thales, finish on 22nd september. Can't wait to get a proper break...by which I mean the week between finishing there and moving into Surrey! :P

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for the kind words, sir. I am actually in the same house as that - 4B. I am a fairly neat person so that was my only concern but hopefully I won't be sharing with any Wayne and Waynetta types. I'm going to be 23 when i get there (not that anyone will guess - babyface) so I've been used to living without a mother on hand to tidy up.

Sucks about the kitchen but I rarely get adventurous cooking at the minute anyway. Oh, I got the shopping trolley yarns on the induction day. I look forward to it!
    Well if you happen to be living on level 2 then you will get to see the hole we managed to make in the wall, and the really dodgy plastering the builders did to fill it in. Also, if they haven't taken down the posters we put up in the kitchen and on the front door you will be living in the 'Home of Sexy Parties' house a la Family Guy haha.

House 4B is the best, closest to the library/teaching block/lecture rooms out of all Cath court!

ReputationRep:
    Wait.. so there's no en suite left? What about Manor Park? Nooooo. I haven't applied yet as I've only just been confirmed through clearing.. I tried logging in to the app but it just denied me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `Willow)
    Been working full time myself with Thales, finish on 22nd september. Can't wait to get a proper break...by which I mean the week between finishing there and moving into Surrey! :P
    Nice. How did you manage to get there?? Was it for the summer? I have been gainfully employed at my local council for 5 years now, almost built up a decent pension lol.

(Original post by medchemist)
    wht you said
    Nah Level 1. Thanks for the info though

ReputationRep:
    Nice. How did you manage to get there?? Was it for the summer? I have been gainfully employed at my local council for 5 years now, almost built up a decent pension lol.
    Did this thing called the Engineering Education Scheme (EES) during the AS year (Look it up for more information, head hurts too much to explain properly!) - basically a group of 4 to 6 students get paired with a couple of engineers from a local company (Thales Training & Simulation, in our case) to work on an engineering problem that the company currently has. (We had to design & make a more efficient method for installing their flight simulators, because the old method (they now use ours!) was very time consuming).

The EES involves making a lot of presentations, and so I became a very confident (and, imo a very good) speaker. (Modest!). After the scheme finished we had to give a presentation to the govening body of our school, parents, and a couple of Thales big-wigs came as well. (One was the manager for all Thales sites in the south of England). I gave the best presentation of my life, and he gave me his business card and asked me to get in touch the day after about getting a summer job. Good money, and very useful experience for my CV (And to a lesser extent, personal statement).

Year later, dropped him another phone call and he sorted me out this summer's placement almost instantly. Been working since the week after my exams finished (Finished my last exam on June17th).

ReputationRep:
    At least with the kitchen, it's only seven students to one kitchen. With most residences it seems like you have ten or fourteen sharing. I'm Cathedral Court too, and I personally couldn't be happier XD. All I cared about was the student/kitchen ratio. I, too, have lived by myself ... and I'm personally going to miss chopping up vegetables while dancing to random music on the ghetto blaster XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannymccormick)
    At least with the kitchen, it's only seven students to one kitchen. With most residences it seems like you have ten or fourteen sharing. I'm Cathedral Court too, and I personally couldn't be happier XD. All I cared about was the student/kitchen ratio. I, too, have lived by myself ... and I'm personally going to miss chopping up vegetables while dancing to random music on the ghetto blaster XD
    Cool. Yeah I am looking forward to it now. What house are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Yeah I am looking forward to it now. What house are you in?
    5B, Level 1, Room 2. I'm hoping they have thick ceilings. How about you?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.