Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that there is not a poker society in De Montfort... I like poker and wonder if anyone else would be interested in a poker society being started up... if so please quote me saying YES.
    If many ppl would like a poker society being starting up then maybe a league can be started up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)
    I have noticed that there is not a poker society in De Montfort... I like poker and wonder if anyone else would be interested in a poker society being started up... if so please quote me saying YES.
    If many ppl would like a poker society being starting up then maybe a league can be started up.
    I was playing poker tonight I wouldn't mind one, as long as it doesn't use actual money - I'll be poor enough as it is... assuming I don't win that is

ReputationRep:
    Anyone mind telling me a useful place to learn poker . I've got the poker face down to a T but I don't know a thing about poker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    Anyone mind telling me a useful place to learn poker . I've got the poker face down to a T but I don't know a thing about poker.
    The only way is to learn the hands then practice (download pokerstars).

Then if you're clever you'll go on to learn about pot odds vs implied odds and a bit of standard maths relating to hand odds. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    I was playing poker tonight I wouldn't mind one, as long as it doesn't use actual money - I'll be poor enough as it is... assuming I don't win that is
    I think your society would need to obtain a licence if it wanted to gamble with real money. That said, if you were to set a 50p buy in per tourny, it isn't really too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    The only way is to learn the hands then practice (download pokerstars).

Then if you're clever you'll go on to learn about pot odds vs implied odds and a bit of standard maths relating to hand odds. :yes:

What level of mathmatical knowledge do you need . I pretty much only know GCSE level statistics which I got an A in.

oh and I think I read that poker has different variations. Is texas hold em up the most popular ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    What level of mathmatical knowledge do you need . I pretty much only know GCSE level statistics which I got an A in.

oh and I think I read that poker has different variations. Is texas hold em up the most popular ?
    It's not really hard for anyone to learn, whether you're a good mathematician or not. It's like, for example, deciding whether your hand is worth continuing with to the turn or river when you have X amount in the pot and said player is raising you X amount.

Also things like knowing when to play a hand (AK is nice - AA pocket pair is the best hand which you'd always want to play onto the flop no matter how much anyone raises). Poker is really just a game of knowing when to raise and when to fold... knowing how to read a player's body language will also do you well if you're in a tourny (though when I play with people it's usually just friends and we're getting pissed so it's hard to tell).

Yeah, stick to Texas Hold 'Em and you won't go wrong. If you're playing on poker stars maybe make some chips on the fixed limit then move on to no limit. I made like 160k chips in a few hours on night on NL haha... had all the other players like WTF. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I used to be in the committee for the poker society at Leicester Uni where we ran weekly £3 buyin tournaments, feel free to ask any questions. In terms of a licence, it seems to be a fairly grey area, we couldn't find a definitive answer as to the legality, but as far as we can tell, if total prize money for a given night does not exceed £250, then you don't need a licence. This is my own interpretation of the information I could find.

In terms of learning about poker (primarily No-Limit Hold'em, by far the most popular variant) here's a couple of book recommendations:

Theory of Poker and then Hold'em for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, both excellent books, fairly heavy in the maths content, but still v.good despite (?) that. First 3 books by Dan Harrington are a necessary read for tournament players, sets out a lot of the basic concepts which you should know about, although his playing style is very conservative and wouldn't do you as well in todays tournaments (especially online). He's got a book out for cash games too, which I havn't read, so can't comment. Doyle Brunson's 'Super System' books are classics. For body language, there isn't that much out there, two spring to mind, Mike Caro's somewhat dated (and filled with embarrassing references to cultural minorities and women) book 'Caro's book of tells' is full of useful information nonetheless. Lately, there was a book and videos, the latter of which i have watched, from an ex-FBI agent called Joe Navarro. The videos are VERY useful and recommend them as essential.

In terms of online resources, the best free forum I know of is twoplustwo.com. It's full of nomenclature that you have to get your head round at first, but there are stickies explaining everything and they have links to useful threads - make sure you read the 'READ FIRST' threads first. If you post there, you will become a better poker player. A useful piece of software, called PokerTracker, is essential. This basically just throws out lots of useful statistics about your play, and your opponents. You can get it to display these stats over your tables while playing - and is legal.

When you're on play money tables online, use them only to learn the basics. The play is dreadful and really quite different from cash tables. Before you move to cash tables, make sure you understand the basics of poker, read about pot odds, implied odds, reverse implied odds, bankroll management etc..

P.S. Another alternative to PokerStars is FullTilt, which IMO is softer - the average opponent is worse.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'd definately be interested in this.

What type of tourney settings are you looking at?

ReputationRep:

Id be up for a poker society. anything to get to know new people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barz)
    Id be up for a poker society. anything to get to know new people

Don't hate me when i take all your money :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KajiPaji)
    Don't hate me when i take all your money :yep:
    haha just try it. i will wipe the floor with you :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barz)
    haha just try it. i will wipe the floor with you :eek3:
    Ahem, I think not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KajiPaji)
    Ahem, I think not!
    and whys that? are you some poker guru or something? i play it loads but if im not playin with real money i get impatient and bet stupidly lol. i need to learn not to do that

ReputationRep:
    Hello... i'm back ... i will start replying to some of your reposonces... just to note that I might not be able to go to DMU due to missing my offer but I will check tomoro if I still have a place there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    Yer that will be fine mate, as long as more people would prefer to play for fun rather than money I am sure I can set up a few games.

ReputationRep:
    I think your society would need to obtain a licence if it wanted to gamble with real money. That said, if you were to set a 50p buy in per tourny, it isn't really too much.
    I will check what the law says but I keep on hearing that your don't need a licence if the total prize money is £250 and tbh if I did set up a poker socitiey it wont cost much to play seeing as we are going to be poor for the next few years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)

I like to play 7 card stud H/L and prefer it to texas hold'em

ReputationRep:
    Well from what I have read a total of £250 prize money can be played for without a licence but I wouldnt think it would matter thatc much seeing as we will be poor for a few years But year I could set up games where you play for point instead of money... someone else on here want to play for play money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_J)
    Hi guys, I used to be in the committee for the poker society at Leicester Uni where we ran weekly £3 buyin tournaments, feel free to ask any questions. In terms of a licence, it seems to be a fairly grey area, we couldn't find a definitive answer as to the legality, but as far as we can tell, if total prize money for a given night does not exceed £250, then you don't need a licence. This is my own interpretation of the information I could find.

In terms of learning about poker (primarily No-Limit Hold'em, by far the most popular variant) here's a couple of book recommendations:

Theory of Poker and then Hold'em for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, both excellent books, fairly heavy in the maths content, but still v.good despite (?) that. First 3 books by Dan Harrington are a necessary read for tournament players, sets out a lot of the basic concepts which you should know about, although his playing style is very conservative and wouldn't do you as well in todays tournaments (especially online). He's got a book out for cash games too, which I havn't read, so can't comment. Doyle Brunson's 'Super System' books are classics. For body language, there isn't that much out there, two spring to mind, Mike Caro's somewhat dated (and filled with embarrassing references to cultural minorities and women) book 'Caro's book of tells' is full of useful information nonetheless. Lately, there was a book and videos, the latter of which i have watched, from an ex-FBI agent called Joe Navarro. The videos are VERY useful and recommend them as essential.

In terms of online resources, the best free forum I know of is twoplustwo.com. It's full of nomenclature that you have to get your head round at first, but there are stickies explaining everything and they have links to useful threads - make sure you read the 'READ FIRST' threads first. If you post there, you will become a better poker player. A useful piece of software, called PokerTracker, is essential. This basically just throws out lots of useful statistics about your play, and your opponents. You can get it to display these stats over your tables while playing - and is legal.

When you're on play money tables online, use them only to learn the basics. The play is dreadful and really quite different from cash tables. Before you move to cash tables, make sure you understand the basics of poker, read about pot odds, implied odds, reverse implied odds, bankroll management etc..

P.S. Another alternative to PokerStars is FullTilt, which IMO is softer - the average opponent is worse.
    Thank you for the infomation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.