The Student Room Group

How do the UCAS Texts Work?

Hiya,

A friend told me today she'd signed up for UCAS to text her on results day to tell her whether she gets into her unis. So I went onto the website and signed up for it, too, but I was wondering, when does it come through? I can't find any answers on the UCAS website; does anyone here know?

My friend thinks it comes through just after midnight, is that true? It makes sense, but it begs the question "if you could get a text at midnight, why are so many people going to wait until 6am-ish and log into the internet to find out?"

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
I'd try finding official sources for this before taking her word for it. I can't find anything on the UCAS website about receiving a text on results day (although I am interested if such a thing exists), and even so I doubt the text would come through at midnight -- I imagine it'd be given the same or less priority than updating the online results, so would come when or after they update. Then again, my word is as good as your friend's :p:
Reply 2
OH MY. Where can you do this?! I've been searching on UCAS but I can't find it?!

I have to get the train up to my college to get results and it'll take a good 45 mins to get there.. i'm seriously panicking my Track won't have updated before I leave!! This would be a lifesaverrr :woo:
sazzle7
OH MY. Where can you do this?! I've been searching on UCAS but I can't find it?!

I have to get the train up to my college to get results and it'll take a good 45 mins to get there.. i'm seriously panicking my Track won't have updated before I leave!! This would be a lifesaverrr :woo:

Yeah I'd like to know too! Also, one of my friends has an offer to do Law at Queens' too :biggrin:
Where is it you find this at? I remember ticking the box to allow UCAS to text me but I think that was just used to remind you that the deadlines were coming up.
Reply 5
Explosive Muffin
Hiya,

A friend told me today she'd signed up for UCAS to text her on results day to tell her whether she gets into her unis. So I went onto the website and signed up for it, too, but I was wondering, when does it come through? I can't find any answers on the UCAS website; does anyone here know?

My friend thinks it comes through just after midnight, is that true? It makes sense, but it begs the question "if you could get a text at midnight, why are so many people going to wait until 6am-ish and log into the internet to find out?"

How did you sign up for it? Is it not just an email notification saying track has been updated?
Reply 6
Mine text me to say the status of my application had been changed, but didn't say what the change was. So far I mean, I assume it'll do the same results day.
impervious
Where is it you find this at? I remember ticking the box to allow UCAS to text me but I think that was just used to remind you that the deadlines were coming up.

You can find the option if you log into your UCAS Track and then click the "Personal" tab. Scroll down a little and you'll see some tick boxes, one of which is "I'm happy to receive information by SMS text message". Strange how it's all hushed about how the thing actually works!!!

I'll do some more research and try to find out more. But I'd have thought UCAS would send out the texts using computers, which could for all we know be separate from the computers that keep the website up. And with this feature being so underrated, maybe not so many out of the 2 million(ish) students using UCAS will have signed up for it :biggrin:!
thatone
Mine text me to say the status of my application had been changed, but didn't say what the change was. So far I mean, I assume it'll do the same results day.

Oh, just saw that post. Okay, I guess they won't tell us which uni's we've got into, then :frown:.
Reply 9
peanutbutternjelly
Yeah I'd like to know too! Also, one of my friends has an offer to do Law at Queens' too :biggrin:

:woo:

Maybe we'll be study buddies :biggrin:
Reply 10
It looks like I've already got it checked...?! I didn't receive any notifications telling me it had changed when I got offers in though!

Maybe if I un-check "Happy to receive email" they'll have to text me?! Would that work...?! :confused:
sazzle7
:woo:

Maybe we'll be study buddies :biggrin:

Six degrees of separation etc :biggrin:
sazzle7
It looks like I've already got it checked...?! I didn't receive any notifications telling me it had changed when I got offers in though!

Maybe if I un-check "Happy to receive email" they'll have to text me?! Would that work...?! :confused:

Do they have your correct mobile number?

As to when it updates, I would imagine it will update when Track does (so chances are this will be 8am ish). I highly doubt it will give you any advanced warning of track, it just might be handy if you don't have access to the internet and want to know prior to actually collecting your results.
Reply 13
F1 fanatic
Do they have your correct mobile number?

As to when it updates, I would imagine it will update when Track does (so chances are this will be 8am ish). I highly doubt it will give you any advanced warning of track, it just might be handy if you don't have access to the internet and want to know prior to actually collecting your results.

Yeah definitely the right number! It'd just be handy for me because I have to travel 45 minutes to my college to get my results...but then if I think about it, because I can't actually check Track until I get to a computer, I'd just be torturing myself knowing it's updated but I can't find out the details! :mad:
Explosive Muffin
Hiya,

A friend told me today she'd signed up for UCAS to text her on results day to tell her whether she gets into her unis.

"From time to time we may send out information not directly related to your application, but covering areas of interest such as:

* funding and sponsorship opportunities
* health issues
* career possibilities relevant to your chosen subjects
* goods/services relevant to higher education (such as student banking and travel discounts).

These mailings are not related to your application. They are for information purposes only. Please note that at no time are your details released to any of the companies wishing to have information passed to you.

Such information may be sent by email, SMS text or in the post. If you want to receive this information, please tick the appropriate boxes when you register to apply."

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/dataprotectionact