Turn on thread page Beta

refunding a prebooked train ticket watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if I could possibly refund a pre booked national rail ticket that I brought over their website. The journey is on the 14th aug and I paid £35 for it. Is it possible to refund it? If so, where? Could I just go to my local train station and hand it over?

Its from Leicester to Feltham, with a return ticket (return journey 16 aug) if that is of any importance.

Thanks!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think they sometimes charge a £5 admin fee. You should just be able to go to your train station and ask for a refund.

ReputationRep:
    Generally I believe you can get a refund but you get charged a fee of around £10 in the process so you'd only get £25 back. It's the same whether you do it online or in station.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, most places will charge you a £10 cancellation fee. My dad's emailed the company for me before though and I've managed to get the whole amount back. Depends what excuse you have I guess. I had tickets to my bf's but then I had to go up to Liverpool to a funeral and couldn't use them.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'll think of some excuse to get the full amount back. If that doesnt work, I dont mind losing out on the £10. Thanks a lot everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    Right, I'll think of some excuse to get the full amount back. If that doesnt work, I dont mind losing out on the £10. Thanks a lot everyone!!
    If it's an Advance Ticket. You won't get a refund i'm afraid... Advance tickets are non refundable and IIRC not transferable... (But that's almost impossible to enforce anyway)

You can change the dates and times as long as it's before 18:00 the day before travel. Subject to a £10 admin fee and the cost between the cost of your ticket and the cheapest ticket available for when you change your travel plains! if the new ticket is the same price or cheaper, then you only pay the £10

HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)
    If it's an Advance Ticket. You won't get a refund i'm afraid... Advance tickets are non refundable and IIRC not transferable... (But that's almost impossible to enforce anyway)

You can change the dates and times as long as it's before 18:00 the day before travel. Subject to a £10 admin fee and the cost between the cost of your ticket and the cheapest ticket available for when you change your travel plains! if the new ticket is the same price or cheaper, then you only pay the £10

HTH

Argh you're right, i've got an advance ticket aswell. just saw the refund policy on the national rail website :|

ReputationRep:
    As said if it is an AP ticket it can't be refunded - that's one of the reasons they're cheap. However, if it's just a normal ticket bought in advance, you should be able to get a refund.

ReputationRep:
    If you do have an advance ticket, you will probably be able to change the date of travel for a fee though, so at least you won't lose the whole value of the ticket.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.