Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I found the first year of my LLB almost unbearably dry and boring. Anyone else? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I also found law relatively dull as an academic subject. My father was a barrister and I knew that practice was different. It is.

Strangely, all the things I disliked at University - particularly reading loads of cases - took on a new dimension once they were relevant to a real life situation. I have also found that a firm grasp of the basics is worth a million remembered cases; all the ones I knew at university are way out of date now anyway

So hang in there. There are quite a lot of areas in life in which acquiring the basics is hard, but the reward for having done so is great.

ReputationRep:
    @ OP

I also found large parts of the LL.B incredibly boring. For instance, I defy anyone to convince me that reading 30-odd pages consisting of 5 Law Lords mulling over whether a declaration of trust over some shares satisfies the requirements of the Law of Property Act 1925 s.53 is either interesting or enjoyable. Nevetheless, this sort of stuff MUST be committed to memory both for exam purposes, and (a less detailed recollection) for the purposes of general legal knowledge. There is simply no getting away from the donkey-work.

However, I found the cut and thrust and the competitive aspect of debating points of law in seminars absolutely thrilling. It didn't really matter what area of law was under consideration, all that mattered was that one of my fellow students would be trying to outsmart me, and there was no way I was about to let THAT happen, so I was motivated to read. I also became friends with the strongest and most confident students in my tutor group, and soon considered them to be both my best drinking buddies and my nemeses. This wasn't a cynical ploy on my part, it just happened naturally. Perhaps that is what you need. Is your tutor group strong or weak? Are you mates with the bright sparks, or do you tend to mix with the shirkers and the wallflowers? Apart from anything else, you will remember and, more importantly, understand, the legal issues much better by arguing them than you ever will be simply reading them. I know this is true because I am currently revising my core LL.B topics prior to starting pupillage in about 6 weeks time, and whilst some of the concepts I'm studying are a great deal more "vision" than "revision" (because I did my LL.B and my BVC part-time and also took a year out when my second child was born, I did my contract law module almost 8 years ago!), I also come across lots of passages of text where I can distinctly remember having a really good argument about the issue in a seminar, and the knowledge is right there just below the surface.

Also, the further you get into the degree, the more you will make satisfying connections and recognise a synergy between what up until then appeared to be discreet topics. If your LL.B includes a jurisprudence option, do it, because this subject can also enable you to access a deeper understanding of and affinty for the law. In my case, after studying philosophy and jurisprudence during my 'year out', my studies were re-invigorated and my marks rose from middling 2:1s to very high 1sts. Why not spend the remainder of the summer holidays gaining an overview of those interesting (and, in my IMHO) mind-opening subjects?

Try to hang in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brightxburns)
    What do you intend to do after your law degree?
    I really hope I can persevere. I know that a law degree looks good on paper, but, since I'm almost certain that a legal career isn't for me, I'm not sure that it's worth it any more. I feel like my time might be better spent doing something that I really enjoy and can thus excel in.
    Plus, it's virtually useless unless I can achieve a 2.1, and I'm not sure I have the drive to do so.

I just don't know what to do.
    I feel the same although I don't "think" a legal career is not for me, I know it1 :P I'm hoping to go into something media/journalism related, but just how applicable a law degree will that I don't know, hence I can empathise with your situation.

Also, with my course the first year consisted of 6 of the 8/9? qualifying modules, only one of which I can say interested me (seriously, EU law? why?!). Hopefully it'll get more interesting once you have more choice and freedom in your modules.

ReputationRep:
    See PM.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.