Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey,

i have been thinking pretty much about this lately: i got a confirmed place for a BA in politcs and development studies from the school of oriental and african studies (soas), univ of london...

here are a few infos about me:
    EU student from outside the uk, fluently speaking 3 major european and 1 "exotic" language

my fears:
    even though soas is a good school, i am a bit concerned about the job prospects with my degree and in general with a degree soas due to the fact that art/social science-based degrees are not vocational and soas, surely a good school, is specialized, sometimes has a vague reputation (hippies, potheads and marxists...NOTE:i do not personally have problems with this, but am just quoting what i have heard). even though, money is fortunately not an issue, i do not want my parents to pay quite an amount of money for an education that leads into unemployment or unfulfilling and bad careers. here, in my homecountry, i could enroll in a law program, which is for free, but unis here are mass-unis (courses like law are especially oversubscibed, so i would basically be one of a billion students or so) and have thereofore not the same overall quality as UK unis...also, law is not what i would liek to do for 100% sure, but it sure could be a good option for a range of careers, and last but not least for political careers. i am of course aware that today a master´s is nearly a must to compete in the job market (except maybe for oxbrige students) and that a BA alone would hardly make me marketable.

many people say that a degree in politics&developemt studies (or any art/humanities/social science degree) could lead you into every career (except medicine, engineering and so on) because its a flexible degree and that most good jobs only require a 2:1 in any subject...but honestly, is it true??? and pleae do not come with that "a degree and career is whatever yo make of it"-thing because even though this is true some unis and their reputation make this easier and some do make it harder (i.e. an imperial college student studying engineering is more likely to get an internship with, let´s say, BMW or Daimler rather than a sudent reading the same subject at greenwich...no offense)

i would like to work in following areas:
    the UN, its "sister" organizations, other humanitarian, diplomatic or supranational organizations (osce,oecd,fpc,opec,world bank), governments, big NGOs, BUT also the private sector, especially the consulting-sector (i.e. firms that deal with foreign countries and markets???).

and how are internship opportunities for SOASians???

some feedback would really really be appreciated, ecpecially from former students with similar academic backgrounds...but people from job-areas i have listed above are also very welcome to add their opinion.

i always had a good feeling and impression about soas, and the school and the BA seem to be right for me...soas just seems to be an exciting place!!! people tell me to do whatever my heart is set on (and it is set on soas and this BA) and worry about future later but then again my brain tells me to be aware about job prospects...it is just that i have read so many posts in the internet and heard so many stories about people with such degrees ending up in a crappy job!!!

thx so much in advance and sorry if i offended any students enrolled in this kind of program or any SOASians,

cheers

ReputationRep:
    United Nations, British Foreign Service, Diplomacy,Banking Consultancy (advising European banks,corporations,governments of the prospects in investing in the third world)

you are so freakin lucky I wanted so badly to get into SOAS but i didn't. I never met so many nice people.

ReputationRep:
    thx
    other folks????
    please...?

ReputationRep:
    There's no doubt that it fits into the niche category, and there's no doubt some people will give you a vague look if you say you go to SOAS. However, a 2:i in politics from a university like that would not give you any problems. In some fields it would stand you out (for its niche qualities). Also, with your other languages you shouldn't have a great deal of issue, if you look for the sort of jobs that like you to have them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Admonitor)
    There's no doubt that it fits into the niche category, and there's no doubt some people will give you a vague look if you say you go to SOAS. However, a 2:i in politics from a university like that would not give you any problems. In some fields it would stand you out (for its niche qualities). Also, with your other languages you shouldn't have a great deal of issue, if you look for the sort of jobs that like you to have them.
    are you at soas?

what do mean pple will give me a vague look?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be quite interested in reading more replies to this question myself. I also have an offer for the same subject.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=MonkeyFace]I'd be quite interested in reading more replies to this question myself. I also have an offer for the same subject.[/QrUOTE]

r u going?

ReputationRep:
    me and my friend both regret being there. Just too many left-wing wannabes are there. As for the internhsips, it is a 50/50 call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mezitli)
    me and my friend both regret being there. Just too many left-wing wannabes are there. As for the internhsips, it is a 50/50 call.
    what exactly do u regret about it? and the internship-thing being 50/50, do you mean it is the same everywhere or is it 50/50 because of SOAS? how would you rate soas´ general rep, and do you anything about job prospects in general?

ReputationRep:
    I would post this thread in the SOAS subforum so you get some sort of real advice. I would guess LSE more fits the bill for the sort of things you are looking for and apart from walking around/past SOAS from time to time I don't really know much about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.