Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    ok i've tried searching all over google for diff.eq, but they all come up in the form y"+y'+y or y'+y, but nothing like y"+y' or y"+y (hope this isn't too confusing! :p: )

    do these kind of diff.eq have a name so i can search for it on google more specifically? or can anyone tell me what the hell the teacher's doing?! :lolwut: (just small parts of it would help majorly!!) thanks!
    • Wiki Support Team

    Wiki Support Team
    Basic differential equations will come up in the form ay'' + by' + cy = f(x), but you're perfectly welcome to set b = 0 or c = 0 in there to get the equations you were talking about. The one your teacher has solved for you is a different one entirely - the coefficients are no longer constant (i.e. they're things like x and x^2, which are obviously changing as x changes), which makes things quite difficult. Your teacher has obviously seen this type of equation before, because (s)he knew that making the substitution x = e^t was going to be a helpful thing to do. The equation is now in terms of y and t rather than y and x, and turns out to be much nicer. (Exponential functions like e^ax are frequently very useful, because they are eigenfunctions of the differential equation operator - that is, their derivatives are constant multiples of themselves.)

    This website goes through loads of different types of differential equations - it's not very 'basic', but it does show you how to solve them.

    If you need any more help with specific lines of that solution, let me know - but there's not really much I can do if you don't tell me where you're struggling.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 7, 2009


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier


Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here


How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.