Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am 20 years old and have been suffering from chronic insomnia for some time. Is it curable? If so how?

ReputationRep:
    Depends, have you asked a doctor to help you?

There are a whole host of possible courses of treatment, ranging from simple advice on bedtime habits and routines, through aromatherapy and herbal remedies all the way through to the hard sleeping drugs. If you've never seen a doctor about your insomnia, chances are you've barely scratched the surface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    Depends, have you asked a doctor to help you?

There are a whole host of possible courses of treatment, ranging from simple advice on bedtime habits and routines, through aromatherapy and herbal remedies all the way through to the hard sleeping drugs. If you've never seen a doctor about your insomnia, chances are you've barely scratched the surface.
    I see your going to Aberdeen, dear god.

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing is finding out what's causing the insomnia and addressing that. Anything bothering you etc? Until you treat the underlying issue, the insomnia won't go away, although you can do some stuff to help.

Beyond that, practice good sleep hygiene. By that, I mean go to bed at around the same time, make sure the room is nice and dark, not too hot and not too cold. Only use the room for sleep, don't read or work etc in bed. Try and relax and wind down for the half hour before you go to bed, don't do any work or use the computer. Have a warm milky drink (non-caffeinated) and get yourself comfy, and try and sleep. If after half an hour or so you're unable to sleep, get up, leave the bedroom and try reading or something for a bit, then try again.

Regarding medication: Sleeping pills are not a cure, only a means to an end. They're not intended for using every night to get you to bed. What you should aim to do is use them for a few days (1 week at most) to get you back into a normal sleeping pattern. If you don't want to take sleeping pills, then you can try taking an antihistamine that will cause drowsiness or Night Nurse or similar.

Do see your doctor as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Just regurgitating what my GP told me about my own insomnia, lol.

ReputationRep:
    As said a trip to the GP is the best plan, they will be able to go over the possiblilities you have for treatment for you and you can find the one that works best for yourself. As for fixing it yourself im not sure how well that would work, i know myself it dosent and hasnt, i always slip back into bad routines.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff your pillow with a pack of dried hops and lavender. Might help

ReputationRep:
    Medical professional.

Not idiots on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrkn)
    Medical professional.

Not idiots on the internet.
    Some "idiots on the internet" may have recovered from it and can help. Sometimes a lot more helpful than doctors as doctors often tell you to relax and crap which you already know.

Not quite a chronic insomniac but I'm getting close atm.

ReputationRep:
    with treatment yeah i guess so

ReputationRep:
    Make sure it really is insomnia....If you simply don't need to sleep very much it isn't a problem if you only get 4/5 hours a night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    He has made some good points about non medical therapies,and is not expected to know much medicine before he starts the course there.

and so what If he is going to Aberdeen? Would you care to elaborate on your asinine remark?

ReputationRep:
    A spliff a day keeps the insomnia away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    He has made some good points about non medical therapies,and is not expected to know much medicine before he starts the course there.

and so what If he is going to Aberdeen? Would you care to elaborate on your asinine remark?
    Gets boring after 4 years. Oh, and for the record I study there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.