Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pakistan Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud ‘Confirmed dead’ Watch

ReputationRep:

Pakistan has Confirmed information that the country’s most-wanted militant, Taliban warlord Baitullah Mehsud, is dead but official confirmation is still pending, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said Friday.
    Source:Pakistan Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud ‘Confirmed dead’

ReputationRep:
    Not much to say apart from: good.

ReputationRep:
    Snappy dresser isn't (wasn't) he. Can't say I'll shed too many tears.

ReputationRep:
    And so more pashtun die in an American-Arab war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    And so more pashtun die in an American-Arab war.
    Well they shouldn't aligned themselves with those Arabs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Well they shouldn't aligned themselves with those Arabs.
    That's a really great understanding of pashtunwali you've got there Bartos.

ReputationRep:
    That's a really great understanding of pashtunwali you've got there Bartos.
    I know what pashtunwali is, who says the American are exclusively only going after Arabs?

ReputationRep:
    I know what pashtunwali is, who says the American are exclusively only going after Arabs?
    Well, you've dodged the point completely. Al Qaeda, a generally Arabic organisation, tricked the Taliban into making them their guests before they attacked America. On these grounds, the Taliban could then not allow AQ to be harmed. And then America invaded Afghanistan, so the Taliban's natural position as the rulers of Afghanistan has been to resist, especially since from THEIR point of view America is fighting a war on Islam.

It's not really America's fault, but the Taliban are nowhere near as bad as we portray them as. The US has propped up/been friends with dozens of tyrannical regimes -- I don't see why it would be so wrong for them to be pro Taliban either, tbh. This is a war between Arabs and Americans. The Arabs tricked the Pashtun into making them their guests and the Americans were too incensed to understand it.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth? He looks like an actor trying to dress like somebody in the Taliban - or Captain Hook:

Spoiler:
    Show

On-topic: This is good news; I don't think I could possibly add anything else.

ReputationRep:
    doesnt look anything like a terrorist.. not even a terrifying one..

ReputationRep:
    I tried to get Rashid's book on the Taliban today (no luck),
    If you do, get his follow up book 'Descent in to Chaos' - I'm reading it at the moment; very good. You Iranian Goon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folderol)
    If you do, get his follow up book 'Descent in to Chaos' - I'm reading it at the moment; very good. You Iranian Goon.
    Well, well, well.... if it isn't my dushman

ReputationRep:
    I tried to get Rashid's book on the Taliban today (no luck), can u explain how they were "tricked"? I was under the impression they were more than happy to let their "brothers" AQ in, along with other groups such as Chechens and the IMU

Jason Burkes 'On the road to Kandahar cronicles it quite well.

ReputationRep:
    Well, well, well.... if it isn't my dushman
    I return, from the former Islamic Caliphate, the gracious Ottoman Empire.. and you greet me like that? Marg ba you

(Original post by Aeolus)
    I haven't read that one, how would it compare to Rashid's? :holmes:

I will reply to your message when I have time

ReputationRep:
    I

I haven't read that one, how would it compare to Rashid's? :holmes:

I will reply to your message when I have time

It compliments it very well, although i have only just started both, Burke gives a westerners viewpoint to rashids Islamic viewpoint. Burkes quite an authority on the subject aswell, being one of those ideaological westerners who fought with the Muj during his youth and made some interesting friends and contacts. He seems to understand the extremist phenomena very well. He has written some very good articles for the Observer as well which you can find online if you search his name :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Ironically I did pick that up

I return, from the former Islamic Caliphate, the gracious Ottoman Empire.. and you greet me like that? Marg ba you

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

Also, my sources say that picture was made using a Zio-computer.. what happened to the boycott?

ReputationRep:
    This wont change anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really America's fault, but the Taliban are nowhere near as bad as we portray them as.
    The Taliban were gearing up to genocide all non-Muslims in Afghanistan before 9/11.

And even among Muslims they were hardly a force for good. For instance, they won't let females attend school. And when some six year old girls defied the Taliban and went to school, the Taliban punished them by splashing strong acid in their faces.

And let's not forget the historic statues they destroyed.

The US has propped up/been friends with dozens of tyrannical regimes
    Maybe during the Cold War. But that was because we needed allies against the even greater evil of Russia.

The Arabs tricked the Pashtun into making them their guests and the Americans were too incensed to understand it.
    Just like al-Qa'ida should be distinguished from the Taliban, the Taliban should be distinguished from the Pashtun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaison2)
    doesnt look anything like a terrorist.. not even a terrifying one..
    He's just a fighter resisting. If you were to go over there, you'd be a terrorist too for doing the same thing as the American troops.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.