54.17%
    Russia was to blame.
    33.33%
    I'm not sure about the facts.
    12.50%
    I don't care
    0%

ReputationRep:
    What is your view of the situation in South Ossetia? who was to blame, Georgia or Russia?

IMO I think that Russia's expansionist foreign policy was to blame, and the Georgians were lured into a trap in which the Russians were able to recognise both South Ossetia and Abkhazia as indepedent republics, following the EU's acceptance of Kosovo as an independent state.

Also Georgia's attempt to be accepted into NATO may have also triggered a reaction from the Russians, as Russia had claimed previously to want to have a "sphere of influence in which it was the major power of the region", which seems to me to be a cheaper way of influencing eastern bloc countries without reverting to the expensive and troublesome Soviet Union.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPm0UC2R2ZE
    So it looks like Russian tanks again saved the world from Fashism Evil.
    If somebody thinks that he is second Hitler that's his own problem. Unfortunately so as he is Georgian President that's the problem of all Georgian nation.

ReputationRep:
    Saakashvili's a tyrant who was miffed about South Ossetia not wanting to live under his dictatorial rule.

He's a liability and NATO would do best without him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grim_the_Reaper)
    Saakashvili's a tyrant who was miffed about South Ossetia not wanting to live under his dictatorial rule.

He's a liability and NATO would do best without him.
    Saakashvilly didn't need alive Osetians.He wanted to kill them all.

ReputationRep:
    The Georgians tried to kill all the Ossetians.
    That was why Russia had to step in.

ReputationRep:
    Six of one and half a dozen of the other. :moon:

To be honest I can't say. As far as I know Georgia claimed that South Ossetian separatist groups were firing on them first, and so they had to fire back. Russia became involved because they were supposed to be policing the border/area and because most South Ossetian residents have Russian passports? But then of course you have to ask why the United Nations allowed an obviously interested party to be a mediator in the area. It's obvious that giving SO residents Russian passports gave Russia some leverage in the area, but then the enclave was previously part of the Soviet Union and it is Russian policy to give anyone born in the former Soviet Union the option of Russian citizenship. (You might then call that an attempt to maintain a Russian presence in the former USSR.)

Anyway I do think the subsequent response was, eh, disproportionate. But I can see Russia's point concerning Serbia. The Soviet Union, afaik, would split up enclaves (like North and South Ossetia; the former is part of the Russian Federation now) in order to maintain control over ethnic minorities by separating them politically (although I haven't read too much about that, so don't quote me on that). I don't think SO is necessarily legitimately part of Georgia, as it was pretty much brought under Georgian/Soviet control by force during the Civil War.

But anyway back to the present. I don't really know who is to blame. Tbh. So yeah hope that was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    From what I know South Ossetia has expressed its desire to become an independent country, only Russia and Nicaragua have regonised it as an independent country. Then there was something about Georgia "invading" the region(which is still theirs if I'm not mistaken) and Russia stepping in to rid the region of the invading Georgian army.

I therefore see Georgia as a danger to that part of the world, who provoked as much as they could thinking that they had the USA behind them, however as soon as Russia intervened, the USA knew where they stood and Georgia was left powerless.

ReputationRep:
    Georgia is a danger to the free world and should be reprimanded for their Nazi like aggressive actions against the poor people of South Ossetia. promising them increased autonomy one day then literally the next day pouring their military into the area - killing civilians - both South Ossetian (AND RUSSIANS), destroying hospitals, injuring/killing Russian peacekeeperes in the area. The South Ossetia people greeted the Russian saviors with open arms.

p.s. obviously Georgia is not a danger to the free world because tbh theyre a very insignificant country (and im saying this as a 1/4 Georgian), i just wanted to make the opening sentence of this post sound dramatic :p:

ReputationRep:
    My first reaction a year ago was that the Russian reaction was somewhat heavy handed.

Looking at it now, and looking back, I still am thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    Georgia is a danger to the free world and should be reprimanded for their Nazi like aggressive actions against the poor people of South Ossetia.
    A country should do all it can to uphold the rule of law over its territory. That is the foremost responsibility of a state, beyond any other.

promising them increased autonomy one day then literally the next day pouring their military into the area - killing civilians - both South Ossetian (AND RUSSIANS), destroying hospitals, injuring/killing Russian peacekeeperes in the area. The South Ossetia people greeted the Russian saviors with open arms
    If I didn't disagree with the logic behind treason laws, I'd probably advocate them being strung-up for that sort of behaviour. Giving aid and comfort to the Russians, indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Found this on the DT website.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/t...f-Georgia.html

What a load of crap.

Most of the comments thankfully think the same.

It totally airbrushes the fact that Georgia started the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    A country should do all it can to uphold the rule of law over its territory. That is the foremost responsibility of a state, beyond any other.
    So mass genocide in South Ossetia was ok ?:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    So mass genocide in South Ossetia was ok ?:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
    Genocide is, by definition, an absence of the rule of law.

It totally airbrushes the fact that Georgia started the whole thing.
    Of course it didn't. South Ossetia made an illegal attempt to declare independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Genocide is, by definition, an absence of the rule of law.

You really are clueless.
    Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    You really are clueless.
    Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group
    As a student of international criminal law, I suspect I know a great deal more than you about genocide. What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    As a student of international criminal law, I suspect I know a great deal more than you about genocide. What's your point?
    That your statement "Genocide is, by definition, an absence of the rule of law" is grievously wrong. I do wonder about the international law you claim to study.
    Do you study it off the back of cornflakes packets ?

Edit:
    I see that you studied at Aberdeen.
    That explains it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Your view that it is acceptable to attack and kill innocent civilians(Which is what Georgia did) says more about you than anything else.

I take it you believe the Tiananmen square massacre was justified in order to 'uphold rule of law'?

ReputationRep:
    Your view that it is acceptable to attack and kill innocent civilians(Which is what Georgia did) says more about you than anything else.
    Pathetic.

I take it you believe the Tiananmen square massacre was justified in order to 'uphold rule of law'?
    No, there was no attack on the rule of the law. The protesters there were not engaged in an armed uprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    No, there was no attack on the rule of the law. The protesters there were not engaged in an armed uprising.
    Neither were the South Ossetians.

They VOTED to be independent in the 2006 referendum.

They opted to break away from Georgia peacefully. Georgia then proceeds to use armed force to subjugate them once again.

ReputationRep:
    Neither were the South Ossetians.

They VOTED to be independent in the 2006 referendum.

They opted to break away from Georgia peacefully. Georgia then proceeds to use armed force to subjugate them once again.
    That is, in itself, a criminal act recognised by every state on earth. I don't see why this isn't getting through to you: secession is illegal. In fact, it is the highest crime you can commit against a state and in most countries would qualify as treason.

It is legal fact that they did not and could not 'break away' from Georgia. Using armed force to subjugate people to the law is the right - no, in fact the duty - of every state. Any pretended 'South Ossetian' military are nothing more than terrorists who belong in prison.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.