Russia was to blame.
    33.33%
    I'm not sure about the facts.
    12.50%
    I don't care
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    That your statement "Genocide is, by definition, an absence of the rule of law" is grievously wrong. I do wonder about the international law you claim to study.
    Do you study it off the back of cornflakes packets ?

Edit:
    I see that you studied at Aberdeen.
    That explains it...
    Anyway we don't fear Georgian bloody-pocket dictator Mishiko.
    Until we are such men like Putin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncW1zqMFgs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    That your statement "Genocide is, by definition, an absence of the rule of law" is grievously wrong.

Edit:
    I see that you studied at Aberdeen.
    That explains it...
    Troll fail.

For those with half a mind - and I am of course not including the dolt I am replying to in that category - I suppose I need not point out the weightiness of genocide as a crime, but it's certainly pertinent to the point. Moreover, when we're discussing genocide by the state, we delve into the realms of collective and arbitrary punishment in most cases rather than out-right racial hatred. A state which practices genocide, or indeed arbitrary punishment, steps outwith legal order.

Due to its weighty standing, 'genocide' is a term which is often misapplied by the ignorant. On this forum, I have seen Irish nationalists accuse the British state of it over the Potato Famine. People are over-eager to cast their enemies as somehow abhorrent. South Ossetia, however, has been a perfectly ordinary civil uprising against the state, and been perfectly ordinarily responded to by the Georgian authorities. Yes, crimes have been committed on the ground - I do not deny that - but it is far from unusual in war, particularly civil war where the enemy is disguised and operating covertly. That does not a genocide make.

Still, my argument has never been about the laws of war, but rather the law of territorial integrity. Elements in South Ossetia are entirely wrong to attempt to secede, and Georgia is perfectly entitled to use a reasonable amount of force to quell such attempts.

(Original post by Paul PTS)
    Anyway we don't fear Georgian bloody-pocket dictator Mishiko.
    Until we are such men like Putin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncW1zqMFgs
    Rather missing the point, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    Do half the people here miss a brain or do they just parrot what they are told? South Ossetia isn't a state. Will never be a state. It's a little terrortority run by a leader who acts more like a boss of a criminal empire. All of the money that the Russians gave them last year has been wasted. While the Georgians have spent their money helping their refugees the Ossetians have spent it on themselves.

Oh and for your information. A week and half before the war. The S.Ossetians took all of the women and children that wanted to move out of the area and into North Ossetia. Their militiamen were firing at Georgians and the Georgians were responding back. No one knows if the Georgians actually believed the Russians were coming but we do know this. The Ossetians started the whole thing by firing at the Georgians a week before Georgia sent their troops to Tshinkvali.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.