Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've only just received my offer so left applying for accommodation a bit late...Bridges would have been my first choice but think it's full up, what would everyone recommend between childs, hillside and martindale?
    thought hillside looked nice but it says it's more for single mature students and I would like a bit of a social life!
    thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Surely single mature students means not married? If you're doing a postgrad you'll probably want to avoid all of the 1st year undergrads at Childs. The majority of postgrads stay at hillside, martindale, sherfield, or student village/st georges as far as I know.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/life-a...n-apply-pg.asp

Have you checked out the website? Might make it easier for you to decide.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Also, you can't appyl online until 10th Aug because the RISIS Web portal is down til then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be in Hillside and I'm sure it's not going to be completely populated by overworking hermits. I for one would like a social life but maybe not as crazy as a first years.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to sibly as i needed a 12 month contract, and was on a budget! I was worried about ending up with freshers but the accommodation service said to me that in that halls case they try to group post grads/third years on the upper floors (consider third years may have been on a work placement/year abroad so dont know anyone to get a house with) and they put the younger students on the lower floors where they can party hard. So this kind of segregation strategy may go on in other halls, i'd email the hall direct if you are curious

I thought about hillside, put it as my only back up choice but the whole mature vibe made me think at 22 I could end up with like 27 year old iranian phd students. Of course this could happen at sibly as well but we'll just have to see!

So i suppose just make sure there's a few halls that you can handle living in that you can put on your form to make sure you have a chance of getting one of them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.