The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What's with all these people wanting to shag their cousins today. Incest is in the air.

I can't imagine it to be fair, but i've seen my second cousins quite a lot ever since we were kids. It would just be weird.
Reply 21
Second cousins are legit. First cousin marriages are the norm in much of the world - although Im not sure about advocating it.
Reply 22
Samalama
What kind of second cousins. As in, the daughters of the sibling of your non-blood related uncle/auntie? Or the children of one of your cousins...?

Children of your cousins are first cousins once removed, not second cousins. Second cousins are the first cousins of your parents - so nieces/nephews of your grandparents. It's a pretty distant relation.
Reply 23
sadie-kiki
Children of your cousins are first cousins once removed, not second cousins. Second cousins are the first cousins of your parents - so nieces/nephews of your grandparents. It's a pretty distant relation.

random.....

Either way, If there's a blood relation. Just no.
Reply 24
sadie-kiki

Both the relations you described are first cousins once removed not second cousins.
sadie-kiki

Ooooh is this really how it works? We've been having this discussion for years in my family! Mainly because my cousin on my dads side is the same age as my mum so I have a lot of 'cousins' which are her children and their children etc. Where did you find this information?
Reply 26
Bloody hell...what the **** is wrong with some people?!?!?! its incest....its dirty...its NASTY
Reply 27
that_time
Both the relations you described are first cousins once removed not second cousins.

my bad :s-smilie:
I know they're supposed to be the ones who are the same generation as you, but I can't work out exactly what that is :p:
Reply 28
shorty.loves.angels
Ooooh is this really how it works? We've been having this discussion for years in my family! Mainly because my cousin on my dads side is the same age as my mum so I have a lot of 'cousins' which are her children and their children etc. Where did you find this information?

There's a diagram here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

sadie-kiki
my bad :s-smilie:
I know they're supposed to be the ones who are the same generation as you, but I can't work out exactly what that is :p:

That's ok, I get pretty confused by all the terminology myself! Your second cousins are your parent's cousin's children. I think it's made more confusing by the fact that some people use the term 'second cousin' to describe their cousins' cousins - who aren't actually genetic relations at all...
Anonymous
ok, please keep anon, but i went to a wedding where my two second cousins were at the same table as us, and i couldn't stop noticing them, and couldn't stop thinking about one of them, is this incest? :confused:

I'd say it would be more acceptable if you felt attracted etc., and e.g. if a relationship had already started before you ound out that you were second cousins...

--
Second cousins: Have the same great-grandparents as you, but different grandparents than you
It's perfectly legal for second cousins to marry. Don't worry about it.
Reply 31

On the basis of this, it really doesn't seem as bad as people are making out. Your great grandfather/mother's great grandaughter is pretty far removed. The OP says he fancies his second cousins, not that he wants to do anything about it.
Reply 32
For All You Dumb People A Second Cousin Is Your Cousins Son/daughter So Yes There Is A Relation
zKlown
I LOLed at the way he used "that"

It's not like you can measure "relatedness", they're either related or not, black or white, no grey areas.

That's rubbish, everyone is related to each other. Of course you can measure relatedness.
Anonymous
ok, please keep anon, but i went to a wedding where my two second cousins were at the same table as us, and i couldn't stop noticing them, and couldn't stop thinking about one of them, is this incest? :confused:

More like wincest :awesome:

Nobutsrsly, it's fine. Most second cousins are barely even related.
yes that's very very very wrong..
Reply 36
Try and avoid it, if you can.
YerMah
For All You Dumb People A Second Cousin Is Your Cousins Son/daughter So Yes There Is A Relation

Your cousin's son or daughter....
is your first cousin once removed

Not 2nd cousin...
What are your second cousins?
YerMah

I thought that was your first cousin once removed

Latest

Trending

Trending