Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it ok to feel attracted to your second cousins? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When you give it serious thought somewhere along the lines everyone in the world is related so who really gives a **** if you wanna bone your second cousin?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    I thought that was your first cousin once removed
    A second cousin is the son/daughter of your parents first cousin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    A second cousin is the son/daughter of your parents first cousin.
    So your second cousin, if you think about it, is like...1/16 related to you or maybe even less

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, i thought i knew what first and second cousins were, but this thread has confused me even more. :woo:

So what would my aunt (my dads sister-in-law), her siblings children be to me?

Also, what would the children of my great uncle (grandmother's brother) and their children be to me?

ReputationRep:
    First cousins are people directly related to your parents. so their brothers/sistsers or nephews/nieces.

Second cousions are people who are cousins of your parents.

I know all of my first and second cousins - the numbers run into hundreds, lol

-------------

the real question is why is your parents uncle called the great uncle? he should be the grand uncle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    That's rubbish, everyone is related to each other. Of course you can measure relatedness.
    I ain't gonna get into an argument over this, technically speaking you're correct yeah, but when it comes down to family, ya know?

ReputationRep:
    if they are not the same generation as you then its wrong, so none of this once removed business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    Oh God, i thought i knew what first and second cousins were, but this thread has confused me even more. :woo:

So what would my aunt (my dads sister-in-law), her siblings children be to me?

Also, what would the children of my great uncle (grandmother's brother) and their children be to me?

Your dads sister-in-law's siblings children would have no blood relation to you...so i guess its ok..not sure what name i would give the relationship though..as its pretty far.

Your great uncles kids would be your first cousin removed..and their kids would be your second cousins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    First cousins are people directly related to your parents. so their brothers/sistsers or nephews/nieces.

Second cousions are people who are cousins of your parents.

I know all of my first and second cousins - the numbers run into hundreds, lol

-------------

the real question is why is your parents uncle called the great uncle? he should be the grand uncle.
    It's the same thing.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Your dads sister-in-law's siblings children would have no blood relation to you...so i guess its ok..not sure what name i would give the relationship though..as its pretty far.

Your great uncles kids would be your first cousin removed..and their kids would be your second cousins.
    Okay thanks. I always thought the former were my first cousins, probably due to me being close to them, and the latter being a way off distant relative. Well that's cleared a lot up!

ReputationRep:
    If it turns sour, it could make future family get-togethers difficult in the future and cause awkwardness within the family.

Also, she/he could be thinking of you in the 'family-zone', so if you try anything, may react badly, which can put some strain on the family.

?

If not, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ok, please keep anon, but i went to a wedding where my two second cousins were at the same table as us, and i couldn't stop noticing them, and couldn't stop thinking about one of them, is this incest? :confused:
    It's legal. Whether it is 'OK' or not is a matter of personal opinion.

I don't have a problem with non-abusive, consensual incest involving adults as long as the individuals are very careful where reproduction is concerned. Obviously, this case isn't strictly speaking incest but if I don't have a problem with siblings shacking up, I won't have a problem with cousins.

Loads of people will have a different opinion to me but I challenge everyone to think about why they feel certain things are acceptable/unacceptable and then engage me in a sensible discussion if they still feel strongly about it.

ReputationRep:
    It's legal, but it's stil frowned upon.

Personally i'd say nonono!

Second cousins: either your mum/dad's cousins or your cousin's children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)

Your fathers sister-in-law is your mothers sister, her siblings would also be your mothers siblings, so you would be related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    It's the same thing.:yes:
    well then what is your name of the brother of your great granddad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ok, please keep anon, but i went to a wedding where my two second cousins were at the same table as us, and i couldn't stop noticing them, and couldn't stop thinking about one of them, is this incest? :confused:
    If you act on it, yes, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6Y16NpDug

Your problem, not mine.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by zKlown)
    It's not like you can measure "relatedness", they're either related or not, black or white, no grey areas.
    Errr what? Of course you can, very easily in fact. By your logic, you can't date anyone because everyone's related to you to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    well then what is your name of the brother of your great granddad?
    Great-great uncle, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adriana Ambrosio)
    Your fathers sister-in-law is your mothers sister, her siblings would also be your mothers siblings, so you would be related.
    What the hell, absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    :p:
    (Original post by Adriana Ambrosio)
    A fathers sister in law...could also be his brothers wife, and i'm sure if he was on about his mothers sister he would have said that instead of saying his dads sister in law!

Or i may be wrong? Who knows?:p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.