Turn on thread page Beta

Zinc and Echinacea for Swine Flu? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay my local newspaper contains an ad for a health shop which is suggesting that one might consider taking zinc, Echinacea and Selenium to beat swine flu.

I don't know about you, but this sounds like this shop is attempting to cash-in on people's fears about swine flu. I could be wrong. Surely, you would not think of taking Vitamic C (also suggested) for swine flu even though there is simply no scientific proof that Vit C can even cure or prevent the common cold anyway?

Oddly, amongst the herbs and vits suggested, they've printed a picture of Whinston Churchill with his finger pointing. Very odd.

ReputationRep:
    They will be acting on the fact that all the things recommended can be said to help build up your immune system. However they are playing on people's fears in that those who are worried may stock up thinking it's a cure. I believe something similar was stopped a while ago under claiming unproven benefits. If they've said you might justconsider taking it though with no fixed health claims there's nothing that can be done.

ReputationRep:
    To me, it's slightly suspect. At least they're peddling an item which has some efficacy for something, rather than doses of, I don't know, homoeopathic arnica. Zinc compounds are used to treat symptoms of the common cold, I know almost nothing about echinacea, so ought not really to comment.

A couple of links you may be interested in:

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...906998,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...914655,00.html

ReputationRep:
    Well it'll do less harm than Tamiflu.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.