Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine told me that at Cambridge, if you get a first in your exams you get free accommodation during the holidays.

Is this true or not? (I'll be at Trinity Hall if that makes any difference)

ReputationRep:
    This certainly isn't true at my college. I imagine this is probably bs.

ReputationRep:
    You also get a personal butler during that vacation time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Nope, but you do tend to get cash prizes.

ReputationRep:
    At Trinity College you get reduced rent in vacations if you get a first.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on college, so ask Tit Hall directly. It's not true for Girton for example, but you do get £500. Most colleges have cash prizes between £200-500, some have other perks like a better room or vacation accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    Not at Christ's (but you do get £100, first-choice on the best rooms for the following year, and possibly a cash prize linked to your subject). At Christ's you can also get a certain numbers of days of holiday accommodation free, but only if you do a "Humanities" subject (which causes a lot of ill will...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    Depends on college, so ask Tit Hall directly. It's not true for Girton for example, but you do get £500. Most colleges have cash prizes between £200-500, some have other perks like a better room or vacation accomodation.
    £500? :eek: I don't think the prizes at my college are worth that much... and I thought we were one of the richer colleges.

ReputationRep:
    £1000 is just ridiculous. :lolwut: At Downing they give you £100 cash and £100 in book tokens, plus a dinner mid-term. No nice rooms or any other perks!

ReputationRep:
    Clare is £100 for a first with no other perks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    £500? :eek: I don't think the prizes at my college are worth that much... and I thought we were one of the richer colleges.
    Yeah, most of my friends at other colleges said £500 was a lot. I guess it makes sense for a college like Girton, who is not known for its amazing academic results, to spend money on this prize though - it certainly is a motivator for people who are doing well and could get a first if they just worked a little harder.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the college, but all offer perks for getting a first. no college offers free accomodation but generally scolars will get the best accomodation and a variety of perks from cash prizes, to book funds, to (at trinity) the ability to post letters without a stamp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    Not at Christ's (but you do get £100, first-choice on the best rooms for the following year, and possibly a cash prize linked to your subject). At Christ's you can also get a certain numbers of days of holiday accommodation free,but only if you do a "Humanities" subject (which causes a lot of ill will...).
    eh? Rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedliv)
    At Trinity College you get reduced rent in vacations if you get a first.
    And it should be free over Long Vacation.

From the statutes:
    8. A Senior Scholar who resides in College during any part of the Long
    Vacation shall pay no rent for his or her rooms for that time.

and it's the same for Junior Scholars. If you get a first you become either a Junior or Senior scholar depending on what year you're in/how high up in the year you came.

So it is true, just at Trinity rather than the whole university.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid rich Trinity :mad:

ReputationRep:
    ... and once again I regret not applying there. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tenacity_)
    A friend of mine told me that at Cambridge, if you get a first in your exams you get free accommodation during the holidays.

Is this true or not? (I'll be at Trinity Hall if that makes any difference)
    Essentially yes. At Tit Hall, if you get a first, you get to keep your room for free during the holidays (Christmas and Easter, not the summer). As far as I know, it's just a Tit Hall perk, not a general thing.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky :dry:
    I'm getting £175. I got boosted to the top of the rooms ballot, and I'll get to go to the Benefactors Feast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Liana*)
    And it should be free over Long Vacation.

From the statutes:
    8. A Senior Scholar who resides in College during any part of the Long
    Vacation shall pay no rent for his or her rooms for that time.

and it's the same for Junior Scholars. If you get a first you become either a Junior or Senior scholar depending on what year you're in/how high up in the year you came.

So it is true, just at Trinity rather than the whole university.
    Not (quite) true. The room charge is split up into portions, of which 35.25% is the 'room rent' element. (Presumably the rest is bedder service, linen and what not) So you still have to pay ~two-thirds of the normal room charge over vacations.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.