Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I heard that the sun can reduce the appearance of scars but it seems to have done the opposite for me :/
    Is there anything I can do to make them fade?

ReputationRep:
    Bio Oil?
    Decelor prolagene gel is supposed to be great

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried scar treatment?

ReputationRep:
    It can help then fade but you have to remember that they are also more likely to get burnt. Try soothing them with some aloe vera gel for now.
    Bio oil (or rather the cheap version called Rescue Oil) i find works to a degree but you need to use it a lot to see any result.
    Vitamin E cream also seems to work for me.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you hear that? lol.

Scar tissue doesn't darken like normal skin therefore they're more visible when in the sun. (They turn red and flakey).

Scars are more likely to be damaged by the UV rays as well .
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Scars don't tan, so will stand out more if you have one, but being exposed to the sun can help them to fade (although they burn easily so remember to use sun cream).

Palmers Cocoa Butter is good, or any lotion with Vitamin E in, and Bio-Oil.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought it has the reverse as the sun will bring out the scar due to the surrounding skin getting darker with a tan.

As said Bio-Oil is a good one to try, it had limited effects on myself, but it seemed to help the scars along their way to being less visable, im afriad there is no quick route with trying to minimise scars, it will take awhile.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.