Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ce-3-week.html

Personally I think its an excellent idea, people taking their security into their own hands and not having to rely on the state. People say privatised policing doesn't work, well it clearly does here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it has clearly worked, but it sounds like a decent idea. They have no extra power though, so realistically they can't do much.

ReputationRep:
    Why do we need this when we have the A team?

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Similar story here, I saw this on BBC London last week:

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/cont...A51%3A27%3A603

ReputationRep:
    So Gangsta
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I've got no problem with the idea. I'd prefer it wasn't needed, obviously, and I don't need it for my area, but if people really are concerned about crime then it's the obvious action to take.

But local Labour MP Alan Whitehead criticised the scheme, saying it was 'based on exaggerating both a fear of crime and their own legal and practical powers in responding to concerns'.

He added: 'I remain of the view that a paid vigilante service is not the best way to ensure that our communities are kept safe.'
    Evidently he doesn't know what 'vigilante' means - these security men are doing nothing objectionable at all; they are certainly not punishing people extra-judicially.

As for powers and fears - I'm sure the people will judge whether it is worth the small amount of money they are paying. The powers argument is silly anyway - the best policing in the world is simply a matter of throwing sunlight on criminals. This is best accomplished by private citizens, working together, not by some reference to draconian 'powers' and authority.

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to know what qualifies them to do a better job than proper rozzers.

even the pointless plastic police have hats. these guys can't even get matching coloured shirts! :

ReputationRep:
    Awesome idea tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGimpMan)
    i'd love to know what qualifies them to do a better job than proper rozzers.
    They are in addition to the police.

even the pointless plastic police have hats. these guys can't even get matching coloured shirts! :
    They do look a bit camp.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with private security. So long as they are well trained and level headed- not just thugs looking to get into fights etc.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.