Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel so sick right now and so unlucky.
    My bf lives abroad and I came to visit him for a month, haven't seen him all year. Neither of us ever got coldsores so it wasn't an issue for oral sex (I barely ever did it with my ex cos I was afraid of getting herpes).
    So last night we kissed lots then he went down on me. About half an hour later I realised I had a cold sore! I have no idea where it came from.
    He doesn't have one and I think it's quite unlikely I got it from him as I'd only been with him 24 hours or so when it appeared. I'm so worried now that I got genital herpes from this. But that would be so incredibly unlucky - getting the cold sore, not noticing, him going down on me.... ugh if only I'd just noticed it an hour earlier! Is it likely he's given me herpes?

ReputationRep:
    Cold sores are you usually caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus 1, whilst genital herpes (which I think is what you're worried about) is normally caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus 2. It's unlikely that you'll get herpes down there from HSV 1 though you might want to go to the doctor to get checked. Also, you might have cold sores without knowing it. Many people get it when they are little at day cares, what with babies putting toys in their mouths and such. So, it could be the case that you just had a cold sore now whilst having the virus all along. Cold sores are usually triggered by things like stress and exposure to the sun. Maybe the excitement of seeing your boyfriend could have triggered it and caused the cold sore. I don't think it's likely that you got it so quickly from kissing your boyfriend. People can usually feel a cold sore coming a day before so I don't think you got it from him.

If you're still really worried, just go to your doctor and get checked. Also, be sure to let your boyfriend know so that if he's worried, he can get checked as well. Be sure to put some acyclovir on that cold sore to help it go away fast!

That's true but you can get type 1 on your genitals via oral sex. Would be so awful if I did, as all my life I've gone out of my way to be careful and avoid it happening. Can't believe not only did a get the cold sore, but to get it on the very day I went to see my bf and then have him go down on me without realising. Agh! I guess I can only hope for the best now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel so sick right now and so unlucky.
    My bf lives abroad and I came to visit him for a month, haven't seen him all year. Neither of us ever got coldsores so it wasn't an issue for oral sex (I barely ever did it with my ex cos I was afraid of getting herpes).
    So last night we kissed lots then he went down on me. About half an hour later I realised I had a cold sore! I have no idea where it came from.
    He doesn't have one and I think it's quite unlikely I got it from him as I'd only been with him 24 hours or so when it appeared. I'm so worried now that I got genital herpes from this. But that would be so incredibly unlucky - getting the cold sore, not noticing, him going down on me.... ugh if only I'd just noticed it an hour earlier! Is it likely he's given me herpes?
    oooh ive had this happen to me! My bf had a coldsore, went down on me and i ended up with herpes . honestly the worst pain ive ever had, thought it would never go. I doubt you'll have genital herpes tbh but cant you go see a doctor or to a gum clinic to put your mind at rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren_lfc)
    oooh ive had this happen to me! My bf had a coldsore, went down on me and i ended up with herpes . honestly the worst pain ive ever had, thought it would never go. I doubt you'll have genital herpes tbh but cant you go see a doctor or to a gum clinic to put your mind at rest?
    Ditto :o:
    You can get type 1 or 2 on your genitals from oral with your boyfriend having a coldsore. However as it was YOU with the coldsore and not him, I'd say the chances are low? If you have no symptoms, it's unlikely, as I bloody well knew I had something!! (sorry if I've misread!)

Well there's no real test, apparently most people have HSV-1 antibodies so testing would be futile. God, I'm going to worry about this for months now, like what if it's just not shown up yet, but will in the future? From what I can see it would be unlikely - I really hope so! I guess a lot of people have coldsores and they don't all end up giving themselves and their partners herpes....

I was diagnosed with herpees a few weeks ago.
    it was a few days after the boy im seeing went down on me.. he didnt have a cold sore at the time but had had one in the past... so im not sure who i got it form because the doctor and people at the gum clinic have said it can lay dormant for days/weeks/months or years... ive had 3 partners over a few years, i only talk to the one im seeing at the moment so will never know if they get an outbreak...even though they could go their whole life without ever knowing they had it...

I wouldn't wish the pain on any body, i got told by a friend whos a gp that the pain is 4 times worse than after child birth. i couldn't walk properly or sit. i'm healing now and it's irrating, kinda itchy... they say other out breaks aren't as bad... but im hoping to never get another... i dont want to go through it again...

I think its unlikely to spread it from a cold sore from you, to him, to you getting the genital type... your chances would be very low... the best thing to do would be to go see a professional... it would settle your mind.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.