Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Basically I like going out and having a good time, but in moderation to everything else, but i have been recently hearing that manchester has the highest binge drinking rate along with liverpool in the whole of the Uk, i find this ashtonishing and quiet worrying, as with the heavy drinking there is alot of violence and generally more crime...

Is this a worry of anyone else who is hopefully going to be starting at manchester university, or am i just over reacting?

Source of information

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20979129/

1 Manchester;
    2 Salford;
    3 Liverpool;
    4 Middlesbrough;
    5 Rochdale,
    Lancs;
    6 Hammersmith & Fulham, London;
    7 Hull;
    8 Halton, Cheshire;
    9 Tameside, Grt Manchester;
    10 Oldham, Lancs.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, don't listen to anything the Mirror has to say. Secondly, no, it's not a problem. If you want to go out and drink every night, that's certainly possible, but it's not advised and you won't last long doing that.

As with violence and crime, if you're sensible and don't go walking down any dark alleys alone, you're fine. This is true of ANY city, not just Manchester/Liverpool.

You can do what you want, just because others might drink a lot doesn't mean you have to. You can easily go out and not drink, or find a group of friends who are into what you're into.

Bottom line is, whether you want to go out once a month, week, or every night, you can find places to do that in Manchester. That's the beauty of it.

ReputationRep:
    At least Halton is on the top for something I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, over reacting

ReputationRep:
    why the hell would it worry you? YOU don't have to binge drink.

I have no idea why you're going to manchester, you seem to have horrifically negative views about absolutely everything to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this fits in this thread:

I heard that most people in Britain are extremely corpulent. A relative of mine went up there few weeks ago and she said, she didn't see one slim women.
    Is that true for the Mancs as well?

ReputationRep:
    No. There are some fatties, some skinnies, some people in the middle. Why does it matter?
    Are people honestly worried that if they come to Manc they'll turn into fat, binge-drinking criminals?

PS: That binge drinking list is clearly BS anyway. Where's Newcastle??

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: We're grim Northern troglodytes, what else do you expect us to do? :eek: Well, in all honesty, I almost never drink -- but then I'm hardly the average specimen.

There's huge inequality, and thus poverty, in many of those Northern cities. Of course, that doesn't mean that you need to drown your presumably inexistant existential woes, as those living in our sink estates might, though. Nor do you have to be a white sheep, if many people at university here do drink. Students the country over drink, **** and generally monkey around: it's almost in the human genome.

Besides, change your newspaper from that tabloid tripe, and then we'll talk. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Lol the Mirror...

Yes, you are overreacting

ReputationRep:
    Ignore tabloids. Manchester likes a drink but I wouldn't say it was any more than in the other big student cities. I mean come on, a shedload of students, a shedload of bars, loans in bank accounts - what do you expect? Some people just aren't cut out for city life and are easily intimidated...if you are, go to Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.