Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being persuaded away from University because of debts Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well cant you get 9k loan a year instead of 7k loan a year if you go to London :/

My parents put me off London and for okay reasons; expense down there is pretty much unnecessary when you could get an equally good degree from an equally good uni with just as good night life social life etc. However, if you want to go Imperial, LSE etc, I would just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbieeeee)
    Well cant you get 9k loan a year instead of 7k loan a year if you go to London :/
    :lolwut:

OP is worried about having debt, yet you choose to reassure him by telling him he can get larger loans and even more debt?

ReputationRep:
    *desuaded

You're looking at 21k to study in the UK for 3 years, but it's going to work out a bit more in London with the higher living costs. You only get one life though, do it YOUR way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    *desuaded

You're looking at 21k to study in the UK for 3 years, but it's going to work out a bit more in London with the higher living costs. You only get one life though, do it YOUR way.
    dissuaded*

Just out of interest OP, what course/university were you thinking of going into? To be honest, I think you should do what you want to do. University is a valuable experience and it is completely worthwhile. I understand the point of view about debt but it really shouldn't deter you from learning something you love.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want to do.

Worry about that money later. It doesn't need to be paid until you're earning enough to pay it back, which I'm sure you'll manage quite easily with As and Bs in A-Levels and your degree.

It's hardly like you're going to find an amazing job with just your A-Levels in the next year anyway, so you'd have more money for yourself in your university economic bubble.

If you want to go to university, go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    dissuaded*

Just out of interest OP, what course/university were you thinking of going into? To be honest, I think you should do what you want to do. University is a valuable experience and it is completely worthwhile. I understand the point of view about debt but it really shouldn't deter you from learning something you love.

Damn! You got there before me!:rolleyes:

OP, I don't think you should let it deter you from Uni. You should do what you want, it's your life after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    dissuaded*

Haha, thanks

I can hear my mum in my head right now "If you're going to be pedantic, do it right"!

ReputationRep:
    to be fair, yes uni cost a lot, but you have to look at the pro's and con's
    are you aiming for a good uni, will it be worth it, will you get a job after, with paying back the student loan, you don't start until your earning over 15k, and its pretty cheap to back, at a low level, london cost a lot more to live then say going to Newcastle, but you can try and get a part time job to help with cost, live on tesco value, we all do that :p:

its a personal question is do you really want to go, and it will be worth it in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graffic)
    Thanks Robinson

The answer to those questions is Yes I really want to go but is it worth it? Well that's anyone's guess there are stories circulating in the press about LSE graduates doing charity work with no job opportunities and a growing mountain of debt
    uni not just about getting a degree, it helps, use your time wisely and become a well rounded person, and you will hear stories like that, if your working for free or under £15k your not paying back your loan, plus it all adds to your CV

ReputationRep:
    Uni in London doesn't have to be any more expensive than any other city, plus outside of Oxbridge, London has some of the best universities in the country/World.

Don't let the idea of debt put you off. Student debt isn't like normal debt. The interest is pretty low, you only need to pay it back once you get a job of over 15k pa (and then it's tiered depending on your income), it writes itself off after x amount of years and you won't get hounded by debt collectors because of it.

In this current climate, NOT going to university is more of a financial gamble imo. Provided you're after a degree in a decent subject (the World will always need scientists, after all) it makes more sense to get to uni rather than struggle to find a decent paying job in a recession without qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graffic)
    There are certain members in my family who are really trying to persuade me away from going to University, especially in London (which is where I want to go) because of the debts I will encounter after the course.

I'm predicted a A's and 1 B and I am certain I want to continue to study my question is to people who have finished a degree in london how much more your student debt was and whether it was worth it?
    If you got a AAB= better university= better job in the future.

TBH, you can pay it all off later Do what's right for you, not for family.

Loans are a temporary fix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    :lolwut:

OP is worried about having debt, yet you choose to reassure him by telling him he can get larger loans and even more debt?
    He asked how much more student debt was down there and i gave him the answer. possibly 2 k more than anywhere else. He doesnt have to have that much, it is optional .This is meant to be factual. No point in tip toeing around the facts. Good job some people give advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.