The Student Room Group

'Ethnic' Scholarships

I've noticed that quite a few universities have been offering scholarships on grounds of 'ethnic' origin. I have to admit that I have a real problem with these awards.

I'm not talking about say an award made by the Indian Government to offer help to an Indian Passport holder in financial difficulties - I have no problem with that.

A few months ago the University of Warwick sent me a letter offering a scholarship for LLB applicants who took up a place at the university. It was to be awarded to those from an ethnic minority, 'limited to those who had specified 'asian' or 'black caribbean / african or asian' on their ucas forms.
I think 'fair enough' I don't really mind 'affirmative action'. However the letter went on to say that 'students of Indian or Pakistani origin would be given priority'. I think this is very unfair indeed. Those of Indian origin are very well represented at the bar and in the junior ranks of the judiciary' - Africans are not.
I think scholarships should be awarded on the basis of financial need only.

Any thoughts?

I'm of white Irish origin for reference.
Reply 1
In fact I do support affirmative action where there is clear evidence of under-representation.
Do you have a link? I know they have this in the US but I didn't know that British universtiies are doing it as well.

AA isn't how we should be solving disproportionate representation, I'm a minority and I don't agree with it.
Reply 3
Depends I guess on where the money is coming from. If its a charity or body (or even a foreign govt itself) that have set up a fund for certain people to attend a university, then I don't see the problem. Carnegie gives money to those with an excellent academic record (and we can't forget about this part either) who are connected to Scotland and have attended a Scottish university. It's a Scottish fund though, so I don't necessarily have a problem with that. If government money or university money that everyone paid into (in the form of taxes or fees) was being disproportionately set aside for people soley on ethnic origin rather than academic ability or ability to pay, then I think it'd be different.
Reply 4
Joy Division
Do you have a link? I know they have this in the US but I didn't know that British universtiies are doing it as well.

AA isn't how we should be solving disproportionate representation, I'm a minority and I don't agree with it.

Its a letter, I just came across it when tidying my room out. I have a feeling other people may have mentioned it on this forum before. I did give serious consideration at ringing up the uni and complaining.

But I'd just end up having a rant at some poor admin assistant.
Reply 5
sulpicia
In fact I do support affirmative action where there is clear evidence of under-representation.

Why? If it just so happens that all the white males have better grades and are better suited to a course, but can't quite afford it, why should they be shunned in favour of a lesser-qualified asian/african? And visa versa?

In my opinion it is not the duty of an academic establishment to have a student-base which represents all the ethnic groups of the world, it is their duty to have a student-base which represents those students who are best suited, academically, to the positions available. Any discrimination outside that is absolutely not on. If they do this, and end up with a good mixture of cultures, then great. If they do this, and end up with a 100% whites, then tough titty, that's the fault of the asian or the african for not being good enough, academically, to secure the position.
Reply 6
sulpicia
I've noticed that quite a few universities have been offering scholarships on grounds of 'ethnic' origin. I have to admit that I have a real problem with these awards.

I'm not talking about say an award made by the Indian Government to offer help to an Indian Passport holder in financial difficulties - I have no problem with that.

A few months ago the University of Warwick sent me a letter offering a scholarship for LLB applicants who took up a place at the university. It was to be awarded to those from an ethnic minority, 'limited to those who had specified 'asian' or 'black caribbean / african or asian' on their ucas forms.
I think 'fair enough' I don't really mind 'affirmative action'. However the letter went on to say that 'students of Indian or Pakistani origin would be given priority'. I think this is very unfair indeed. Those of Indian origin are very well represented at the bar and in the junior ranks of the judiciary' - Africans are not.
I think scholarships should be awarded on the basis of financial need only.

Any thoughts?

I'm of white Irish origin for reference.

Yes, I believe there's one at my uni specifically aimed at Israeli students, and I am whole-heartedly disgusted by it.
Reply 7
Phugoid
Why? If it just so happens that all the white males have better grades and are better suited to a course, but can't quite afford it, why should they be shunned in favour of a lesser-qualified asian/african? And visa versa?

In my opinion it is not the duty of an academic establishment to have a student-base which represents all the ethnic groups of the world, it is their duty to have a student-base which represents those students who are best suited, academically, to the positions available. Any discrimination outside that is absolutely not on.

Ok, but what is your take on low income families. I for one know its considerably harder to get a string of a stars at GCSE and 3/4/5 A grades at A level from a comprehensive where standards are well below the national average than from Eton / nice middle class grammar.
Reply 8
Phugoid
Yes, I believe there's one at my uni specifically aimed at Israeli students, and I am whole-heartedly disgusted by it.

LOL, its only to balance the massive pressure from student politicians to get funded places for Palestinians.
Reply 9
sulpicia
Ok, but what is your take on low income families. I for one know its considerably harder to get a string of a stars at GCSE and 3/4/5 A grades at A level from a comprehensive where standards are well below the national average than from Eton / nice middle class grammar.

Scholarships should be given to those who don't have enough money to go to university, but they should be given on the basis of academic suitability to the course, not on the basis of anything other than that.

I have no sympathy for somebody who uses the excuse of 'but I'm working class, and I go to a state school'. Absolutely none.

I went to a state school. It was free. The teaching quality wasn't great. My parents are far from wealthy, and even today they don't support me past a certain very low threshold, financially. But guess what, I'm at a top uni, I've been the best student in my year every year since I've been here in an extremely difficult subject, etc.

I've seen people from the poorest families doing the same. These were people under extreme pressure from their family to leave school at 16 and go out and get a job to start contributing. But no, they stood their ground, got great grades at school, got into a top uni, secured a scholarship as a result and did well at uni. One guy I know managed this despite the fact that he is his mother's carer, as she is disabled.

So, no. If I see somebody use that excuse, it indicates to me a lack of enthusiasm and drive, and breakdown of spirit in the face of adversity, and that's not somebody who deserves to be funded.

It can be done, it has been done, and anybody who uses the excuse that it 'can't' is spitting in the face of all those students who managed to overcome it on their own terms. Pathetic.
Reply 10
sulpicia
LOL, its only to balance the massive pressure from student politicians to get funded places for Palestinians.

Yes.

I'm disgusted that my university responds to the pressures exerted by these mindless hippies.
Reply 11
There are certain requirements for the scholarship you are talking about. For example I think the household income has to be less than £30000 or something like that. I don't think there's anything wrong with having incentives for under-represented groups. Also the Warwick scholarship isn't directly university funded. Money is donated by alumni of ethnic origin who are primarily Indian and Pakastani.
Reply 12
I think its disgusting. I mean whos ******* country is this ?

african are welcome to go to an african university
I guess it depends on who's money it is. I mean if it was donated by an indian millionaire then i'd expect it to be the case
To be fair 'White Irish' people have faced far more discrimination in Al-UK than people of Subcontinental (Indian/Paqistani origin).

In Bangalore some firms started an 'Affirmative Action for White Applicants' program - which is kind of regarded as a jokey way to copy the West - since most white male applicants are very well qualified and tend to come to Bangalore to work of their own accord.

squish.
I don't think ethnicity is in any way relevant to admissions or any other aspect of uni, so I think schemes like this should be illegal. I hate "positive" discrimination. I was looking on the FCO website and they offer work experience to only ethnic minorities and the disabled :rant:

It's just not right!
Sorry, but can someone provide a source that suggest UK university do that? because, all I read is rants and ancedotal evidence.
No I don't agree with it either.
If you have the brains and the talent then you should go forward, not because you happen to be an ethnic minority.
Such ridiculous schemes should be outlawed. Indeed, I think they do breech the race-relations act, but no-one would question it because it's fitting of the general "bend-over-backwards for ethnic minorities" mindset, that is especially prevalent among students.

Latest

Trending

Trending