Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Hello all

With any luck I'll be at Robinson in a couple of months' time. The college website says that the bandwidth for the room internet connections is limited to:
    - 750 MB per day
    - 4 GB per week
    - 8 GB per month
    ...whichever comes first, but it doesn't give much more information than that.

It's not like I'm planning on downloading the internet or pirating anything, but doing CompSci there are going to be a lot of programs, web resources, PDF documents and suchlike that will chew away at the bandwidth limits fairly quickly if I'm not careful! So if I could use the CUDN to download hefty course stuff it'd be convenient.

So my question is, do such bandwith limits apply to the university network as well as the college room connections?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    According to this, no. (Also, you're probably overestimating the amount being a compsci will increase your usage)

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how I would survive on that bandwidth. I think Johns is 2GB/day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    doing CompSci there are going to be a lot of programs, web resources, PDF documents and suchlike that will chew away at the bandwidth limits fairly quickly if I'm not careful!
    I would disagree. Obviously, there are some things you might need to download, but not that would affect your bandwidth significantly, I don't think. If it did, I'm sure you could make a case to have your limit increased anyway!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Mustardseed)
    I would disagree. Obviously, there are some things you might need to download, but not that would affect your bandwidth significantly, I don't think. If it did, I'm sure you could make a case to have your limit increased anyway!
    That's fair enough then, but I don't know how I'm going to live on 8 GB per month! But if the limits don't apply to the CUDN (or if there are separate limits on top of the room connection), then I'll probably survive on that.

Thanks for your help everyone

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to apply for permission if you need extra bandwidth for course purposes.

For anyone reading the thread hoping to find out BW limits at different colleges, at Christ's it's 1GB/day.

ReputationRep:
    catz has no official limit - but its internet is not of good enough quality that you woul want to signifcantly download anything more than iplayer / spotify anyway

ReputationRep:
    Catz has never stopped anyone i know from downloading at any rate/quantity, and the internet is just fine. It's as quick as internet i've experienced anywhere else in cambridge, and considerably quicker than any i get at home...

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone clarify if the bandwidth limit in Trinity is 3GB/day or 0.375GB/day

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=533

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudone)
    Can anyone clarify if the bandwidth limit in Trinity is 3GB/day or 0.375GB/day

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=533
    I assume they just did the usual thing of screwing up between GB and Gb so it would be 3GB a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Takahashi)
    catz has no official limit - but its internet is not of good enough quality that you woul want to signifcantly download anything more than iplayer / spotify anyway
    Rubbish. It's as fast as anywhere else, and although they block most ports there are ways of downloading things that don't involve torrents.
    And iplayer/4od/spotify/etc. all work.

ReputationRep:
    Being a CompSci is not going to require you to download hundreds of megabytes a day.

There is tons of free software available through MSDN academic licensing (you get a free copy of visual studio 08 pro) but that's all hosted by the computer laboratory so the transfer is a) mega fast and b) doesn't count towards your limits.

ReputationRep:
    :eek2:

Anyone know what the Corpus limit is? I can't find it on their website?!

ReputationRep:
    From fumblewomble's post, I found this link to corpus: http://computing-info.ucam.org/CorpusChristiCollege

Doesn't say anything about p2p or bandwidth restrictions, all the others do. What does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    From fumblewomble's post, I found this link to corpus: http://computing-info.ucam.org/CorpusChristiCollege

Doesn't say anything about p2p or bandwidth restrictions, all the others do. What does that mean?
    it means they encourage you to download illegally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    All I can say is that on the TSR Corpus wiki it says As far as I know there are no limitations on the amount of data you can download/etc (as opposed to some other colleges that have bandwidth/data limits), but I could be wrong. . That was presumably written by someone in Corpus. Try asking in the Corpus thread.
    I will, I've already asked at the FB group. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    it means they encourage you to download illegally.

ReputationRep:
    Damn it. I almost applied to Corpus. :P Sadly, at Sidney it's 300mb a day. That's going to be harsh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikru)
    Damn it. I almost applied to Corpus. :P Sadly, at Sidney it's 300mb a day. That's going to be harsh!
    No surely it can't be... that's ridiculous!

What you do if you're smart is get a room near to a communal area with Lapwing (university Wi-Fi service), and use that from your room whenever you want to download / stream something big. It's also useful if your college has a tedious approval system for connecting student computers to the college network, as it means you can get online before anyone else. I know several people who spend evenings in the library just so they can watch movies online through Lapwing, because they haven't yet put limits on Lapwing data transfer.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.