Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having a drink/breathing when running Watch

ReputationRep:
    One of the big problems I'm having when trying to hit my targets is that when I feel the need to have some water and subsequently drink some, I lose my rhythm and get out of breath straight away.

Is there a proper way to be doing this? Should I slow down to drink? Or is it all to do with fitness levels that I'll eventually get to?

ReputationRep:
    This is a good article:
    http://www.runnerssole.com/drinking.htm

Most importantly, though - if you're only running for an hour or so, you shouldn't need to drink while running - unless it's a scorching day. Drinking before you feel thirsty, and generally drinking before your run, should help you.

ReputationRep:
    Ipod on, Bach full volume, distracts from the need to drink

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I tend to do the same- drink before and after running. But if I'm going on a long run then I would just have little sips of water instead of taking massive gulps as that helps me to maintain my rhythm.

ReputationRep:
    As has been said, short runs shouldn't need a drink. The flipside to this is that if you are running long (you haven't mentioned distance), you do need to, so that being the case, I would suggest trying to focus on the rhythm of your run. I use my footfalls, I breathe in over the course of two steps, and out over the next two steps, to try and regulate the speed at which you are breathing. If you take a slightly larger breath before and after taking a swig of water (and only take a small swig at a time), you might find you have less need to break rhythm?

ReputationRep:
    I'm only on short duration targets atm (under 15m) so the need to drink shouldn't even be present. Thanks so far guys, I'll be sure to top up before I start.

More advice welcome ofc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    I'm only on short duration targets atm (under 15m) so the need to drink shouldn't even be present. Thanks so far guys, I'll be sure to top up before I start.

More advice welcome ofc
    As I just said in another thread... drink well in advance. No fluids in the 45 mins to 1 hour before you run, else it might not be thirst that's persuading you to stop!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.