Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Visiting London - Oyster Card help please?? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm visiting my friend in London today, my train arrives in Paddington at 18.30 and I'll have to take the circle line to Victoria station to meet my friend. Also we're planning on going out tomorrow on buses/tubes and then I will need to take the tube again to get back to Paddington on Sunday (as well as possibly going out in the day).

Now I was thinking an oyster card would be my cheapest option - but should I get the proper oyster card and top up with £10 (total £13) for the whole weekend, or should I just get the vistor oyster card with £10 (total £12). Also, will I be able to buy either of these at Paddington tube station? I imagine so but I'd just like some definite answers, lol.

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    You will be able to buy those tickets at Paddington, as most of the major rail interchanges have Underground ticket offices.
    I'm not too sure if there's a difference between the two oyster tickets; aside from being unable to purchase a travel-card on the visitor one.

Also, if you have a young persons railcard, ask to have it linked to the oyster card as it reduces the amount that you need to spend to hit the daily limit.

ReputationRep:
    London buses are a better option than the tube if you want to actually see London
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    visitor oyster card? :mute:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You can use the oyster card on buses though?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    You can use the oyster card on buses though?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd think you probably could get an Oyster card at Paddington, when my bf came down he got the train to Kings Cross and we got him one at the underground station there. Just get a normal Oyster card.

ReputationRep:
    No point in getting a visitor card - get the proper one and you can give it back and get the £3 deposit back when you finish.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan, thanks guys. I will have to try and remember to rep you over the next few days. I'm gonna get the proper oyster and top it up with £5 today, and more tomorrow if I need it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.