Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are a couple of threads on this but they're all pretty old, so basically:

1) Are you "allowed" to get a job? I've heard mixed things - does it differ between courses/colleges?

2) Do you have time to get a job?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You aren't allowed a job during term time (although I have heard some people do manage to hold one down in secret). That is all I know...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The simple answer to both questions is no.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got too much time on your hands, consider volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    at Clare you could work behind the bar as well, and you'd easily have enough time for a part-time job

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't afford to live if I didn't have a job!

I'm not going to Cambridge though...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've never understood how lots of students from average/low income families cope if they're 'not allowed' to work. I'm at KCL and once my rent's paid etc I don't have enough money to even eat left from my loan so have to work. I wish I didn't though, especially now going into third year!

ReputationRep:
    You'd almost certainly have enough time. Plenty of people do other activities which are equally time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    What about playing football? Like, at a decent enough level, like In two years I could see myself getting paid £50-100 a week, It's not much, but would that count as a job?

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't it depend on what degree you do, as some degree's have more lecture/lab time than others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    wouldn't it depend on what degree you do, as some degree's have more lecture/lab time than others?
    Yeah, it would be harder as a scientist.

I know people who have flexible, free-lance jobs, like translation or graphic design. They did not tell their colleges, but I don't think the college would have had a problem with it as it did not affect their results and it was also something they enjoyed doing. It's not like you're forbidden to make any money, don't worry... They just don't want people having to work part-time at Sainsbury's throughout the whole year.

There are opportunities to work in Cambridge during the vacations ( both long and short) too. Two examples that come to mind are phone fundraising of your college's alumni and working for one of the billion summer English courses in Cambridge.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Sugar_Puff_Fairy)
    Yeah I've never understood how lots of students from average/low income families cope if they're 'not allowed' to work. I'm at KCL and once my rent's paid etc I don't have enough money to even eat left from my loan so have to work. I wish I didn't though, especially now going into third year!
    They throw money at you so you don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be gettting a lot more money at Cambridge (if I get the results) than any othe runiversity I looked at. Their full bursary per year is almost £3000 if you qualify for it and I'e heard they can be quite generous outside of the bursary if times get hard for those with higher incomes. You're also trying to fit into 8 weeks what other universities fit into 12 so the time for a job doesn't look good. I understand why they do it as at sixth form people started taking on extra time in their job in order to make more money and neglect their work as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prudentstudent)
    There are a couple of threads on this but they're all pretty old, so basically:

1) Are you "allowed" to get a job? I've heard mixed things - does it differ between courses/colleges?

2) Do you have time to get a job?

Thank you
    1) It differs from college to college. Some allow you to work in the bar. Some allow any work. Some don't allow any work at all. Beyond bar work, I don't know many people who had part time jobs though.

2) Yes. Given people who row or act or whatever spend many, many hours a week pursuing their hobby, a part time job is nothing. Unfortunately, you might then struggle to also accommodate the wealth of opportunity offered to you. If you're short of money, they give out bursaries (and hardship grants that are for short term financial problems). People only say you don't have time to work because they spend so much time doing other stuff. Doing other stuff stops you going insane though (a job would like be a part time job on top of a full time job). Also, I don't know how many employers would take you on for eight or nine weeks.

ReputationRep:
    its up to you if you have a job and it can be fitted around your studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    What about playing football? Like, at a decent enough level, like In two years I could see myself getting paid £50-100 a week, It's not much, but would that count as a job?
    You'd be fine with football. So long as you played cuppers for your college too. Fellows are, by and large, work-shy; in a life of academia to avoid getting a job. They see jobs as essentially prostitution and would prefer that students spent their free time drinking and/or playing sport for the college. The regulation is a moral stance against the terrible evils of paid employment.

Incidentally, there are two part time clubs in the Cambridge area.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how they view someone taking freelance design jobs? Does it compare to a normal part time job, and would they ever know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratocaster)
    Does anyone know how they view someone taking freelance design jobs? Does it compare to a normal part time job, and would they ever know?
    They would never know. College life isn't like being and school and you will never have someone checking up on where you are or what you are doing. As long as you didn't start skipping supervisions/ not completing your work to a high standard then they would never find out. You are free to do whatever you want in your spare time.

You do alot of work at Cambridge but there is still a considerable amount of time to do other things. If you wanted to do some freelance work then I really can't see it being an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donaldduck)
    They would never know. College life isn't like being and school and you will never have someone checking up on where you are or what you are doing. As long as you didn't start skipping supervisions/ not completing your work to a high standard then they would never find out. You are free to do whatever you want in your spare time.

You do alot of work at Cambridge but there is still a considerable amount of time to do other things. If you wanted to do some freelance work then I really can't see it being an issue.
    Aye, that's exactly what I assumed really. Thanks a bunch for replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    I've got a friend who refs at the weekends and occasionally during the weeks to earn money, and the college don't have a problem with that so you'll be fine...

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.