Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZZNj_I4gZb...00-h/clare.jpg

I have naturally quite thick wavy hair, but am looking for some advice to get it to look like the picture above. My hair tends to get quite frizzy at the roots especially when I cant brush through it because I have curled it. How do I get it so neat, but not fake ringlet curls?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started using the John Frieda frizz ease collection (shampoo, conditioner, serum & spray) for curly hair - that's useful for tackling frizz!

(http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/20_54.asp)

ReputationRep:
    i have the same problem as you with curly/frizzy hair
    but im looking for ways to calm the frizz
    and yeah, john frieda is good but apparently it leaves my hair looking greasy
    so i stopped that
    aussie miracle moist did make my hair a bit more managable

im sorry i cant offer anything else
    ill just be listening to what everyone else says :o:

ReputationRep:
    boots curl creme....seriously the best stuff around! (its in a tub and pink)
    and a diffuser is best to dry your hair (less frizz)

Redken curl boost is good to use when your hair is wet before you diffuse, spray it on then when your hair is dry scrunch it out!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/ the bible

ReputationRep:
    i have shorter hair so my curls are more tighter than in the picture and there is less weight in the curls so the curls are a lot more defined.

I use Umberto Giannini - Curl Friends hair shampoo and conditioner from boots, they normally have a bogof offer on or 3 for 2, which can be quite expensive as shampoo and conditioner goes, but anything really that gives your hair moisture - i to found that the frizz ease products made my hair greasy- they're ideal for when you're straightening though as the moisture is still left in your hair afterwards leaving your hair sleek and the frizz doesn't return until your hair get's wet.

But to get to my real point i'd suggest Umberto Giannini Slirty Curls Scrunching Jelly - i put that in my hair when soaking wet and then use a diffuser on my hairdryer. For loads more volume dry it with your head upside down.

Hope that helps xx

ReputationRep:
    Wash your hair using a de-frizzer and use a serum afterwards.
    While your hair is still wet split your hair into to sections and tie your hair up in 2 buns (like the star wars lady)
    Leave to dry on its own
    Once you think it is dry spray with hairspray and leave for about 10 minutes
    Undo the buns and there you have tousled/ curly hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ofmontreal_Lottie)
    i have shorter hair so my curls are more tighter than in the picture and there is less weight in the curls so the curls are a lot more defined.
    Haha I have mid-back length curly hair /ringlets, and it gets tighter as it gets longer =\ Mine's the opposite to yours; mine gets less defined, the shorter it is!

Anyway, OP, I use any Pantene leave in conditioners that I can find - they all work for me. I don't use sprays or mousses because in me experience, that just makes my hair more frizzy rather than less.

I comb mine when I've just come out the shower, so it's wet (not just slightly damp). Then I leave it to dry naturally and when it becomes semi dry/damp, I put my leave-in cream in and let it dry fully. It might not work on your hair, but it's worth a shot!

ReputationRep:
    I swear by olive oil!!! Ive tried ALL the products above on my very very thick hair and even more expensive ones like kerastase and olive oil has been the best by far. the cheapest and it doesnt have all teh horrible chemicals in it. just work out the right volume so it looks glossy and not greasy.

ReputationRep:
    My friend naturally has wavy hair, but when its damp (after brushing it to avoid frizz!)she twists her hair and it dries in natural wringletty type curls, they look really nice and you can tell its not been done by ghds etc :-)
    Might be worth a ****

ReputationRep:
    i meant worth a shot!
    haha

ReputationRep:
    ive used loads of different products on my hair over the years so im quite the expert on curly hair haha. the first thing is dont use loads and loads of products on your hair, this can make it look really mucky and heavy.

use john frieda products. its annoying that its not non-animal tested but its the best thing that works.

start by washing your hair in the shower, with conditioner on. try not to separate it into 2 sections, ie parting at the back. if you do, just before getting out of the shower brush the back so there's no parting.

whilst still wet, smooth some john frieda serum through your hair. about 5 pumps 3 times will do. don't put too much on the top, itll make it greasy.

use mousse afterwards. although many people think mousse makes hair quite tangly, when your hair's wet it won't do this. use about 3 pumps of mousse. smooth it through your hair then rub quite a lot between your hands and scrunch from the ends to the roots. on the last pump, gather your hair together and scrunch it all up at the back.

leave your hair to dry naturally.

once dry, or if you can't wait for that, once its almost dry, put into one big plait. ponytails aren't very good, especially if you're going to be sleeping, as your hair rubs together and creates friction, ie frizz.

hopefully this will help! also worth investing in a good comb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealityIsDull)
    boots curl creme....seriously the best stuff around! (its in a tub and pink)
    and a diffuser is best to dry your hair (less frizz)

Redken curl boost is good to use when your hair is wet before you diffuse, spray it on then when your hair is dry scrunch it out!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/ the bible
    Hi I've bought this but i'm not sure what the best way to use it is?

ReputationRep:
    My hair is naturally wavy so I curl it a little more and luckily it holds a curl quite well, and then I use a mousse and some hairspray to keep it nice and curly. Using mousse means I can actually have it curly for more than just one day because I can brush (which makes it go all fuzzy) and then put mousse in it to curl it up again....

To curl it I use rag curling the night before. It makes my hair look like this:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepilachat)
    Hi I've bought this but i'm not sure what the best way to use it is?
    I scrunch it in just after i have washed my hair (so my hair is still wet) and then blow dry it with a diffuser (with my head upside down to help the curls)

It'll be quite crunchy once its dried and then its just a case of quickly scrunching it out and it makes lovely soft (non frizz) curls

ReputationRep:
    Definetly try L'oreal Elvive's Ultra Gloss (I think) its the ALL pink bottle. It did wonders for my haystack and is the only thing that's worked.

Also, stick to airdrying. Even if it means you have to wear plaits to bed till it dries then you talk it out the next morning.

HEAT = FRIZZ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    Wash your hair using a de-frizzer and use a serum afterwards.
    While your hair is still wet split your hair into to sections and tie your hair up in 2 buns (like the star wars lady)
    Leave to dry on its own
    Once you think it is dry spray with hairspray and leave for about 10 minutes
    Undo the buns and there you have tousled/ curly hair
    That's exactly what I do.. there was me thinking I was the only one! Doing it this way takes quite a while to dry though.

OP, it's best to comb (not brush) curly hair and don't style it or touch it too much whilst it's dry.. that just turns your hair into a frizzy bush =/

And the Frieda collection is just awesome, for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealityIsDull)
    I scrunch it in just after i have washed my hair (so my hair is still wet) and then blow dry it with a diffuser (with my head upside down to help the curls)

It'll be quite crunchy once its dried and then its just a case of quickly scrunching it out and it makes lovely soft (non frizz) curls
    yupp ive used that!! it does work for me when i want really curly curls.

NEVER EVER brush!!!! finger comb and scrunch only!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.