Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go into a relationship just before uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone here consider getting involved in a relationship if both people liked each other but were going off to different universities?

Do you think it would work out?

Any feedback would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying it's a bad idea, but stupidly enough I am getting myself into this very situation and just can't take my own advice

Depends on a lot of things; are you both very up for it? How far away is it? Are you the kind of person that could work well in a long distance relationship (e.g. if you're really paranoid, or conversely really easily tempted, it's probably not for you). Have you known each other for a long time? Could go on and on.

ReputationRep:
    It could work.. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Me and my girlfriend had planned to split up just before uni, but unfortunately it ended recently. You could try it.. However, it might cause a bit of emotional pain if it falls apart I guess..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's so many questions. See we don't know each other that well. I just thought uni is coming up so soon and if we really like each other why not give it a chance but i dont know that many people that have done that successfully, hence why im unsure.

Thank you anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Well as long as you both know it has a minuscule chance of working out long term and are fine with that, then go for it..

Which unis/distance?

ReputationRep:
    if it wants to work then it will work
    but generally i say its better to stay single
    i split up with my bf a few weeks ago now, and after talking about it with people, im thinking its for the best because now i can start university next month and enjoy it to the full without having to feel 'tied down' as such

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Star*)
    It could work.. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Me and my girlfriend had planned to split up just before uni, but unfortunately it ended recently. You could try it.. However, it might cause a bit of emotional pain if it falls apart I guess..
    The very same thing happened to me the other week =\

But OP, it could work. Depends how long distance the relationship is, and if you are ok with not seeing her all that much due to this. I personally wouldn't though.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same thing before I went to uni. My gf was staying at home, and I was going to Lancaster (so like 4 hour drive). and I ended it just before I went to uni, as I did not want to be always coming home to see her and didn't want to ruin my first year experience because I missed someone at home. But I have always been independant and always wanted to move away from home and in effect "start again" at uni. So this worked for me, but obviously it depends on your thoughts and feelings and the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't. Getting into a long distance relationship is all well and good if it's a relationship that's been around for a while, but it's much harder to make it work for a fledgling relationship. If you start dating now, you'll probably be in that first 'getting to know each other' phase by the time you leave for uni. It's a bit of an awkward time to be split up for the next 3 months and I don't think it's particularly worth it, unless you're already really good friends and can go straight to the settled couple-ness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Personally, I wouldn't. Getting into a long distance relationship is all well and good if it's a relationship that's been around for a while, but it's much harder to make it work for a fledgling relationship. If you start dating now, you'll probably be in that first 'getting to know each other' phase by the time you leave for uni. It's a bit of an awkward time to be split up for the next 3 months and I don't think it's particularly worth it, unless you're already really good friends and can go straight to the settled couple-ness.
    I'd say this ^

ReputationRep:
    Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Still no

LDRs rarely work...except the other meaning, if you get what I mean :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Sex on tap for a short period of time is better than no sex at all.

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself this, OP, would it be stupid to get into a relationship (or attempt to) with a girl before returning home to the other side of the world!?

Food for thought. I think that answers your question. Sure there's plenty of wonderful people at your uni to be. Sorry to be brash, but sometimes you've gotta tell it like it is. Unless you're madder than a kangaroo with an arse full of smarties, I would say... no. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    i don't think a new relationship could handle the distance

although me and my boyfriend certainly aren't splitting up before uni, we're gunna be 180 miles away...but were strong :p: and we're both looking forward to the visits

ReputationRep:
    I think I would try to avoid it to be honest, but if it was some amazing guy that I couldn't bare to say no to, then yeah I guess I might give it a try. My brother made it work anyway.

ReputationRep:
    no would have to be at least 3 months before uni

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any problem with it. If it is meant to be, you will make it work. If its not, it will run its due course. Think about all the married couples of which one half are in the armed forces. They manage to make it work. And going to Uni, there's no chance you'll be getting killed, unless you piss off a potential psycopath but we won't get onto that right now...

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where the both of you are going to uni tbh. If its fairly close (within an hour say), I'd say you'd be pretty stupid not to give it a go tbh. Same goes for people who break up to go to uni, I just think when people do that, their just trying to find an excuse to be single.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Still no

LDRs rarely work...except the other meaning, if you get what I mean :awesome:
    In my experience Light Dependant Resistors work rather well!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.