Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go into a relationship just before uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation and i have chosen not too, also because I can be easily tempted when drunk and i wouldnt want to hurt them. it really depends on how much u like them and how much devotion and time you can give them. if u know 100% that u wouldnt be tempted, ull be faithful and that you trust the other then i say give it a go, however for people our age, that is unlikely to happen especially as uni is a completely different, new and exciting experience where we meet loads of new people. I know people who have gone to uni in deep long term relationships and its very rocky and have eventually split

ReputationRep:
    I have just done this, purely because I don't want any regrets. We've known each other for a while, but started dating about a month or so ago; we've been official for only a week. I don't know where we will be in a month or so's time, it might work and it might not but better than having had nothing at all and wondering 'what if?'
    I'm going to a uni 4 hours away and I can't see a long distance relationship working (we'd only see each other once a month at most) but why not just enjoy each other now while you can?
    OP if you like each other go for it, as long as you both know the likelihood of it not working out long-term.

ReputationRep:
    I only would if they were going to another London uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flexo)
    I'm in the same situation and i have chosen not too, also because I can be easily tempted when drunk and i wouldnt want to hurt them. it really depends on how much u like them and how much devotion and time you can give them. if u know 100% that u wouldnt be tempted, ull be faithful and that you trust the other then i say give it a go, however for people our age, that is unlikely to happen especially as uni is a completely different, new and exciting experience where we meet loads of new people. I know people who have gone to uni in deep long term relationships and its very rocky and have eventually split
    If I was in that situation, I would rather have known we tried and it didn't work, than to break up beforehand and wonder "what if".

Meeting knew people etc doesn't mean you're going to cheat unless you're a **** (both guys and girls) or you don't care about your partner (in which case why are you with them anyway).

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    If I was in that situation, I would rather have known we tried and it didn't work, than to break up beforehand and wonder "what if".
    I wish I'd have done that 3 years ago.
    I still like her now and it's hanged over me for all my time at uni since I just couldn't forget her or didn't want anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt i dont think it would work out, personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shellybelly)
    Would anyone here consider getting involved in a relationship if both people liked each other but were going off to different universities?

Do you think it would work out?

Any feedback would be helpful.
    Go for it... Follow your heart....

If it works, fantastic.
    If it fails, at least you tried

ReputationRep:
    you never know when you are going to meet the right person... my first year in university was insane: top university-aspiring investment banker-extramathsmodules made an incredibly bad combination. I had a few flings, hooked up with some girls in clubs, but didn't meet anyone I liked that much because I simply did not have time.

This was very depressing, however it did not bother me that much.

If it feels right now then go for it and don't think about the consequences - I spent a lot of time in my first term very confused over my ex girlfriend and wondering 'what if' we had kept it up.

I can't say I have any regrets over ending it with her but had it been another girl who was more special then it would have been a real shame to have ended it just to go to university and have a really tough year.

It's also nice to have a separate lovelife from university life sometimes: one of the girls I was seeing in university was seriously annoying because she insisted on seeing me constantly, on her terms - so it would be every day, then suddenly she would have to go randomly and without any warning, which was very annoying and because it's such a close-knit community people can find out what you're doing.

Ideally you will meet a wonderful person at university and most people do this, whether they are the nerdiest nerds who have never kissed another person before, or they got laid all the time in high school.

However I think if you click with someone you should ust go for it whatever the circumstnace.

ReputationRep:
    I am also in a similar position, like loads of people who have posted here.

Ive been considering asking this girl out for ages now as we have chemistry and i know she likes me too. But ive been putting it off because the chances are that we would go out for 2 months max until i left for uni, which i wasnt sure was a very good idea. (shes staying at home not going to uni, 2hrs away from my uni)

But in the last few days, ive just realised that its too late to go out with her now and begin a relationship, as its likely that she would want to continue the relationship long distance, which i wouldnt want to do, as a result we could both end up hurt at the end when i leave for uni.

Anyway, i would think that there are loads of oppourtunities for relationships at uni, and you may not want to feel 'tied down' (as i dont want to) when you get there. Which is why i dont think its a good idea to go into a relationship now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Sex on tap for a short period of time is better than no sex at all.
    ?, what makes you think there's no sex at uni.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    ?, what makes you think there's no sex at uni.... :rolleyes:
    Where did that come from? I'm talking about the time BEFORE uni

ReputationRep:
    If the person was right, I'd certainly consider. If there wasn't much trust in there, I'd be pretty happy to break it off.

ReputationRep:
    I started a relationship in August before going to uni, and it ended in June, just before my finals. So that was a waste of time :p:.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't end a relationship cause of going to uni but I definitely wouldn't start one now, it doesn't give enough time to build up the trust/relationship enough to deal with going to different cities.

Fortunately the guy I like is going to the same uni as me! (hopefully, wow I'll be so glad when results days over and I don't have to add stuff like this to every thing to do with uni).

ReputationRep:
    I would have.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's all about distance really....i mean if you're going to unis that are nto too far apart then its worth a try. but personally i wouldnt go intoa relationship before uni, it's just a lot of effort and i wouldnt want to be with someone then go to uni and find i like someone else...all that drama is just unnecessry. best thing to do would be to leave it for now, if u go to uni and u both still feel u want to be in a relationship with each other then fair enough. but id go in single if i were you. my personal opinion anyway u dont have to agree lol

Anyone who does needs to reasses their priorities in life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.