Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Slimming Down Overweight Dog Watch

ReputationRep:
    Our dog is a wee bit overweight and we're trying to get him to lose about four or five kilos, as he's now ten years old and obviously the healthier he is, the better chance he has at living a longer life. He's always been a very active dog, he's not lazy in that sense, but he's a very big eater!

I'm presuming that animal weight / fat works the same way as human weight / fat, in that if he expends more calories than he consumes then he'll lose weight, and by keeping him exercising this will help the fat shift?

Has anyone managed to make their animal lose weight, and if so how did you do it and how long did it take? Could anyone point me to some useful articles / resources?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You can get weight loss food...Bakers complete does one. Dont give him treats in between meals. Reduce meal sizes. Its basically the same as for us. You'll see a change if youre serious about it within a few weeks...

ReputationRep:
    I have a labrador, and as you probably know they are very easy dogs to get fat as they are so greedy. But the good thing is that it is far easier to get a dog to lose weight than it is a human as you control the diet completely and they can do nothing about it . you could change the food you use to a diet version, we use bakers weight control. I don't know what type of dog you have but if it is medium sized then just give him a bowl full of it in morning and in evening and keep him/her off the snacks. If you are firm and continue to do this, and assuming you give regular exercise it shouldn't be a problem to lose some of the extra weight.

ReputationRep:
    Just found out how much he's supposed to eat per day and stick to it. If he usually eats a lot more then decrease it gradually. Ensure that he doesn't have many snacks or treats each day. One or two is fine. Not like 10 just because you've got food left over or wana make him do tricks :rolleyes:

Make sure he gets walked for about 1 hour at least once a day.

I think these are standard guidelines when it comes to dogs but it depends on the breed and size too

What breed is he?

ReputationRep:
    He's a dalmatian. The average recommended weight for his breed is 27kgs, but he's a larger than average dally. The vet says that ideally he should be about 33-34kgs and he's about 38kgs the now.

Cheers for the replies so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazcobain)
    He's a dalmatian. The average recommended weight for his breed is 27kgs, but he's a larger than average dally. The vet says that ideally he should be about 33-34kgs and he's about 38kgs the now.

Cheers for the replies so far!
    If you feed your dog bakers, or are tempted to feed your dog bakers, don't. It's the worst food for making dogs fat, and having worked in a veterinary hospital for 3 and a half years, I can tell you that not one of the dogs I've seen who was on bakers was a healthy weight.

The best way to help with weightloss is to weigh out the amount that your dog should be having each day, and not giving any other food/treats whatsoever. Also, increasing exercise will obviously help, and if your dog is quite active anyway he'll relish the opportunity to do a bit more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.