Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi there was wondering if you could help im going to be starting a biochemistry degree and QMUL in september and i was wondering if you could tell me the kinds of areas and books that i should be looking at just to help make the start of the course easier for me

any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hey, well in sept i'll be starting my 2nd yr at QM doing biomedical sci,
    i shared quite a few modules with biochemists so....

tbh you don't actually need to buy any books b4 the your induction where you'll be told what to get. There's a bookshop on campus which is stocked with all the core books n you've got the library which has loads of duplicates etc

Each lecturer at the start of their module gives you a booklist of compulsory/ optional books with their own opinion on what's gonna be best for their course.

Things you will have to buy pretty much at the start of the course are ur qm lab coat, goggles and masteringbio cd rom...but you'll get all that info in the post nearer your induction

this is gonna sound really lame but the best thing you could do b4 starting is to go over A-level stuff...bio, chem n maths (regardless of whether u studied all 3 or not) coz they assume u kno everything bout it! n if it's a lil hazy makes things harder.

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    ok thank you that has deffo given me a starting point thankyou for your advice

ReputationRep:
    hola!

I'm starting my 3rd year of Biochemistry, the modules you're going to do for 1st year are:

Heredity and Gene Action
    Cell Dynamics
    Physical Chemistry for Biologists
    Foundations of Organic Chemistry
    Essential Skills for Biologists
    Organic Functional Group Chemistry
    Kinetics and Coordination Chemistry
    Basic Biochemistry

There are going to be seveal books you'll need, but the most important one (which U would probably need all 3 years of the degree is Biochemistry by Stryer, 6th edition- its realllllly really useful- it was also the main book for another second year module called Metabolic Pathways

for Organic Chemistry units, you will need this book called Organic Chemistry by Clayden, (Johnathan Clayden i think)- i think it was the 7th edition? I'm not sure...
    Dont worry about the books until you start the course though, they may even change the syllabus around abit or recommend another book...

Any other questions, feel free to ask
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honey_Lamb)
    hola!

I'm starting my 3rd year of Biochemistry, the modules you're going to do for 1st year are:

Heredity and Gene Action
    Cell Dynamics
    Basic Biochemistry

There are going to be seveal books you'll need, but the most important one (which U would probably need all 3 years of the degree is Biochemistry by Stryer, 6th edition- its realllllly really useful- it was also the main book for another second year module called Metabolic Pathways

for Organic Chemistry units, you will need this book called Organic Chemistry by Clayden, (Johnathan Clayden i think)- i think it was the 7th edition? I'm not sure...
    Dont worry about the books until you start the course though, they may even change the syllabus around abit or recommend another book...

xxx
    :eek2:

Hello fellow (soon to be) 3rd year! :hi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitzy)
    :eek2:

Hello fellow (soon to be) 3rd year! :hi:
    Hiiii
    I bet we already know each other, I think I know everyone in our Biochemistry class! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hiiii
    I bet we already know each other, I think I know everyone in our Biochemistry class! :p:
    Hmm probably. :p:

Looking forward to next year?

ReputationRep:
    What's biochem like at QM???
    I just got a place on the course for this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitzy)
    Hmm probably. :p:

Looking forward to next year?
    Oh yea I am! so much hard work but I'm ready for it~!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea I am! so much hard work but I'm ready for it~!
    Even Enzyme Catalysis? That module just scares me, Vmax Km etc... are all lost on me. :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitzy)
    Even Enzyme Catalysis? That module just scares me, Vmax Km etc... are all lost on me. :vroam:
    haha i havent really thought that one!! lol i imagine its an extension of metabolic pathways... the disease module im looking forward to that one and im trying to get permission to do cancer biology and cellular pathogencity and blood science... what you doing as the final year project?

ReputationRep:
    haha i havent really thought that one!! lol i imagine its an extension of metabolic pathways... the disease module im looking forward to that one and im trying to get permission to do cancer biology and cellular pathogencity and blood science... what you doing as the final year project?
    I thought cancer biology was restricted to biomed students?
    Well metabolic pathways didn't really go into enzymes minus the practicals, which were a nightmare especially that last one all that pipetting for 2/3 hours straight! For my options I'm just doing endocrine physiology and biochemistry (30% coursework ftw! :coma:) and Neuroscience: from molecules to behaviour. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitzy)
    I thought cancer biology was restricted to biomed students?
    Well metabolic pathways didn't really go into enzymes minus the practicals, which were a nightmare especially that last one all that pipetting for 2/3 hours straight! For my options I'm just doing endocrine physiology and biochemistry (30% coursework ftw! :coma:) and Neuroscience: from molecules to behaviour. :coma:
    hehe im gonna do all that except neuroscience!! i hate anything that involves the word axon, actin or myosin looool
    hehe well i spent the last 3 months pippetting, in one occasion pippetting 12 hours straight :eek: lol so 3 hrs feel like nothing to me now haha lol i was doing my final year project on pathogencity of hiv-1 and hsv-1 and comparing different infected cell lines, so im hoping i can get permission to do it as its relates to my project alot... also i did that pharm chem module- construction of organic molecules even though that was meant to be for pharm chemists.. i like stepping out the norm haha

ReputationRep:
    could someone please tell me how many people would be on a course like biochem at QM?
    I dont have a prospectus...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCRmy28)
    could someone please tell me how many people would be on a course like biochem at QM?
    I dont have a prospectus...
    Afaik about 50 for straight biochemistry.

ReputationRep:
    hehe im gonna do all that except neuroscience!! i hate anything that involves the word axon, actin or myosin looool
    hehe well i spent the last 3 months pippetting, in one occasion pippetting 12 hours straight :eek: lol so 3 hrs feel like nothing to me now haha lol i was doing my final year project on pathogencity of hiv-1 and hsv-1 and comparing different infected cell lines, so im hoping i can get permission to do it as its relates to my project alot... also i did that pharm chem module- construction of organic molecules even though that was meant to be for pharm chemists.. i like stepping out the norm haha
    Another person that doesn't like neuroscience! I don't think many biochemists did that module last year. :emo: I tried to avoid doing any chemistry last year but we had to do chemistry of biological molecules. I did not like that even though the concepts seem simple enough but getting my brain to acknowledge it is another. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    hola!

Heredity and Gene Action
    Cell Dynamics
    Basic Biochemistry

xxx
    thanks so much this is very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Starting this september too.... anyone stayin at Hughes Parry accommodation??

ReputationRep:
    can safely say ive never heard of that im on campus how much does that cost??? is it cheaper???

ReputationRep:
    Hughes Parry is Intercoll. accommodation in Central London.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.