Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Now unsure whether i will get my health clearance for mental health nursing. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure if this is in the right place, if not mods feel free to move.

I'm really worried at the moment. im currently going through health checks for mental health nursing. I've had trouble with mental health in the past, so they decided to write to my psychiatrist (who has replaced upon my last visit - so ive only seen him once). I only see him once every 6 months for 15 mins, and i view myself as recovered. I spoke to him about mental health nursing and he seemed very assuring that my difficulties wouldnt stop me getting into the feild. 5 months ago (my last appointment, he said hed consider discharge on my next appointment, sept).
    So when i had my interview at occupational health i told them all this, including the discharge bit.
    Today i recieved my copy of the letter my psychatist has sent. I feel like crying. It gives the impression that i wasnt complient with treatment as i stopped taking medication (this was dicsussed with the doctor i had before this one over 18 months ago!). It says i was diagnosed with emotional unstable personality disorder, impulsive type. This gives the impression im prone to angry and violent outbursts (not the type of behaviour your looking for in a nurse...) - i wouldnt say boo to a fly, and have never been violent in my life! As far as i was aware, there was talk of a borderline type about 3 years ago, and nothing more came from it. Regarding prognosis, he mentions nothing about him saying i would be fit for discharge in september. He says ' it is hard to predict the outcome of disorders of this type'. He doesnt mention i havent self harmed in two years, just says, 'there has been a reported decrease in self harming behaviour'. He also doesnt mention my recover from bulimia, but leaves it open ended like i still suffer from it.
    This is my future! If i was the occupational health, id be hesitant to take me on after reading this report.
    I'm just really upset and worried i wont get onto the course. I feel like all my hard work into recovery hasnt been recognised.
    If i go to the occupational health and tell them what ive wrote here, theyre not going to believe me. Theyll take my psychatrists word over mine.
    Its not 100% theyre not going to give me health clearance, but im alot less sure now.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a thought, could you ask your GP for a letter to send to OH as well? I'm just thinking that generally you see a lot more of GPs than psychiatrists, or do you have a CPN who could write a letter to explain things better? Sounds like your psychiatrist didn't read his notes properly, i'm sure he's not doing it to be malicious but you're right, it's your future so i really hope you can get this all cleared up...

I imagine you're feeling pretty upset and let down right now, and it's easy to forget how ill you were when you're better, do you think that maybe you're shocked to see it all written down and feel angry? Try and speak to your psychiatrist about this, as for clarification, reasons behind what is written, and challenge what has been there- but also realise they do need to be professional and honest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position to you. I had mental health problems, but I had a very nice GP who worded it in as positive a light as possible on my Occupational Health forms. Then I had to go for an interview with a doctor at the University, and he wanted a further more detailed report from my Psychiatrist. Luckily I managed to convince him that I was stable, and talked him into simply requesting a statement on how my mental health is now from my GP rather than my psychiatrist.

I assume you requested to see the report before it was sent to them if you were able to read it? Is there any way you could get a report from your GP instead / as well?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that I don't know enough to help you, but I don't think all hope is lost. My friend got into university to do nursing after just coming out of an eating disorders treatment centre, she just had to agree to regular checkups with the OH nurse. I think the fact that you only have check ups every 6 months speaks for itself, if you were having crazed violent rages you'd be seeing the psychiatrist a lot more regularly than that Also, experience of mental health problems isn't necessarily a bad thing in a lot of people's eyes, it shows you understand what the patients are going through.
    Best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.