Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got an e-mail from St Andrews saying that I'll be in John Burnet Annexe next year. I actually wanted to be in New Hall, as I wanted to be around lots of people and be really sociable. How is John Burnet? How far away is it from the arts building, town, the other halls etc? Anyone who's stayed there for the past year? What did you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't actually stay in JB last year, but I stayed there for a week for the Sutton Trust summer school a few years back. It's a nice hall, the annexe is pretty new, and I think all the rooms are ensuite (?). John Burnett is not too far from New Hall but it is actually much nearer the centre of town. It's also the nearest hall to West Sands i think which is nice, and think some rooms have a view over the beach! It not far from New Hall and McIntosh and some of the other halls in town, and is not too far from the likes of Uni Hall or Melville either. As I said it's closer into town than New Hall, so is closer to the majority of Uni buildings incl. the arts building.
    I enjoyed staying there when I did, it's not far from anywhere and it's nice being so close to the beach as well. I've heard it's a good atmosphere as well! Hope you enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    I didn't actually stay in JB last year, but I stayed there for a week for the Sutton Trust summer school a few years back. It's a nice hall, the annexe is pretty new, and I think all the rooms are ensuite (?). John Burnett is not too far from New Hall but it is actually much nearer the centre of town. It's also the nearest hall to West Sands i think which is nice, and think some rooms have a view over the beach! It not far from New Hall and McIntosh and some of the other halls in town, and is not too far from the likes of Uni Hall or Melville either. As I said it's closer into town than New Hall, so is closer to the majority of Uni buildings incl. the arts building.
    I enjoyed staying there when I did, it's not far from anywhere and it's nice being so close to the beach as well. I've heard it's a good atmosphere as well! Hope you enjoy it
    Thank you for the info! You wouldn't also happen to know if there are any pictures available? There are only like three pictures on the st andrews website. Would be especially interested in what it looks like inside the rooms.

And yes, all rooms are ensuite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaandreaaa)
    Thank you for the info! You wouldn't also happen to know if there are any pictures available? There are only like three pictures on the st andrews website. Would be especially interested in what it looks like inside the rooms.

And yes, all rooms are ensuite
    You're welcome

Hmm...I have pictures of the room I stayed in in the main John Burnet building, but that will be nothing like the Annexe rooms... I've had a wee look on facebook groups, and there doesn't seem to be any pictures on there either... and there's nothing really on the Sinner either.
    I'll keep a look out though, and let you know if I see anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    You're welcome

Hmm...I have pictures of the room I stayed in in the main John Burnet building, but that will be nothing like the Annexe rooms... I've had a wee look on facebook groups, and there doesn't seem to be any pictures on there either... and there's nothing really on the Sinner either.
    I'll keep a look out though, and let you know if I see anything!
    Thanks

I was also wondering one more thing; is the annex considered a part of John Burnet Hall? Like, when there are hall parties, will people from the annex be invited? Or is everything just considered to be John Burnet?

ReputationRep:
    I'm staying in the main hall for this year, and as far as I know, the annexe guys are included in all the hall activities, and they are literally right next door to the main building. I had a couple of friends who were in the annexe last year who said that when they got bored in the annexe they would just pop over to the main hall and either hang out in the games room or the foyer, or a friend's room, whatever really. Don't worry about it not being sociable, John Burnet has a reputation for being really close knit where everyone knows everyone, I'm 99% sure that you'll share meal times with the main hall people, and its known for having quite a party atmosphere. I'm sure we'll have a great time!

As for location, its definitely one of the best. One of the reasons I choose John Burnet for my 2nd year, after having stayed in DRA for my first, was because of its great location, its a 7-10 minute walk up North Street for the Arts buildings, only about 5 mins (if that!) to the Science buildings, a minute to the west sands (you just have to cross the old course and you're there), 5 minutes to Tesco and Starbucks (very important!), but the most important one for me, you're only 8-10 mins away from the golf practice centre! Its really very close to New Hall and McIntosh so very easy to visit friends, and Uni hall and Sallies wouldn't be more than 10mins. The furthest point for lectures would probably be the Bute, and Albany Park and DRA are about as far out as you'd need to go.

I should point out that, as I said, this will be my first year in John Burnet, so I don't know any real specifics about the hall in terms of layout or stuff like that, I never got to see the annexe rooms, but I know they're all pretty new. The walking times I worked out last year, so you can trust me on those!

Sophie_c, you don't happen to have those pictures do you?! I've seen a couple of rooms within the hall but apparently they differ quite a bit, certainly the rooms I saw were quite different, so I would very much appreciate a look if you still have them! (And if you can remember the room number as well that would be great!), thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wasps26)
    I'm staying in the main hall for this year, and as far as I know, the annexe guys are included in all the hall activities, and they are literally right next door to the main building. I had a couple of friends who were in the annexe last year who said that when they got bored in the annexe they would just pop over to the main hall and either hang out in the games room or the foyer, or a friend's room, whatever really. Don't worry about it not being sociable, John Burnet has a reputation for being really close knit where everyone knows everyone, I'm 99% sure that you'll share meal times with the main hall people, and its known for having quite a party atmosphere. I'm sure we'll have a great time!

As for location, its definitely one of the best. One of the reasons I choose John Burnet for my 2nd year, after having stayed in DRA for my first, was because of its great location, its a 7-10 minute walk up North Street for the Arts buildings, only about 5 mins (if that!) to the Science buildings, a minute to the west sands (you just have to cross the old course and you're there), 5 minutes to Tesco and Starbucks (very important!), but the most important one for me, you're only 8-10 mins away from the golf practice centre! Its really very close to New Hall and McIntosh so very easy to visit friends, and Uni hall and Sallies wouldn't be more than 10mins. The furthest point for lectures would probably be the Bute, and Albany Park and DRA are about as far out as you'd need to go.

I should point out that, as I said, this will be my first year in John Burnet, so I don't know any real specifics about the hall in terms of layout or stuff like that, I never got to see the annexe rooms, but I know they're all pretty new. The walking times I worked out last year, so you can trust me on those!

Sophie_c, you don't happen to have those pictures do you?! I've seen a couple of rooms within the hall but apparently they differ quite a bit, certainly the rooms I saw were quite different, so I would very much appreciate a look if you still have them! (And if you can remember the room number as well that would be great!), thanks in advance!
    Yehh, I should think the Annexe will just be ane extension to the rest of the hall as Wardlaw is to Uni Hall..same mealtimes, events etc...same hall really, just not linked.

Umm yeh sure, I'll have a wee look for them, I think they're actually on my bros computer (as it was before i got mine), so I'll get them asap! It was a nice room, very near the showers etc, which is always handy! Cept, it didnt have a view at all, just looked over the Annexe

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.