Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    I enjoy slightly Geography lessons more (but lately its been History) but I always get much higher grades in History, so I probably will take History.

And I prefer exams to coursework, and I can just see myself doing terrible in the Geography Coursework, but when I do assignments in History I usually do well.
    Then, go for history

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    In my year, the History people spent ages bragging about their alleged superiority- just for taking History, not even considering their grades. This leads me to believe that maybe History is looked upon more highly? :dontknow:

I did Geography (which you might be able to tell, from my bitter tone).
    If anyone tells you it's all colouring and it's an easier option, they obviously didn't take it.
    There were two pieces of coursework for me (I was with OCR, Avery Hill); one was a massive report on Bristol Docks and the other was two leaflets- one for, and one against windfarms- with a couple of pages to summarise my thoughts about wind power, and consider other types of alternative energy sources.
    The massive report- that really was MASSIVE. I mean, over 20 pages. Had to have photos, maps, graphs, proper statistics with an appendix... it took months (well...)- a lot of research. I don't know what the History coursework was, but they didn't seem to have that much work.

Science is helpful in Geography, because there's a bit of overlap between the two, yeah.

I think the exam for Geography is probably easier though.
    You know exactly what you have to revise, and, as long as you put the work in, you can come out with a good grade. It's just short answer questions, easy.
    The only real problem is case studies. You have to remember examples of Geography happening in the real world (hurricanes, floods, heat waves, landforms, coasts etc.), be able to locate where these events have taken place and give a few statistics.

So yeah, I took Geography.
    I'm not sure if it was easier in terms of content, but I think it is clearer what you need to do to get the grade you want (the boundaries were made clear to us, you just had to give the right answers, not write an essay).
    The only thing is the hella coursework. I mean, it really is quite a lot.
    Then again, the school starts well in advance, so if you're organised, you'll be fine. Even if you're not organised, you can still pull it off (I did it the week before it was due, everyone else spent months on it... still got an A* though).

Look at the courses, go for the one you like best.
    Think about the teacher you're going to have. Teachers make a big difference to your enjoyment of a subject (and maybe even to your grade)

EDIT: Oh, no one really cares about your GCSEs anyway. That doesn't help, but it's true. Think about it in perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to waste 2 years on something I'm going to hate...
    I took Geography at GCSE and the course work starts in the second year. I wrote about 33 pages with statistics adn a lot of writing.
    I stayed up quite late the night before it was supposed to be handed in; about four o'clock in the morning to get up at seven thirty.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    History is much more interesting. Though Geography is piss easy.

ReputationRep:
    I did both: History was interesting, but required mild effort, whilst Geography was unbelievably ******* boring and tedious, but also very very easy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Personally I love Geography and it was my favourite subject, and something I look forward to doing in 6thform in september.

Most people who went to my school and took both humanities all said that History was tedious and the exams were horrible. Not sure which board it was, I know Geography was Edexcel Spec B.

So yea, people who take history are vile heathens. But whichever suits you best :P

ReputationRep:
    Done Geography Avery Hill, yes the coursework was annoyingly long, I think I done close to 30 pages for one part of the coursework. The exams are actually quite general knowledge based as long as you can think on your feet it is a decent exam to sit. I also done Edexcel History which in my opinion was harder than Geography, the coursework is maybe a little easier but there still is alot to do. The exams are alright as long as you can write fast or you will suffer if you don't learn how to structure your timings.

ReputationRep:
    If you are on Edexcel, do Geography. It’s largely human based but isn’t that difficult compared with what I was told about History. A level 6 or whatever could still see you getting A’s in it I’m sure. I’m pretty sure I was only level 6 when I did it. Then again, I’d seriously do what interests you more – Geography isn’t all colouring in, but History does tend to sound more interesting. If I recall the leap from KS3 Geography to GCSE isn’t that massive, but different exam boards do different things.

At GCSE it really doesn’t matter how they look I’d guess, because out of these they are both respected humanities subjects anyway. To be honest I’d drop Business and do both, but that’s just me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into year 10 in September and starting my GCSEs properly (we took 2 science GCSE exams, a maths GCSE exam and a small piece of english GCSE coursework early due to the cancellation of SATs), and we have two weeks at the beginning of year 10 in which we can change any subjects we have chosen if we are not enjoying them or change our minds.

I want to drop music technology for either Geography or History. My options so far are:

Business Studies (My school don't do economics)
    Triple Science
    German
    Music (I want to change for either Geography or History).

I want my subjects to be as strong as possible, and now that I have found out Music has been changed to the Music Technology course, I am extremely motivated to switch Music to History/Geography. I'm sure people would understand why I took Business, because Economics isn't offered at GCSE at my school (it is at A level though!) and this is the closest thing to it.

Anyway, so because of this I want to change to either Geography or History. I enjoy both very much, maybe Geography slightly more although I would still be able to get through both of the courses easily.

My problem is that people say if your better at Science, then you would be better at Geography, and if your better at English, you would be better at History.

My predicted grade for Science is A-A* and in my english coursework I only got a B+.

But my History teacher said I would probably be predicted an A in History if I took it, since he gave me a 7c/7b level in my report. And over the 3 years (and about 9 assessments) in Geography, my highest grade was only ever a 6c, but I rarely enjoyed the assessment tasks.

Is the GCSE Geography much different to KS3 Geography? Because I really only want to get As and A* for my GCSEs (I am going to push myself in English) but I would most likely get a B (and possibly even a C!) if GCSE Geography was anything like KS3 Geography.

However, I would be more likely to get a Higher grade in History, according to my teacher, but I have more interest in Geography. I know this is a personal choice but can someone help me out with what the courses are like? And which one would suit me?

Sorry for this being so long.

Thanks

I did both OCR history and AQA geography... what exam boards are you doing? With History, there is less work, but the exams are harder. Geography had MASSIVE amounts of coursework, me and my friends had ridiculous 80 page folders by the end - though you could do less if you're not as bothered about getting an A*. There is also a lot of content to cover, but you really only have to memorise/use common sense :p:

Geography was interesting though, good for science people (like me). So, weigh up the cons+pros and make a choice.

I have to choose between them for AS level now! I'm going for geography though, more interesting than the history course stuff. Do you think your likely to want to carry them on? If so I would pick the one you think you might, as it's helpful. Goodluck, PM me if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone, considering everything that was said, I have decided on History.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Do history. You'll find that the skills you develop can transfer over into your english and to a lesser extent biology (because there is a lot of explaining to do in the longer answer questions).

For me I was glad to have dropped Geography at the end of year 9 and from what i heard GCSE is dull. History is also looked at more highly by uni's I'd say.

Just my opinion. You're better off with history.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say geography because its more science than english whereas History is more english.

I did both but I dropped History because it was way to english based for me.

Although Geography can be a pain too but then agen I had a **** teacher.

hope this helps :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into year 10 in September and starting my GCSEs properly (we took 2 science GCSE exams, a maths GCSE exam and a small piece of english GCSE coursework early due to the cancellation of SATs), and we have two weeks at the beginning of year 10 in which we can change any subjects we have chosen if we are not enjoying them or change our minds.

I want to drop music technology for either Geography or History. My options so far are:

Business Studies (My school don't do economics)
    Triple Science
    German
    Music (I want to change for either Geography or History).

I want my subjects to be as strong as possible, and now that I have found out Music has been changed to the Music Technology course, I am extremely motivated to switch Music to History/Geography. I'm sure people would understand why I took Business, because Economics isn't offered at GCSE at my school (it is at A level though!) and this is the closest thing to it.

Anyway, so because of this I want to change to either Geography or History. I enjoy both very much, maybe Geography slightly more although I would still be able to get through both of the courses easily.

My problem is that people say if your better at Science, then you would be better at Geography, and if your better at English, you would be better at History.

My predicted grade for Science is A-A* and in my english coursework I only got a B+.

But my History teacher said I would probably be predicted an A in History if I took it, since he gave me a 7c/7b level in my report. And over the 3 years (and about 9 assessments) in Geography, my highest grade was only ever a 6c, but I rarely enjoyed the assessment tasks.

Is the GCSE Geography much different to KS3 Geography? Because I really only want to get As and A* for my GCSEs (I am going to push myself in English) but I would most likely get a B (and possibly even a C!) if GCSE Geography was anything like KS3 Geography.

However, I would be more likely to get a Higher grade in History, according to my teacher, but I have more interest in Geography. I know this is a personal choice but can someone help me out with what the courses are like? And which one would suit me?

Sorry for this being so long.

Thanks
    I thought GCSE Geog was pants.

I got a B without doing anything :dontknow:

We learnt crap like how it rains, what marshes are, what less economically developed countries are like and how the countries who produce bananas end up the poorest part of the chain.

I would definitely NOT think you would struggle (please note I gained generally B's during GCSE's so I'm no bright spark), but it is a bit boring so probably won't encourage you to work hard.

Look up the syllabus for each subject and see which appeals to you

Interest > Easiness :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    history is the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy1395)
    That's really helpful :rolleyes:

Im also going into Year 10, and I picked Buisness Studies, French, and both Geography and History.

Apparently, Geography has a lot of coursework, but I can imangine that History would have a fair amount aswell.

Which one do you prefer OP? Becuase you want to do the one that you will get the most out of, enjoy, and hopefully do well in.

My geography course only has two pieces of coursework. And weve done them both in year 10 already. They're not hard at all. The teacher gives you a sheet basically telling you what to do lmao !.

Just write 2500 words + and you're garunteed a B in coursework

ReputationRep:
    History Defo!

Geography is basically just complicated Colouring with lots of Coursework!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME10)
    History all the way.
    History, Geography is just colouring in.

ReputationRep:
    Geography. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT do a Geography GCSE. You will regret it for the rest of your life and you will wish that you took history. That happened to me and after having dropped History for my GCSEs I am now taking it again for the IB. Seriously Geography is AWFUL!

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy slightly Geography lessons more (but lately its been History) but I always get much higher grades in History, so I probably will take History.

And I prefer exams to coursework, and I can just see myself doing terrible in the Geography Coursework, but when I do assignments in History I usually do well.
    geography coursework is well easy for mine i went to town and made up answers to this survey we had then wrote about my results and i ended up getting an A. you do a few graphs with it and its all good my mate took history and found the coursework so hard and she spent so long doing it and shes like really smart. so geographys better in my opinion

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.