Turn on thread page Beta

Morrissey vs Bowie? watch

• View Poll Results: Morrissey vs Bowie?
    Morrissey
    49.28%
    Bowie
    49.28%
    I don't like either of them
    1.45%

ReputationRep:
    Which one do you prefer? They've both been influential on today's music, and while Bowie perhaps is more critically acclaimed both share similarities in their lyrics and emotions they convey in songs. They also performed a concert together (which Morrissey infamously backed out of, cancelling the tour)

So which one do you prefer. Compare them e.g. lyrics, musically (instrumentally), vocals etc.

And What is your favourite album by each artist.

By Morrissey you may take into account solo and The Smiths

Oh and how do you think Morrissey solo compares to The smiths? Personally I feel morrissey solo is very underrated. Sure he hasn't been as consistent as the smiths, but Vauxhall and I (lyrics in this album are actually better than in the smiths albums in my opinion) , Viva hate are both excellent albums which are of similar standard to the smiths albums. Your Arsenal is pretty good too, albeit a bit weak in terms of lyrics in my opinion.

And do you think Bowie is past his prime?
    Unfortunately I think he is. His 70s stuff was Fantastic and his 80s stuff was still pretty good, but I can't stand any of his 90s stuff. It's a shame.

ReputationRep:
    I like both. I don't think you can really compare them, they are both musical legends and will be immortalised forever.

ReputationRep:
    Bowie for me. Morrissey without Marr would be half the man we know today. /2p

ReputationRep:
    Morrissey, for me. But they're both absolute legends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    Bowie for me. Morrissey without Marr would be half the man we know today. /2p
    Some of morrissey's solo albums are very good. They just take a little bit longer to appreciate. Vocals are actually stronger on the morrissey solo albums too (have you heard First of the Gang to die, it's amazing vocal performance).

I think people don't really give morrissey solo a chance as they're too attached to the smiths. In fact Viva Hate is pretty similar to the Smiths in terms of sound, it just doesn't have marr's guitar in it. Sure Morrissey suffers to some extent without Marr, but that doesn't mean he's crap solo, because he's not really. In fact he's actually not strictly a solo artist, he has a band pretty much like the smiths. And while they haven't even so consistent as Marr, Joyce and rourke, they have aided morrissey to make a couple of good albums and some exceptional songs, e.g. Speedway, Suedehead, Maudlin Street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    Some of morrissey's solo albums are very good. They just take a little bit longer to appreciate. Vocals are actually stronger on the morrissey solo albums too (have you heard First of the Gang to die, it's amazing vocal performance).

I think people don't really give morrissey solo a chance as they're too attached to the smiths. In fact Viva Hate is pretty similar to the Smiths in terms of sound, it just doesn't have marr's guitar in it. Sure Morrissey suffers to some extent without Marr, but that doesn't mean he's crap solo, because he's not really. In fact he's actually not strictly a solo artist, he has a band pretty much like the smiths. And while they haven't even so consistent as Marr, Joyce and rourke, they have aided morrissey to make a couple of good albums and some exceptional songs, e.g. Speedway, Suedehead, Maudlin Street.
    Oh I have V&I, Ringleader, Suedehead and the other recent one whose name escapes me. They're good. I just prefer Bowie. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    it's gotta be bowie.. he's just amazing ! :yes:

i think his lyrics are brilliant and such a wonderfull voice.. i like how diverse his music is..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    Oh I have V&I, Ringleader, Suedehead and the other recent one whose name escapes me. They're good. I just prefer Bowie. :dontknow:
    oh no, I thought you meant Morrissey isn't anything without Marr. My bad.

I can see why one would prefer Bowie though.

The recent ones are you talking about You are the Quarry or Years of Refusal? I hated Years of Refusal, and You are the Quarry I didn't find too great either apart from a few standout tracks. Half great, half rubbish really. People seem to like You are the Quarry though, saying it's his best album, but I don't like it so much.

Viva hate and Your Arsenal are worth getting/listening too though. In fact Mick Ronson produced the album.

What's your favourite Bowie albums. Mines probably The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from mars, and then followed by Hunky Dory. I think in the 70s he was at his peak with albums such as the two I mentioned and Low and Station to Station. Do you like the newer Bowie stuff though. I've tried getting into it, but I don't really seem to be liking much of it.

ReputationRep:
    You Are The Quarry. That's the ticket. Still more for V&I, personally.

ReputationRep:
    People are just voting and not leaving comments. Leave a comment as well as voting! It would be nice to hear what you have to say.

I thought a lot of Morrissey fans are fans of Bowie and vice versa. So it would be a difficult choice for most (which requires detailed reasoning listed in a comment on this thread)...

I can't choose.

ReputationRep:
    Both Morrissey & Bowie are musical genius' but for me, Morrissey is one of the greatest lyricists of our time and can't be beaten. His music is so beautiful, so eloquent. He captures such a range of emotions.

You either love or hate him personality wise, but I don't think you can argue that his music is anything but great.

Obviously he could never capture the whole Smiths thing again, and he hasn't tried to. Alot of his solo work is just as good if not better than The Smiths.

And he seems to be getting better with age. You Are The Quarry is one of his greatest albums IMO. And I really enjoyed Years Of Refusal.

Seeing him for the first time in November, and I can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Bowie, The rise and fall of..., and Hunky Dory simply own anything by either The Smiths or Morrissey in my eyes. Perhaps Bowie is more inconsistent, but at his best he does it better than almost anyone.

The Smiths > Bowie > Morrissey. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    What's your favourite Bowie albums. Mines probably The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from mars, and then followed by Hunky Dory. I think in the 70s he was at his peak with albums such as the two I mentioned and Low and Station to Station. Do you like the newer Bowie stuff though. I've tried getting into it, but I don't really seem to be liking much of it.
    ooh hunky dory is lovely ! i think my favourite has got to be diamond dogs mainly because i think 1984 is a great novel and i like his musical interpretation of it.. shame you couldn't produce the musical..

to be fair i've not heard much of morrissey to make a fair judgement so i'll admit i'm bias..

ReputationRep:
    Both legends. Moz is a pain in the ass for cancelling concerts though.

ReputationRep:
    I voted Bowie, but I've listened to far more of his work than Morrissey.

ReputationRep:
    Morrissey. Bowie hasn't meant anything to music for 25 years. I think Bowie is a legend and a musical genius; but Morrissey is just a persona who nobody is near, and that's evident in his music. He was frontman of one of the most influential and greatest bands ever, and has conducted a 20 year solo career. And still commands a religious-like following. I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will274)
    Bowie, The rise and fall of..., and Hunky Dory simply own anything by either The Smiths or Morrissey in my eyes. Perhaps Bowie is more inconsistent, but at his best he does it better than almost anyone.
    I thought Bowie is more consistent than Morrissey. Morrissey has failed to be constantly consistent over ten years, while Bowie has easily managed that. The problem is that Bowie experiments so much, that he isn't going to release a good album every time, but it increases the chance of releasing a truly great album every once in a while.

I hardly expected Bowie to stay consistent over what has it been, 30-40 years? The only band who's achieved that in my opinion is REM, but even then I don't think REM have ever released anything as good than The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust...

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly haven't heard much Morrissey but Bowie anyday. Earthling and Hours are the newest I have of his and not a fan really, although I love Little Wonder. My favourite albums are the majority vote too, Ziggy and Hunky Dory.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.