Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Morrissey vs Bowie? Watch

• View Poll Results: Morrissey vs Bowie?
    Morrissey
    49.28%
    Bowie
    49.28%
    I don't like either of them
    1.45%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancsmithsfan)
    Morrissey. Bowie hasn't meant anything to music for 25 years. I think Bowie is a legend and a musical genius; but Morrissey is just a persona who nobody is near, and that's evident in his music. He was frontman of one of the most influential and greatest bands ever, and has conducted a 20 year solo career. And still commands a religious-like following. I think
    They both command religious followings. Their fans are perhaps the most dedicated and obsessive fans there are (though scarily some of these muse and radiohead fans could give them a run for their money).

I'm really sad Bowie has gone "bad" in my opinion. I think he's still got the talent in him, but he just hasn't been able to recapture it lately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancsmithsfan)
    Morrissey. Bowie hasn't meant anything to music for 25 years. I think Bowie is a legend and a musical genius; but Morrissey is just a persona who nobody is near, and that's evident in his music. He was frontman of one of the most influential and greatest bands ever, and has conducted a 20 year solo career. And still commands a religious-like following. I think
    Bowie hasn't meant anything to music in 25 years?! Sure, his best days are behind him, but no one can keep the consistency he had in the mid-to-late seventies with Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, The Rise and Fall.. and, for me his best album, Low. Morrissey too has proven that he can't keep up the consistency he had with The Smiths - a band I've never liked but always admired. The difference between them is that Morrissey seems to dine out on his Smiths success - returning to the same old formula of curmudgeonly, quintessentially English and ultimately empty albums. Bowie on the other hand may be a little inconsistent (he's released some epically poor albums), but his variety, invention and innovation sets him apart. IMO obv. Plus, that statement is also a little harsh in that he gives a few 'left field' bands vital coverage with some input. Ie TV On The Radio and Arcade Fire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    Both Morrissey & Bowie are musical genius' but for me, Morrissey is one of the greatest lyricists of our time and can't be beaten. His music is so beautiful, so eloquent. He captures such a range of emotions.

You either love or hate him personality wise, but I don't think you can argue that his music is anything but great.

Obviously he could never capture the whole Smiths thing again, and he hasn't tried to. Alot of his solo work is just as good if not better than The Smiths.

And he seems to be getting better with age. You Are The Quarry is one of his greatest albums IMO. And I really enjoyed Years Of Refusal.

Seeing him for the first time in November, and I can't wait!
    I need to give morrissey's newer albums a few more listens. You are the Quarry for me starts off well, and I enjoy the album, but the last 4 tracks disappoint me, and there is a distinct lack of humility (humility in morrissey's albums is something that I've become accustomed too). All the lazy dykes is one of the worst morrissey songs I've heard. Actually to be honest I quite like You are the Quarry, I just don't think it deserves to be ranked as Morrissey's best album, when I don't really think it encapsulates what he really is (via hate and Vauxhall did that).

Years of Refusal I couldn't stand though. His vocals were awful (in fact it sounds a bit like a live performance, and while it's nice to watch morrissey live, I don't think his vocals in live performances are really up to scratch). For what reasons did you like Years of Refusal. Perhaps I'm just missing it's appeal.

Plus Morrissey really must have had some guts to run the risk of pissing off his whole american audience by the opening track on you are the quarry.
    "In America, It brought you the hamburger,
    Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger
    And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig
    You fat pig, You fat pig"

Very funny :rofl:, but yes slightly mean to American lol.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I voted Bowie.. Although they are not really comparable, artists in their own right - and the music isnt even of a similar style

I love them both and have done since I can remember (I grew up with the smiths and bowie on the record player) but I think bowie is more of an all rounder.

Morrissey is a lyrical genius but musically (instrumental wise) i think he is lacking - this came from johnny marr in the smiths, and i feel is lacking in his solo albums. Also he is very self riteous and this bugs the crap outta me - and occassionally come through in his later lyrics. Yes alot is tongue in cheek but I feel there is an arrogance to him.

Bowie is equal in terms of lyrics, although lacking morrisseys humour, and he tips the balance through decades of devlopment and experimentation; an ability to change his style and evolve (not always for the better, but he hasnt just stuck to the same old thing which i feel morrissey has) and ventures past the "safe" established style. Also i feel he is a better musician all round.

This is not to say i dont love morrissey and his tongue in cheek style

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savahl)
    Ok I voted Bowie.. Although they are not really comparable, artists in their own right - and the music isnt even of a similar style

I love them both and have done since I can remember (I grew up with the smiths and bowie on the record player) but I think bowie is more of an all rounder.

Morrissey is a lyrical genius but musically (instrumental wise) i think he is lacking - this came from johnny marr in the smiths, and i feel is lacking in his solo albums. Also he is very self riteous and this bugs the crap outta me - and occassionally come through in his later lyrics. Yes alot is tongue in cheek but I feel there is an arrogance to him.

Bowie is equal in terms of lyrics, although lacking morrisseys humour, and he tips the balance through decades of devlopment and experimentation; an ability to change his style and evolve (not always for the better, but he hasnt just stuck to the same old thing which i feel morrissey has) and ventures past the "safe" established style. Also i feel he is a better musician all round.

This is not to say i dont love morrissey and his tongue in cheek style
    Morrissey's definitely arrogant, that's what makes him so funny to some extent. Though he's less consumed with self pity these days (which is a bad thing as I feel his best lyrics are come from that) and condemns others more these days (shown by You are the Quarry).

I think you can compare them as Morrissey in some ways is the Bowie of the 80s. Sure he's not as cool as Bowie(even though he probably thinks he is, lol), but they both sing about emotions in songs, and both focus on lyrics (which I feel in todays world people aren't paying as much attention to lyrics which is a great shame). Morrissey's and bowie's songs are some of the most poignant songs I've ever heard. Both are also filled with a certain angst shared by both.
    For example Soul love (which is my favourite Bowie Song) talks about pretty much the same things that Morrissey talks about when he talks about him being unloveable e.g. Maudlin Street.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer listening to Morrissey, but Bowie's image is better/seems cooler as a person.

ReputationRep:
    Bowie. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Morrisey bores me in whatever he does. Bowie however is brilliant. No contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    Morrissey's definitely arrogant, that's what makes him so funny to some extent. Though he's less consumed with self pity these days (which is a bad thing as I feel his best lyrics are come from that) and condemns others more these days (shown by You are the Quarry).
    His judgement and condemnation of others just gets my goat up as it just strikes me as very self riteous - i preferred him when he was self-pitying lol. Alot of his stuff can be taken tongue in cheek, as i say, its just sometimes it just surpasses this into what just strikes me as pure arrogance...

Like i said, I grew up with morrissey and the smiths, I will always prefer the smiths (my mum wanted "Girlfriend in a coma" as her funeral song when she died if my stepdad never proposed lol) probably just because I have alot of childhood memories attached to it - thankfully upon my parents divorce they argued over the LPs so i got them all hahaha original smiths, morrissey, bowie and led zep LPs..best divorce ever.

Anyway I digress - I hear alot less arrogance, and more dry humour in the early morrisey than I did later in his career. And sadly his statement about eating meat being akin to child abuse tarred my image of him forever as a self-riteous bell end. So this may discount my opinion totally as being biased against him due to my personal opinion about the guy rather than soley on musical preference

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Morrissey. His last album was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, they don't seem that comparable to me. I prefer Morrissey though.

ReputationRep:
    Bowie, he's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Completely biased as I am one of those obsessive Morrissey fans. Morrissey ftw!

ReputationRep:
    Ziggy Stardust album is the best thing either of them have produced so it's got to be Bowie!

Although i've pretty much worn out my vinyl copy of The Queen is Dead Morrisey is a legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    The Smiths > Bowie > Morrissey. :yes:
    Ooh, na na :nah:

The Smiths > Morrissey > Bowie :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I thought Bowie is more consistent than Morrissey. Morrissey has failed to be constantly consistent over ten years, while Bowie has easily managed that. The problem is that Bowie experiments so much, that he isn't going to release a good album every time, but it increases the chance of releasing a truly great album every once in a while.

I hardly expected Bowie to stay consistent over what has it been, 30-40 years? The only band who's achieved that in my opinion is REM, but even then I don't think REM have ever released anything as good than The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust...

I fail to see how you can put his latest stuff in the same league as his 70's work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will274)
    I fail to see how you can put his latest stuff in the same league as his 70's work.
    Yeah, perhaps I made a mistake. His 80s stuff isn't that great. The thing is he released like 11 of his albums in 1970s (space oddity in 1969 also pretty good). So basically from 1969-1980 (scary monsters is pretty good too in 1980) he has been consistent and produced good albums.

Morrissey hasn't really. All of the stuff with the smiths yes was incredibly consistent (even the b-side albums louder than bombs and Hatful hollow were very good). Yet Morrissey solo hasn't done that. After Viva Hate (Bona Drag I'm not sure is a proper album), he released kill uncle which is awful. Your Arsenal was very good, and then he released Beethoven was deaf which was also rubbish. Then he released Vauxhall and I which was amazing, and then three truly awful albums before you are the quarry.

Really in my opinion, Morrissey's only good albums (though they are very good) are Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, You are the Quarry, Vauxhall and I. That's 4 albums out of about 10 made. Not great consistency to be fair. And I'm sure if Morrissey continues for another twenty years like Bowie, that ratio of good albums to poor albums will get even worse.

Hence in summary:
    Smiths- Consistent
    Morrissey- Very inconsistent

Bowie would be somewhere in the middle. But Bowie was certainly very consistent in the 70s.

ReputationRep:
    morrissey

ReputationRep:
    The smiths/morrissey over, bowie like bowie but not really got any of his albums maybe i'll get into him in time....

tbh i haven't listened to much of morrisseys solo stuff i like what i have heard, but he does come across as a bit of a **** sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, perhaps I made a mistake. His 80s stuff isn't that great. The thing is he released like 11 of his albums in 1970s (space oddity in 1969 also pretty good). So basically from 1969-1980 (scary monsters is pretty good too in 1980) he has been consistent and produced good albums.

Morrissey hasn't really. All of the stuff with the smiths yes was incredibly consistent (even the b-side albums louder than bombs and Hatful hollow were very good). Yet Morrissey solo hasn't done that. After Viva Hate (Bona Drag I'm not sure is a proper album), he released kill uncle which is awful. Your Arsenal was very good, and then he released Beethoven was deaf which was also rubbish. Then he released Vauxhall and I which was amazing, and then three truly awful albums before you are the quarry.

Really in my opinion, Morrissey's only good albums (though they are very good) are Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, You are the Quarry, Vauxhall and I. That's 4 albums out of about 10 made. Not great consistency to be fair. And I'm sure if Morrissey continues for another twenty years like Bowie, that ratio of good albums to poor albums will get even worse.

Hence in summary:
    Smiths- Consistent
    Morrissey- Very inconsistent

Bowie would be somewhere in the middle. But Bowie was certainly very consistent in the 70s.

morrissey had a great band backing him up during the smiths thats why his solo is more hit and miss, can't get a better partnership then morrissey/marr, i can think of two and three songwriting partners i'd put on their level...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.