The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering Conversion course

Hi everyone,

I have graduated with Bsc Hons in Maths and econ from Warwick (2009) [I got a low 2.2 :frown: ].

I was looking at the possibility of doing a conversion course in Mechanical engineering. I haven't done any science subjects in my A levels. I did Economics, Accounting, Business Studies, Mathematics and English. Can I still do a conversion course? As I want to continue doing family business of steel forging.

How long are conversion courses for, How much do they cost, How useful are they, Which universities offer such courses and Where can I get more information on the same?

Thanks
Whilst I have no experience of conversion courses, the Mech Eng qualification is heavily mathematics based, and your level of qualification in this would stand you in good stead. If it is a family business, is a formal qualification a requirement?
Reply 2
No, its not... actually my father is not an engineer and he started the business... he has been doing it for nearly 22 years now.
I want to expand it further and I believe with a good technical qualification I can do justice to the business and help it reach its full potential.
Reply 3
joy12
No, its not... actually my father is not an engineer and he started the business... he has been doing it for nearly 22 years now.
I want to expand it further and I believe with a good technical qualification I can do justice to the business and help it reach its full potential.

How is the steel industry like in the current economic situation?
Reply 4
as the demand is still low... world steel prices are still down... India is picking up slowly... but it does get affected by world prices... so coz of of low prices... we don't profit as much as we can...if the prices aren't high (if we buy steel when the prices are low)

Latest