Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else taking a video recorder with them to Uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else taking a video recorder with them to Uni?

or am I just a little bit behind?

(I will also be taking a DVD recorder, to transfer all my VHS and Betamax* stuff to an external hard drive)

^^Although with a VHS machine that looks like a Digibox . . .

*I am a lover of 80s electronics

So will I look slightly stupid still using videos while at Uni or does anyone on here use/know another student who still uses videotapes?

ReputationRep:
    Whats a 'videotape'? and whats this 'VHS' device you speak of? :hmmmm:

Only joking

Ya sure why not. Take it with you. In fact, if you put the DVD recorder on top of the VHS player - then it will cancel out any 'raised eyebrows'.

If anyone asks just tell them you're 'retro' and like to roll 'old skool' :cool:

Or just tell them its a HI-FI sound docking station of some sort...or that you have a feeling it might come back in fashion

ReputationRep:
    Well the one snag with placing the DVD player and DVD recorder above the video machines is that I have a Betamax* machine . . . a top-loading (not front-loading) Betamax machine:

*for transferring old adverts to YouTube :P

ReputationRep:
    You're joking right?

Not only are you taking a VHS player....but also a betamax machine?

...and I suppose you're also taking a cassette player and a wind-up radio? Lol just kidding...

Just out of curiosity - have you uploaded many videos? I'd randomly be interested in checking out some old adverts. Whats your youtube channel name? (If you dont mind)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_qwerty)
    You're joking right?

Not only are you taking a VHS player....but also a betamax machine?

...and I suppose you're also taking a cassette player and a wind-up radio? Lol just kidding...

Just out of curiosity - have you uploaded many videos? I'd randomly be interested in checking out some old adverts. Whats your youtube channel name? (If you dont mind)
    I haven't uploaded any . . . yet.

That Betamax machine isn't actually as big as it looks in that picture.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AidanLunn

I'm gunna try and get the few bits of old TV continuity that I have o n VHS uploaded there before I start Uni (namely 3 BBC1 closedowns, a BBC2 open university start-up and some BBC1 continuity from the late 80s)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidanLunn)
    Well the one snag with placing the DVD player and DVD recorder above the video machines is that I have a Betamax* machine . . . a top-loading (not front-loading) Betamax machine:

*for transferring old adverts to YouTube :P
    dont do it, a betamax machine for gods sake? why, oh why oh why would you bother?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ a) Because I like "retro" electronics and b) because I love old adverts and things - and I would like to post them on Tube of You.

And most working Betamax machines are Sanyo decks anyway, so reliability isn't an issue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.