Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    I'm going to be 17 in October and I'd really like to have a decent party to celebrate.
    I've never thought I could actually host a house party before - I've never been that popular and it seemed to be a 'popular crowd' thing, if you know what I mean.
    But I've got a good group of friends and I really want to get them all together and throw a good party.
    Dilemma - I really dont know how to host - ie. what music to play (my taste is wierd) how mush booze to buy, whether my parents should be in or not, how many to invite....
    Maybe I'm being too anal about this
    Help from dedicated party animals would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    get the parents out, get some alcohol and the rest will just fall into place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joloubart)
    Hi all
    I'm going to be 17 in October and I'd really like to have a decent party to celebrate.
    I've never thought I could actually host a house party before - I've never been that popular and it seemed to be a 'popular crowd' thing, if you know what I mean.
    But I've got a good group of friends and I really want to get them all together and throw a good party.
    Dilemma - I really dont know how to host - ie. what music to play (my taste is wierd) how mush booze to buy, whether my parents should be in or not, how many to invite....

Thanks
    x
    Pro-tip: Don't advertise it on Facebook...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, my two cents:

Music: get an ipod dock and let people muck around and play what they like, OR assign a couple of your mates to help create some sort of playlist. If you have a PC and nice speakers then Spotify is good too as anyone can search for anything depending on the mood.

Booze: lots of beer - two crates of 20 cans should do. About 5 1litre bottles of vodka, loads of coke and lemonade, some rum probably. Maybe a few alcopops. Most importantly - encourage people to BYOB.

Parents: especially considering the general age of the people going to be there, and that you've never had a house party before, it may actually be best if they're in - even if it's only them chilling in their bedroom & having some alone time. Just in case things get messy - I've had episodes with sledgehammers, housepets being poisoned, cigarettes being stubbed out on carpets, fights,etc... it's just good to have them around because 17/18 year old guys are adolescent arrogant little ******* at the best of times.

Numbers: you could go two ways - small group gathering of 10-20 close friends who can invite +1s or +2s so you meet new people but in a controlled environment with people you know and trust, OR go all out and make a Facebook group and leave it open invite lol.

Up to you, hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airoutmyshorts)
    Ok, my two cents:

Music: get an ipod dock and let people muck around and play what they like, OR assign a couple of your mates to help create some sort of playlist. If you have a PC and nice speakers then Spotify is good too as anyone can search for anything depending on the mood.

Booze: lots of beer - two crates of 20 cans should do. About 5 1litre bottles of vodka, loads of coke and lemonade, some rum probably. Maybe a few alcopops. Most importantly - encourage people to BYOB.

Parents: especially considering the general age of the people going to be there, and that you've never had a house party before, it may actually be best if they're in - even if it's only them chilling in their bedroom & having some alone time. Just in case things get messy - I've had episodes with sledgehammers, housepets being poisoned, cigarettes being stubbed out on carpets, fights,etc... it's just good to have them around because 17/18 year old guys are adolescent arrogant little ******* at the best of times.

Numbers: you could go two ways - small group gathering of 10-20 close friends who can invite +1s or +2s so you meet new people but in a controlled environment with people you know and trust, OR go all out and make a Facebook group and leave it open invite lol.

A good group of friends usually wouldnt end in fights + sledgehammers.

Dont provide alcohol either! It will be gone in a second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortRef)
    A good group of friends usually wouldnt end in fights + sledgehammers.

Dont provide alcohol either! It will be gone in a second.
    Of course if it's a good group of friends then the parents/worries aren't necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a decent amount of booze but tell everyone to bring their own as well. Put away valuables and lock bedrooms.

Prepare some good playlists to get people in the party mood.

ReputationRep:
    Tell everyone to bring their own alcohol, but always have a bucket or whatnot of ice filled with alcohol to share, just to get things going and social

Numbers depends on the size of your friendship group, 30-ish should be sound, leaves space for a couple of people to be absent, and a couple of newbies to come

And yeah, someone mentioned the docking station, always do that, if you don't have one, ask a friend to bring one, always a winner

ReputationRep:
    Send the parents out, and buy some alcohol but get people to bring their own, too.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say stock but cheap alcohol- cheap vodka/soft drinks/maybe a case of alcopops and a crate [or two] of beer or cider, then encourage bring your own. Or even organise that someone 18 buys then everyone gives them a fiver or something?

Have doritos! Theyre a bit messy but a hoover solves that, everyone loves nibbles

Set up chairs in garden if you have one, nicer than people smoking in your house

Ipod dock or spotify

Invite about 15 people with option of a plus one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayleyk)
    I'd say stock but cheap alcohol- cheap vodka/soft drinks/maybe a case of alcopops and a crate [or two] of beer or cider, then encourage bring your own. Or even organise that someone 18 buys then everyone gives them a fiver or something?

Have doritos! Theyre a bit messy but a hoover solves that, everyone loves nibbles

Set up chairs in garden if you have one, nicer than people smoking in your house

Ipod dock or spotify

Invite about 15 people with option of a plus one
    Having an advertisement blaring out of the speakers every other song.. not a good look?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Thanks
    x
    no parents for a start :p:

invite how many will fit

perhaps split your rooms up so that everyone is catered for, say a more gothic/rock room witht that music, a cheesy pop room etc. do food, especially pizza yum

get a yard of ale! :p: theyre gooooooooooooooood (but made me well sick at my 18th :p:). you can get them cheap, contrary to belief lol (mine was a tenner)

people could bring their ipods and you provide speakers

usually though the guests also help out to make the party fun...just depends how the evening goes

if this 17th goes well and is this big...just imagine your 18th!! :p:

EDIT: and lots of alcohol helps too

ReputationRep:
    Laughing Gas. I shall say no more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airoutmyshorts)
    Ok, my two cents:

This sounds like sound advice, but the parents thing really depends on how 'cool' your parents are. If they're going to constantly be there and interrupting everything, then better to get them out of there.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Thanks
    x
    My parents threw me a house party for my 16th and 17th. I just invited a good group of friends (no weirdos ) and my parents asked my brothers etc and they pretty much kept themselves to theirselves and weren't in the way of us.

If your parents are cool with things like this then why not do something similar? It would make people be more careful round your house. You're less likely to end up with things broke/smashed/spilled and you'll have some help cleaning up after.

You could grab a few large quantities of different drinks (big bottle of spirit and mixers, crate of beer and crate of alcopops) and then ask people to bring whatever they wana drink. That way you won't run out and will probably have some left for the weekend after :bigsmile:

As for music... just wire something up in the background, it doesn't have to be anything special. Or you could let a karaoke run and see if anyone starts having a play after a few drinks - I did this, after a few hours 12 of us were bellowing 'Livin' on a prayer' lol.

If you wana ask anything else about the ones I had then feel free

Ideas:

Bbq - Parents could do this if they're up for it!
    Take-away
    Drinking games to get everyone chatting

Hope you enjoy it whatever you do

ReputationRep:
    i throw them all the time as my parents are always on holiday...

im lucky enough to have a nice big garden and heaters and stuff outside. so thats where i always end up having the party. also the hot tub helps but i hate opening that though some times but it makes a good party.

if its your first, ask your parents if they can go out for a meal or something and then come back about 10ish. and agree with them that they will go up stairs etc and what time you want your mates to go. if you have it at 7...and you will all b like 17ish and your parents are in say to your mates 'parents are in so they kind of want ever one out like half 12 - 1' tell them not to have tea and get takeaways. tell them to bring there own beer and stuff, that way people can drink what they like. and the music do what everyone else has said and some mates around like 2 days before and make some cd.s or ask some of your friends to bring some good ones..

tip... always have music on before anyone gets there. move all stuff that could get smashed or broken. get some chairs out, dont have all the lights on so its really bright! just have it so its like 'set a mood' if you get me, gets more of a party atmosphere..

then more you drink...more you all have a laugh.

just invite close mates first and tell them that your parents are going out first but are coming bk but staying out of the way..that way if anyone does think about crashing it they will have second thoughts because they know your parents might be in.

good luck fella. have a good night

and happy birthday for when ever it is!

ReputationRep:
    YOu guys are all awsome - thank you so much! - It might actually go relatively well now!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Laughing Gas. I shall say no more.
    I'm intrigued...

ReputationRep:
    Aclohol, music, friends, no parents what more do you need oh and jsut let every1 crash its always better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.