Turn on thread page Beta

Employer paying under new minimum wage? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im on an apprenticeship scheme which pays £85 a week and includes (as stated in my contract) free accomodation and free 3 meals a day.

As I understand, the new apprenticeship minimum wage has now been raised to £95 a week. My employer is claiming that they are actually paying me £116.22 a week but deducting £31.22 per week for accomodation (resulting in the original £85 a week) and so they are saying they dont need to raise my final weekly pay as i am 'apparently' paid this £116.22.

MY question is are they allowed to bypass the apprenticeship minimum wage in this way? Especially when my contract states that I will be recieveing free accomodation rather then having the cost of it deducted from my pay.

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Free means free, they can't deduct anything. Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. They'll be able to help more than i can

:grin:

If your contract states that you will receive free accomodation then why are they deducting £31.22 per week for accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    If your contract states that you will receive free accomodation then why are they deducting £31.22 per week for accomodation?
    I do wonder

ReputationRep:
    If your contract says free accomodation then you are entitled to the wage increase!

Althought is it worth pissing off your employer for an extra £10 a week as they may then change your contract and withdraw the free accomodation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsoh?)
    If your contract says free accomodation then you are entitled to the wage increase!

Althought is it worth pissing off your employer for an extra £10 a week as they may then change your contract and withdraw the free accomodation!
    They cant just change the contract whenever they want, surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    They cant just change the contract whenever they want, surely.
    No they can't but it must come up for renewal at some point...

For me personally £10 a week isn't enough to put a strain on my working relationship if they are going to be difficult about it, but it depends on your circumstances and whether it is really needed or not!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert but I believe they're right. The accommodation probably counts as "benefit in kind" and as such might well count towards minimum wage.

However I wouldn't take my word on it, I suggest calling the Minimum Wage Hotline on 0845 6000 678 and asking them.

ReputationRep:
    See here - employers can deduct some accommodation money and remain within the NMW.

However, as ttx said, the help line would be able to advise you.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.